Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Isaac is estimated at 1.5 Billion in damages.
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/29/news...tes/index.html

Hurricaine Katrina is over 125 Billion in damages
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...e_x.htm?csp=34

So the difference is that Isaac caused about 1.25% the damage of Katrina.
    So 1.5 billion is nothing. Especially to people who live there. I guess you're right, they don't need help. Why even pretend to help them, let's let them fend for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    So 1.5 billion is nothing. Especially to people who live there. I guess you're right, they don't need help. Why even pretend to help them, let's let them fend for themselves.
    Is your position so weak you have to invent counter arguments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

Hey strawman, cool. The state needs to help its citizens at the rate of 25 cents for every dollar the federal government helps them. Does MN and ND complain when Fargo floods that they have to kick in 25% of the money instead of 10%? How about tornado alley?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Is your position so weak you have to invent counter arguments?
    I am sorry that you think 1.5 billion is nothing on your scale level of damages. Since it is not on the same level as katrina, then I guess we should make them pay the whole 25%. I like how you gloss over the fact that the Bush administration paid for the 10% they charged with federal money and obama blasted them for not caring, but now that it's him making them pay 25%, you are okay, because pfft what's 1.5 billion. It's nothing compared to katrina, I mean come on, it's run of the mill as you like to say. 1.5 billion is run of the mill, it's nothing.

Are you seriously doing this? I have friends and family in New Orleans who would seriously punch you in the face over this. Katrina was everything. Isaac was nothing. (Yes, it damaged stuff... but...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882823.html )

In the state I live in, an early frost can be a billion dollar disaster.
    Potato.

I am sorry that you think 1.5 billion is nothing on your scale level of damages. Since it is not on the same level as katrina, then I guess we should make them pay the whole 25%. I like how you gloss over the fact that the Bush administration paid for the 10% they charged with federal money and obama blasted them for not caring, but now that it's him making them pay 25%, you are okay, because pfft what's 1.5 billion. It's nothing compared to katrina, I mean come on, it's run of the mill as you like to say. 1.5 billion is run of the mill, it's nothing.
    Its really nice of you to put so many words in my mouth so I can save time on posting.

Maybe though you could make the words less dumb?

Take this as a time to educate yourself.

http://www.emdat.be/natural-disasters-trends

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Are you seriously doing this? I have friends and family in New Orleans who would seriously punch you in the face over this. Katrina was everything. Isaac was nothing. (Yes, it damaged stuff... but...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882823.html )

In the state I live in, an early frost can be a billion dollar disaster.
    Can you please show me where on your information how much relief they received, I could not find it. Can you please show me where on your information that a presidential candidate used it for political gain, then reversed course int he same state years later?

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 03:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its really nice of you to put so many words in my mouth so I can save time on posting.

Maybe though you could make the words less dumb?
    Did you say that a 1.5 billion hurricane disaster was run of the mill?

Did you say that a 1.5 billion hurricane disaster was run of the mill?
    Frankly? It is. 1.5 Billion in total damages is a relatively weak hurricane. As someone above stated, an early frost in some states can easily do 1 billion in damages. This isn't a natural disaster anywhere near on the scale of Katrina, so the response should be different.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Frankly? It is. 1.5 Billion in total damages is a relatively weak hurricane. As someone above stated, an early frost in some states can easily do 1 billion in damages. This isn't a natural disaster anywhere near on the scale of Katrina, so the response should be different.
    What is your definition of run of the mill? According to the link belf gave us, they say 12 events of 1billion+ have already happened this year. It also states there have been 112 from 1980-2011....that means an average of less then 4 a year. Is less then 4 a year considered run of the mill?

What is your definition of run of the mill? According to the link belf gave us, they say 12 events of 1billion+ have already happened this year. It also states there have been 112 from 1980-2011....that means an average of less then 4 a year. Is less then 4 a year considered run of the mill?
    Considering an annual event is pretty run-of-the-mill, yes, I would say 4 a year would qualify something as fairly run-of-the-mill. Disasters where the Stafford Act have been historically waved have been...astronomical in scale. A disaster that is less than 1/50th the damaging power of Katrina should absolutely not be treated the same.

This is what happens when you get your news from the Daily Caller.

Considering an annual event is pretty run-of-the-mill, yes, I would say 4 a year would qualify something as fairly run-of-the-mill. Disasters where the Stafford Act have been historically waved have been...astronomical in scale. A disaster that is less than 1/50th the damaging power of Katrina should absolutely not be treated the same.
    The stafford act was not waved during katrina. It was paid for by Louisiana using money from the federal government. And I do not think less then 4 a year constitutes run of the mill.

The stafford act was not waved during katrina. It was paid for by Louisiana using money from the federal government. And I do not think less then 4 a year constitutes run of the mill.
    If the Federal Government paid the money, it wasn't paid for by Louisiana. The Stafford Act was, in essence, waived.

I fail to see how reacting to a much lesser natural disaster differently somehow constitutes hypocrisy on Obama's part. Different situations require different responses.

If the Federal Government paid the money, it wasn't paid for by Louisiana. The Stafford Act was, in essence, waived.

I fail to see how reacting to a much lesser natural disaster differently somehow constitutes hypocrisy on Obama's part. Different situations require different responses.
    No, the stafford act was paid by the state of Louisiana. It happened after the state was given additional aid by the federal government. Thereby, the state did pay it, albeit with money given to it from the federal government. There were many outspoken people, like obama,who demanded that the government help Louisiana out. It just so happens that obama made it about the federal government not wanting to help black people.

No, the stafford act was paid by the state of Louisiana. It happened after the state was given additional aid by the federal government. Thereby, the state did pay it, albeit with money given to it from the federal government. There were many outspoken people, like obama,who demanded that the government help Louisiana out. It just so happens that obama made it about the federal government not wanting to help black people.
    The Stafford Act is intended to force states to use their own money to match a percentage of Federal Aid on any disaster relief. In extreme circumstances, that money will be covered by the Federal Government, such as with Katrina. Isaac, while devastating, is not a particularly extreme case, and as such, Louisiana is expected to chip in their part of the relief money. Why is this difficult to understand?

Why is this difficult to understand?
    Because Obama.

Can you please show me where on your information how much relief they received,I could not find it. Can you please show me where on your information that a presidential candidate used it for political gain, then reversed course int he same state years later?
    No. Because comparing Katrina to any other recent natural disaster in the the US I can think of is fucking ridiculous.

Sorry about the tornadoes and such, but... yeah.
    Potato.

Back onto more important things: With the next debate going to be on Foreign Policy, and all of the details still pouring out about the attack in Benghazi, how does the Obama team spin this to not look completely incompetent? At first they said it was because of the video, now that turns out to not be the case at all.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...0#.UHVXCRXA9TI

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...benghazi-post/

Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Back onto more important things: With the next debate going to be on Foreign Policy, and all of the details still pouring out about the attack in Benghazi, how does the Obama team spin this to not look completely incompetent? At first they said it was because of the video, now that turns out to not be the case at all.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...0#.UHVXCRXA9TI

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...benghazi-post/
    Mistakes happen. Doubtless the State Department didn't expect the NTC to be such ingrates.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber