10+ Year Old Account
    Could you provide examples of why you think this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Could you provide examples of why you think this?
    Politifact ruling Reid was lying when he didn't say who told him Romney wasn't paying taxes.

The only logically appropriate ruling they could have given is a "who the fuck knows if he's telling the truth or not".

I'm interested in seeing evidence for this.
    It's the only rational explanation for their often puzzling analysis.

Here's a couple examples of verdicts that I'd consider faux bipartisan:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...n-rape-incest/
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...s-under-medic/

These are things that are quite true that get rated as half true because of Romney's fuzziness, not because Obama said something that was actually false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Politifact ruling Reid was lying when he didn't say who told him Romney wasn't paying taxes.

The only logically appropriate ruling they could have given is a "who the fuck knows if he's telling the truth or not".
    How credible is Politifact, though? Most people I talk to or in conversations I read about always say that it's extremely biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    How credible is Politifact, though? Most people I talk to or in conversations I read about always say that it's extremely biased.
    I don't think it's extremely biased. I think their actual writing is usually pretty good. I just think they go out of their way to try to make the actual verdicts as close to even as is reasonably possible (or even unreasonably).

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 10:04 PM ----------

Fair enough.
    Just to reiterate though, I don't think there's any way I could prove my assertion. It's an opinion. I report... you decide

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I wish Obama would just call Romney a fucking liar.

There he goes again stating the 716 billion dollar medicare lie.

President can't do that. Not very Presidential (hear that Mitt?)

His campaign team will do it though. A lot.

It originally was Republicans/conservatives who said it was biased because it refuted what they would say.

Then Politifact pretended it was neutral and would say things are false or pants-on-fire based on a random interpretation of what a Democrat or Liberal has said, and now they agree with the conservatives.

Rachel Maddow does a fantastic job explaining why Politifact is crap. I'd find a video but I don't care that much.

President can't do that. Not very Presidential (hear that Mitt?)

His campaign team will do it though. A lot.
    *sighs* I know he can't, I know. But I would probably go donate to his campaign if he did.

I just want someone to flatout say, "Romney is fucking lying about Medicare and this supposed 716 billion dollars he's cutting from it."

I'd actually like to see that video if you could be so kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think it's extremely biased. I think their actual writing is usually pretty good. I just think they go out of their way to try to make the actual verdicts as close to even as is reasonably possible (or even unreasonably).
    Fact checkers also tend to check only a handful of things, and they seem to try to do a fairly even number so that they don't look like they are piling on. This is fine if both sides are lying about the same amount, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Fact checkers also tend to check only a handful of things, and they seem to try to do a fairly even number so that they don't look like they are piling on. This is fine if both sides are lying about the same amount, but...
    This is true as well.

I think reading what fact checkers are saying is a great idea, it's just that making final decisions based on what their numbers look like isn't useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'd actually like to see that video if you could be so kind.
    She has a segment called "Politifact, you're fired!" that she began running in January. Here's part 1:

Politifact in a nutshell as per Rachel Maddow: "How do two true things add up to Half-True?"
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-10-04 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god, this moderator is irritating me so much. Excuse me sir, we're watching this to hear the candidates. Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    My god, this moderator is irritating me so much. Excuse me sir, we're watching this to hear the candidates. Not you.
    I like him. I think he's got a great dry sense of humor and has done a nice job keeping things on track. Keep in mind, he has rules that he's supposed to follow, and he's attempting to do so while giving enough leeway to let them say what they want to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm not seeing the downside to this. Incidentally, this is possibly the greatest blog post ever -

http://faceintheblue.wordpress.com/2...d-win-and-why/

Awesome blog post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    There are many issues that have to be addressed tonight and the moderator's job is to make sure they are all addressed.

Though I did laugh at Obama's somewhat catty reply to the moderator about the five seconds he had just lost.

Given how much practise Romney has had with debates lately (Republican nominee debates) Obama is holding his own. I just wish Obama could come out and just call Romney a liar. I know he can't but still...

Though its fun watching Romney trying to argue against Obamacare when he instated the same program in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    Though I did laugh at Obama's somewhat catty reply to the moderator about the five seconds he just lost.
    I enjoyed Lehrer later retorting that he was definitely now past the 5 seconds.

Nice exchange there.

So Romney is now bullying the moderator.

Perfect example of him in a nutshell. Trying to have a fair debate and gets bullied by Mitt Romney.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 02:16 AM ----------

"I love great schools" - Romney 2012. That means absolutely nothing. Just like when he said the trees the right height in Michigan.