1. #8241
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The whole damn world runs on computers. I have a hard time believing you'd be ok with a president who has no ability to operate one.
    Not being able to operate a computer doesn't mean you can't have valid opinions and solid judgement.

    Nominating someone like Sarah Palin shows pretty clearly that you don't though.

  2. #8242
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Not being able to operate a computer doesn't mean you can't have valid opinions and solid judgement.
    Well yeah but you still have to be able to do the bloody job. I'd imagine not being able to use e-mail would be kind of a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  3. #8243
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I dunno I think Obama being so lame he can't use an Iphone is pretty bad.
    I just want to point out the irony of this statement coming from a man who supports Mittens.

  4. #8244
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'd imagine not being able to use e-mail would be kind of a big deal.
    That's what I don't get about the criticisms of Obama going golfing (or Bush hanging out on his ranch, for that matter). This is the 21st Century. They're in contact with the entire world at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  5. #8245
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well yeah but you still have to be able to do the bloody job. I'd imagine not being able to use e-mail would be kind of a big deal.
    Just hire someone to read your e-mail and write up summaries for you to read! Kind of embarassing when the wife sends a racy note though.

  6. #8246
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Guys. I'm not trying to stifle discussion, but the personal attacks and snipes need to go. You guys should be better than this. If you want to discuss politics then you need to be very strict about conforming to the rules. Deviation, especially this close to election is going to be looked at and dealt with more harshly.

  7. #8247
    The Lightbringer Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    3,492
    McCain doesn't use a computer because of his time spent as a POW.


    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...y-doesnt-mcca/

  8. #8248
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Not being able to operate a computer doesn't mean you can't have valid opinions and solid judgement.
    I find it very hard to believe that there's a single American that I'd consider to have valid opinions and solid judgment regarding issues that would be important for an office holder that doesn't know how to operate a computer.

  9. #8249
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    McCain doesn't use a computer because of his time spent as a POW.

    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...y-doesnt-mcca/
    While that is sad, we really are living in a digital age, and there's more ways to use a computer than simply typing, though it is the most common. A few button clicks on a handheld device need not require raising his arms, and most devices have talk-to-text.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  10. #8250
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    While that is sad, we really are living in a digital age, and there's more ways to use a computer than simply typing, though it is the most common. A few button clicks on a handheld device need not require raising his arms, and most devices have talk-to-text.
    That and computer illiteracy is different than physical handicaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  11. #8251
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That and computer illiteracy is different than physical handicaps.
    Indeed, there's a vast difference between "I don't know how to use a computer" and "I'm a disabled vet and find typing physically uncomfortable".

  12. #8252
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That and computer illiteracy is different than physical handicaps.
    Indeed, even if he has everything done for him, his e-mails dictated, websites searched, that doesn't mean one must be ignorant of it. I may not be able to fix an engine, but that doesn't stop me from understanding how it works. There are lots of people who live in great pain every day, even in our country alone, and there are lots of ways that technology allows people to access things without more....physical...methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  13. #8253
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    And really, who doesn't know how to flip a burger? They might not cook it WELL, but even I can flip a burger and I neeeeeever grill.
    no flipping neede these days, just slap it on the clamshell grill & press a button.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 05:25 PM ----------

    which incidentally has a computer in it.

  14. #8254
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    no flipping neede these days, just slap it on the clamshell grill & press a button.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 05:25 PM ----------

    which incidentally has a computer in it.
    lol.

    someone still has to do the slapping part. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  15. #8255
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    So when someone links a statistic that's actually obtained through experimentation and research, it's on the same level of reliability as someone who tosses a number out that's based on nothing more than a random guess?

    You're not very smart, are you?
    Clearly you don't understand a joke when it is so blatantly obvious. Also do you not understand that you can twist "experimented and researched" statistics towards any direction you want. All it takes is the correct sampling of people, which is why we have "legitimate" statistics that could show either candidate in the lead of for polls, in the same manner you can prove people prefer Coke over Pepsi or vice versa. Also the fact that you would take a little joke and try to use it as a challenge of my intellectual capabilities, is not only immature of you, but also shows you as a very ignorant and close minded individual.

    Edit: But to amuse you some more because you choose to fall back on your statistics, let's take a look at the statistics and foresight of a source that has been correct in every presidential election since 1980: http://www.colorado.edu/news/release...ado-study-says
    Last edited by Siraeyou; 2012-09-11 at 02:01 AM.

  16. #8256
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraeyou View Post
    Edit: But to amuse you some more because you choose to fall back on your statistics, let's take a look at the statistics and foresight of a source that has been correct in every presidential election since 1980: http://www.colorado.edu/news/release...ado-study-says
    Economic data is an excellent proxy in many elections, and it's even better when considering the history of elections. An individual election, however, has other factors than just the overarching economic indices that are used by the linked analysis. Let's take a chunk from that particular work:

    And though they chiefly focus on the Electoral College, the political scientists predict Romney will win 52.9 percent of the popular vote to Obama’s 47.1 percent, when considering only the two major political parties.
    I'd be perfectly happy to bet $50,000 on Obama if someone wanted to give me a 5.8 point spread.

    If we're looking for a projection system, I'd suggest using Silver's work instead.

  17. #8257
    Silver's work is superior because it looks at a much much larger data set.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 02:41 AM ----------

    And if you want to talk about reliability in the past you can't really beat Nate Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  18. #8258
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    [/COLOR]And if you want to talk about reliability in the past you can't really beat Nate Silver
    Nothing against his work... but I pretty much only know him because of baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  19. #8259
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Nothing against his work... but I pretty much only know him because of baseball.
    PECOTA!

    That's where I knew him from too. I was (and am) a huge baseball stat nerd. It's actually why I thought highly of his political work even before he had success.

  20. #8260
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Indeed, there's a vast difference between "I don't know how to use a computer" and "I'm a disabled vet and find typing physically uncomfortable".
    There is also a difference between a president not using an iPhone and the chair of United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation saying this:


    "Ten movies streaming across that, that Internet, and what happens to your own personal Internet? I just the other day got… an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday. I got it yesterday [Tuesday]. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the Internet commercially.
    […] They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material."

    This was Ted Stevens, the longest serving republican senator in history.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •