1. #12121
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Haha, yup!

    But honestly, you can't seriously say you think that a deity appearing in Missouri is any weirder than the entire book of Revelations or the ritualistic symbolic cannibalism of your god every Sunday.
    meh. the weirdest thing for me is this: new testament basically trumps the old, right? jesus changed the rules and all? forgiveness, judge not, etc? so why do i get to apply the new testament to myself and people i like, but apply old testament to gays, women i decide are sluts, minorities, the poor, etc? that is what i see from the public persona of religion atm. and to me it looks like another example of cognitive dissonance

  2. #12122
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Let's be very clear though - Romney isn't saying that the mysteries of the universe are indecipherable, and that he believes there's a deity behind it, he's referring to the literal appearance of a human who is God in Missouri. Please read the italicized back to yourself. Do it again if still seems just fine. If it still seems fine to you, to each their own. I'm not interested in trusting someone that can talk about such a thing with a straight face with Presidency of the United States though.
    Well, if we're talking prophecy, which we probably shouldn't, God doesn't give two squats if we call it Missouri or Mesopotamia. When he comes he'll come wherever he wants. Imagine how people back in Biblical days took prophets saying that God would appear in Israel? Prophesying the arrival of a specific deity is something that's gone on for ages, and every now-and-then someone makes a bold claim that everyone before them was wrong.

    If you're not religious, then God appearing in Bablyon, Israel or Missouri doesn't make a lick of difference anyway. Why is Missouri so much sillier than Israel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  3. #12123
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Why is Missouri so much sillier than Israel?
    Knowing the history of the fraudster that perpetuated Romney's particular variety of crazy does make it seem a bit crazier than some fuzzy handwaving at long gone mystics. Is it categorically any more silly? Perhaps not. But really, the fact that other people believe amazingly stupid things too isn't exactly comforting.

  4. #12124
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If you're not religious, then God appearing in Bablyon, Israel or Missouri doesn't make a lick of difference anyway. Why is Missouri so much sillier than Israel?
    It doesnt but the only way you can influence the public discourse is by pointing out the ludicrous claim that the majority does not follow even if the majority follows a similar such claim

  5. #12125
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If you're not religious, then God appearing in Bablyon, Israel or Missouri doesn't make a lick of difference anyway. Why is Missouri so much sillier than Israel?
    Not that it makes any difference to me, but Israel makes more sense than Missouri within the pre-existing story, doesn't it? Inserting Missouri into it is like those terrible fanfics that screws with the established canon in order to faciliate an absurd plot that's brimming with blatant author appeal.

    Oh wait.

  6. #12126
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Not that it makes any difference to me, but Israel makes more sense than Missouri within the pre-existing story, doesn't it?
    It really depends on what is making sense. One has a deity that doesn't aknowledge a good half of the world, while the other shows his adventures in those parts of the world.

  7. #12127
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    It really depends on what is making sense. One has a deity that doesn't aknowledge a good half of the world, while the other shows his adventures in those parts of the world.
    If you mean Christianity by the doesn't acknowledge part, its because the Bible is a book written and corrupted by men, then torn apart by men, then pieced together by men while throwing out dozens of other books, hundreds of years before the Americas were discovered. Of course it isn't going to mention this half of the world. It isn't a divine document and anyone who thinks it is is absolutely nutters. It was at least in its origins a historical document and you can't write the history of a world you didn't know was out there. As for the BoM, well good for them if they can take the leap of faith that a guy read the thing off golden tablets only he ever saw.

    Regardless, didn't you guys hear that Mormonism is no longer a cult in the eyes of God's voice on Earth Billy Graham so it is an irrelevant point to even try and discuss anymore. Mormon's are now alright with the top ranking Christian that millions believe has a direct line to God so discussing Romney's religion no longer matters since it now doesn't bother most Christians.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-11-03 at 03:57 PM.

  8. #12128
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    If you mean Christianity by the doesn't acknowledge part, its because the Bible is a book written and corrupted by men, then torn apart by men, then pieced together by men while throwing out dozens of other books, hundreds of years before the Americas were discovered. Of course it isn't going to mention this half of the world. It isn't a divine document and anyone who thinks it is is absolutely nutters. It was at least in its origins a historical document and you can't write the history of a world you didn't know was out there.
    Which make parts that make sense, just a mater of faith driven opinion. They are all the same, it all hinges on the personal view of what makes sense. To me, they equally do not make sense. I cannot point to an instance in either book, where one part makes sense. Thus, I am not religious and believe in every religion equally.

    Although it's silly, I do take pride in comiting a carnal sin when I was 9, because my dad told me to go eat a cracker and I ended up attending communion without being baptized. The church was gorgeous and the ceremony was pretty neat. The cracker was bland...

  9. #12129
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,278
    My religion believes that the universe was created in 2003 (any memories from before that time are artificial) by a teenage girl in Japan. It has since been destroyed and recreated multiple times, but we don't remember it (again, artificial memories). Also, if god ever finds out that she's god, then the world will end.

    Clearly mine is the most rational.

  10. #12130
    Pandaren Monk Mnevis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,809
    I wonder if Mormonism will go back on Billy Graham's list of cults should Romney lose, or if it's been permanently made "orthodox" by Mitt Romney's candidacy?

    The definition on Graham's website still is quite accurate, and I don't think Mormonism is ever going to retract their claim on additional revealed truth, or stop recruiting Christians.

    Mind you, I don't think there's anything to be gained by one religious group calling another a cult, I just think it strains credulity to think that this recent "declassification" isn't pure politics from Billy Graham's organization (they say the removal of Mormonism from the sample list of cults was them wanting to stay out of a politicized theological discussion) To me, it seems like pragmatic capitulation, which certainly can be a good thing in the real world, but not to a true believer.

    If it does stick, cool. I tend to look upon all belief in revealed truth as equally suspect, but the Mormons have shown a willingness to revise theirs.

  11. #12131
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Regardless, didn't you guys hear that Mormonism is no longer a cult in the eyes of God's voice on Earth Billy Graham so it is an irrelevant point to even try and discuss anymore. Mormon's are now alright with the top ranking Christian that millions believe has a direct line to God so discussing Romney's religion no longer matters since it now doesn't bother most Christians.
    What is strange to me in all that, is Unitarians are listed as a cult. Just strange, completely arbitrary...

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 04:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post

    If it does stick, cool. I tend to look upon all belief in revealed truth as equally suspect, but the Mormons have shown a willingness to revise theirs.
    The strangest thing about Mormons, is the TV ads that keep trying to sell them being normal. I do not think Mormons are abnormal at all, but with how I feel about advertising, those ads irked me. I think they are normal, but the amount of time you spend telling me you are normal, is kinda strange. But, than again, political season... Appealing to the lowest common denominator... Bla...

    They reminded me of the post 9/11 ads of 'Saudi Arabia, our greatest ally in the middle east'. I didn't question their role, until I saw all the effort to make sure I don't question it.

  12. #12132
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What is strange to me in all that, is Unitarians are listed as a cult. Just strange, completely arbitrary...
    The Unitarians have never given Billy Graham money oops I mean the spotlight for him endorsing their candidate.

  13. #12133
    Elemental Lord Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    My religion believes that the universe was created in 2003 (any memories from before that time are artificial) by a teenage girl in Japan. It has since been destroyed and recreated multiple times, but we don't remember it (again, artificial memories). Also, if god ever finds out that she's god, then the world will end.

    Clearly mine is the most rational.
    Nonsense! The universe was clearly created last Thursday, just as it is recreated every week after the previous universe ends on Wednesday evening.

  14. #12134
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Nonsense! The universe was clearly created last Thursday, just as it is recreated every week after the previous universe ends on Wednesday evening.
    Ridiculous, the universe was created while I was typing this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is frankly, really god damn fucking stupid.
    Potato.

  15. #12135
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    Yeah I just don't get the hate. Well, with some people, I do. I live in Alabama, after all.

    What really pisses me off right now is how this Libya thing is being approached. Hundreds of articles about how Obama screwed up, is covering things up, let those 4 American die, etc etc etc.

    How many articles about who the terrorists are, what we're doing to find them? I haven't found a single one. A bit surprising considering that none of this would've happened if they didn't attack our consulate.

    Just think of the outrage in this country if John Kerry came out the day of 9/11/01 and say this was a huge foreign diplomatic failure by Bush that got Americans killed. I guess we were all Americans back then. This country, for weeks and months, was focused on one thing. WHO DID THIS? Yes, they did come back to figure out what we did wrong, but that was months and months later, not the same damn day. It's despicable.
    Let me fill you in on how the investigation on finding and questioning the suspects linked to the attack in Benghazi, because you must only be looking for that information on Liberal web sites.

    A suspect has been siting in a Tunisian jail sense shortly after the attack. the FBI has yet to question him. and its been over 6 weeks since the attack

    It took 2 Republican Senators to make a few phone calls to arrange it so the FBI can question him,

    Here we go again with more questions that need answers. why did it take two Republicans senators to make the phone calls to arrange the questioning? why didn't the white house do it are they not the ones who said we wont sleep tell we find the ones who did the attack?

    Seams like to me only republicans are concerned about finding the attackers
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2012-11-03 at 08:29 PM.

  16. #12136
    citation please
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  17. #12137
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Let me fill you in on how the investigation on finding and questioning the suspects linked to the attack in Benghazi, because you must only be looking for that information on Liberal web sites.

    A suspect has been siting in a Tunisian jail sense shortly after the attack. the FBI has yet to question him. and its been over 6 weeks since the attack

    It took 2 Republican Senators to make a few phone calls to arrange it so the FBI can question him,

    Here we go again with more questions that need answers. why did it take two Republicans senators to make the phone calls to arrange the questioning? why didn't the FBI or the white house do it are they not the ones who said we wont sleep tell we find the ones how did the attack?

    Seams like to me only republicans are concerned about finding the attackers
    It seems really suspicious that 2 republican senators wield that kind of power independently with no checks and balances.

  18. #12138
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    citation please
    you dont honestly expect one, do you?

  19. #12139
    I think a lot of you are taking that video to mean things it doesn't.

    First, why don't you look at what the church teaches? Official LDS site Gospel Principles manual

    That is the manual for people who teach members about different principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This chapter is about the second coming.

    Anyway, look up Isaiah chapter 2: 2-3. It explains the reason why Mormons believe that the New Jerusalem (Zion) will exist along with Jerusalem.

    “And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.” (Isaiah 2:2–3.)
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

  20. #12140
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you dont honestly expect one, do you?
    I'm a masochist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •