1. #1021
    No what I've been wondering is how you can claim that the number of people who use a road has little impact on the cost of maintaining it.

    I've even provided you a pretty comprehensive link showing maintenance costs, usage rates, and road conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  2. #1022
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No what I've been wondering is how you can claim that the number of people who use a road has little impact on the cost of maintaining it.
    I was always referring to the total fixed costs. There are fixed maintainance costs with bridges as well as the massive cost of building it.

    If we want to get really pedantic, the number of vehicles doesn't matter. It's the type of vehicles. Cars are insignificant while trucks cause pretty much all the damage.

  3. #1023
    So you're still saying that the usage rates don't effect maintenance costs then.

    So you expect the operating costs of a bridge that sees 100 cars in a day to be equal to one that sees 1,000?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #1024
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So you expect the operating costs of a bridge that sees 100 cars in a day to be equal to one that sees 1,000?
    That's pretty much going to be the case, but if you have a bridge with 100 trucks vs. 1000 trucks, then there will be a noticiable difference. But this is beside the point.

    What I've been saying from the beginning is that the marginal cost for each additional traveller is so small, that to maximize economic surplus it could be beneficial to keep it as a public good (unless bridge is at full capacity). And because of this characteristic, bridges and roads are more fit as public goods than some other goods.

  5. #1025
    That's pretty much going to be the case
    Is civil engineering part of a standard economics education in Finland?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  6. #1026
    Scarab Lord Stanton Biston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    I'm not sure if you actually looked at the item you linked, but that's for wells drawing 75,000+ gallons a week.
    I included the link because I wanted to cite my top source. If you check out the LURC regs, there's lots of specifics on drilling.

    But still, it's moot. Even if permits are required, I was referring to the fact government doesn't subsidize private well drilling, which has nothing to do with any regulations on where they're allowed.
    But the government does subsidize private well drilling. Maybe not in Maine, but here in the 9th circuit, shared wells are eligible for government grants and often require the extra grant money to succeed.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 03:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Is civil engineering part of a standard economics education in Finland?
    Oh, he's Finnish?

    Oh, that explains everything. I'm outta here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

  7. #1027
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Is civil engineering part of a standard economics education in Finland?
    The absolute majority of usage related road wear comes from trucks and other heavy traffic. One of the most damaging types of vehicles are trucks on only 2-4 axles. Go ask any engineer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston
    Oh, he's Finnish?
    Oh, that explains everything. I'm outta here.
    What?
    Last edited by Diurdi; 2012-04-10 at 05:17 AM.

  8. #1028
    Fluffy Kitten Dacien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    What?
    Yeah, I'm not really sure, either, Diurdi.

  9. #1029
    Obama litterally invests $5 million in Bullshit: http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...-energy/470796

    Comes out at a nice pricetag of $333,333 per shit shoveler.
    Last edited by Diurdi; 2012-04-10 at 05:29 AM.

  10. #1030
    Quote Originally Posted by zman2967 View Post
    His parents were not citizens when he was born, thus making him ineligible for office. If he was truly eligible to be in that office, he wouldn't have made such a fuss about releasing his certificate. He even sealed his records with an executive order almost immediately after being elected. But I know you Obama <supporters> won't listen to logic. I mean, you do support Obama after all.

    No need for inflammatory language towards users with differing views. - Dacien
    Go back to school please, your parents DON'T have to be citizens for you to be an american citizen, as long as your are BORN IN AMERICA you ARE an american.

  11. #1031
    Scarab Lord Jaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yogurt.
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Obama litterally invests $5 million in Bullshit: http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...-energy/470796
    Diurdi I'm in the power industry, we stopped taking Obama seriously long ago. He is very much so a politician above all else when it comes to energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

  12. #1032
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Obama litterally invests $5 million in Bullshit: http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...-energy/470796

    Comes out at a nice pricetag of $333,333 per shit shoveler.
    Leaving out any gains in efficiency and such.

    Replacing 90% of their fossil fuel use with a local waste product seems pretty cool to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  13. #1033
    Legendary! Callace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ivory Tower
    Posts
    6,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    Oh, he's Finnish?

    Oh, that explains everything. I'm outta here.
    That seems kind of unfair.

  14. #1034
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Obama litterally invests $5 million in Bullshit: http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...-energy/470796

    Comes out at a nice pricetag of $333,333 per shit shoveler.
    You neglected the 100 temporary construction jobs as well as the fact that you do actually have to pay for materials. Even just the 100 temporary jobs and 15 perm ones come up at just over 43.5k a year, if there is no materials used at all.

    But instead you just try to do whatever you can to make things seem terrible. Hooray!

  15. #1035
    The absolute majority of usage related road wear comes from trucks and other heavy traffic. One of the most damaging types of vehicles are trucks on only 2-4 axles. Go ask any engineer.
    So in other words when you say increased usage does not increase maintenance cost you're ignoring most traffic.

    Come on dude. You said a silly thing. Usage rates absolutely drive up repair and maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  16. #1036
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So in other words when you say increased usage does not increase maintenance cost you're ignoring most traffic.
    Come on dude. You said a silly thing. Usage rates absolutely drive up repair and maintenance.
    Yes, you can ignore most small traffic because the damage they cause is very small compared to the heavy traffic.

  17. #1037
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Yes, you can ignore most small traffic because the damage they cause is very small compared to the heavy traffic.
    Right and when you have more traffic on a road you have more damage. Which means more maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  18. #1038
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Right and when you have more traffic on a road you have more damage. Which means more maintenance.
    Yes, but the maintainance caused by light traffic is neglible. That's what I have been saying. A truck can cause thousands of times more damage to the road than a light vehicles.

  19. #1039
    That's not what you said but ok whatever. This is getting dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  20. #1040
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That's not what you said but ok whatever. This is getting dumb.
    You're obviously seeking your own interpretations of my posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •