Quote Originally Posted by Titheon View Post
    Presidential elections would be more accurate if we went back to the previous stipulation of people with real property (land) or sufficient wealth for taxation were permitted to vote.
    People with land and sufficient wealth ARE permitted to vote.

Presidential elections would be more accurate if we went back to the previous stipulation of people with real property (land) or sufficient wealth for taxation were permitted to vote.
    That's gotta be the most ignorant view I've seen in awhile when it comes to politics. You are essentially saying, all the people who work the majority trade jobs, or lower end service jobs are somehow unable to think clearly enough to help decide on their own countries future? Are you fing kidding me? How can ANYONE be this ignorant in this day and age?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they wouldn't. You'd have exactly what you have today, except the only way for the vast majority of the population to get what they want or need would be violent revolution.

That's why basically every society that didn't allow over half the population well...had a violent revolution!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No, they wouldn't. You'd have exactly what you have today, except the only way for the vast majority of the population to get what they want or need would be violent revolution.

That's why basically every society that didn't allow over half the population well...had a violent revolution!
    Yeah but if you have a revolution the food stamps will stop flowing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    That's gotta be the most ignorant view I've seen in awhile when it comes to politics. You are essentially saying, all the people who work the majority trade jobs, or lower end service jobs are somehow unable to think clearly enough to help decide on their own countries future? Are you fing kidding me? How can ANYONE be this ignorant in this day and age?
    This is the awesome dichotomy I see in the standard progressive governance playbook. Everyone's vote should be equal (which I agree with) because they all should have a say in how their country is run! Full, pure democracy! Get rid of things like the EC because it is a hindrance on democracy. However... We feel that people, in general, are too ignorant/disadvantaged/lazy, etc, to run their own lives, so we are going to streamline everything, make every choice a safe one, and make sure no one can fail or fall off the golden path.

Wait, what? We're too dumb to run our own lives or to ever learn to be productive, responsible, disciplined citizens, but we are smart enough to to select the people that will be telling everyone what to do!

It sounds to me like a perfect recipe for a nice, advanced dystopian society =)
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Obama is a Job Creator

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent last month, dropping below 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years. The rate declined because more people found work, a trend that could have an impact on undecided voters in the final month before the presidential election.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers added 114,000 jobs in September. The economy also created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than first estimated. Wages rose in September and more people started looking for work.

The revisions show employers added 146,000 jobs per month from July through September, up from 67,000 in the previous three months. The unemployment rate fell from 8.1 percent in August, matching its level in January 2009 when President Barack Obama took office.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1942067.html

I can see it now: "Koch brothers buy up land. Sell 1-inch sections to Republican supporters"

I don't know what "more accurate" in this context means. Do you mean that you think they'd match what you'd personally like to happen?

The problem with restricting who can vote is there's no unbiased way to do so. Leave it up to me, and I'll say, "fuck it, no one without a doctorate can vote".

Former presidential candidate Rick Santorum says, "You can kill things and still like them."

The Pennsylvania Republican made the suggestion in defining his stance on the idea of pulling funding from PBS during an appearance on CNN on Thursday night.

"I've voted to kill Big Bird in the past," he said when asked about his position on the issue. "So, I have a record there that I have to disclose. That doesn't mean I don’t like Big Bird. I mean, you can kill things and still like them, maybe to eat them, I don’t know.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...=Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting this for someone in this thread. I forgot the name.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    How come the Household Survey reported a ridiculous surge of 873,000 jobs (biggest jump since 2003) while the Non-Farm Payroll (Establishment number) added only 114,000 jobs?

Answer: The number of part-time people employed for economic reasons soared by 582,000 (largest one month jump since Feb 2009)

The unemployment rate is calculated based on the Household survey by the way, which includes the part-time people employed for economic reasons, not based on the NFP. So while this makes a good headline number for those who don't understand these stats, the reality is that the jobs report was quite poor. The amount of people who are unemployed and underemployed has actually increased to 26.2 million from 25.8 million in august.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-10-05 at 02:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    How come the Household Survey reported a ridiculous surge of 873,000 jobs (biggest jump since 2003) while the Non-Farm Payroll (Establishment number) added only 114,000 jobs?

Answer: The number of part-time people employed for economic reasons soared by 582,000 (largest one month jump since Feb 2009)

The unemployment rate is calculated based on the Household survey by the way, which includes the part-time people employed for economic reasons, not based on the NFP. So while this makes a good headline number for those who don't understand these stats, the reality is that the jobs report was quite poor. The amount of people who are unemployed and underemployed has actually increased to 26.2 million from 25.8 million in august.
    Structural unemployment and baby boomers say hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unemployment Rate drops below 8%. Can't be good for Romney, regardless of the veracity of the calculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    So while this makes a good headline number for those who don't understand these stats, the reality is that the jobs report was quite poor.
    The issue is that people won't read past the headline.

Much like people won't research past what Romney said during the debate.

Whether it's a lazy, stupid, time constrained, or disinterested issue -- there are a significantly large number of people who operate though headlines and bumper stickers and that's all the info they take in to make their decisions.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Unemployment Rate drops below 8%. Can't be good for Romney, regardless of the veracity of the calculation.
    They were blaming Obama winning projections leading upto last election, on the falling stock market. Watch someone spin the job numbers with positive results from the debate in favor of Romney.e

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    They were blaming Obama winning projections leading upto last election, on the falling stock market. Watch someone spin the job numbers with positive results from the debate in favor of Romney.e
    Lol, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    Obama/Messiah
    It comes from a couple areas. 1. Obama himself (or his campaign) and 2. Obama supporters.

In the first case, Obama has a serious ego complex. They set up stages to present him like he's in a Greek Amphitheatre. In tons of his speeches they set the mic to have tons of reverb even when he's in tiny venues so he always sounds like he's thundering from above. Disagree if you want, but this video of his post-election speech shows he's got a really inflated opinion of himself. In his brain - before he came along sick people never got better. In his brain, he really was going to heal the planet, drop the ocean levels, yadda yadda yadda. The man really is an arrogant toerag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tuAJkbUWU

And then there what are called "Obama Zombies". A lot of them can be found just clicking around these very threads. To an Obama Zombie the man can simply do no wrong. No matter how blatant his lies are, they forgive them. No matter how inaccurate he is, they make excuses for it. No matter how badly he does, how much he screws up, or how inept Obama is on any particular subject they just keep licking up his puke and calling it nectar.

Now, that's just what partisan ideologues do on both sides so it is nothing new. But with Obama it has really gone to levels that are patently absurd. People like the "Obama Stash" woman, or the "Obama phone" kook - people that are just going around worshiping the man for no good reason - thinking that he's giving them money personally from his own stash. Crap like that.

So people who see Obama for what he really is can't help but mock this ridiculous Messiah-like complex that so many people are desperately tryint ot construct around him. Because - in the objective analysis - Obama is a small, petty, arrogant, mediocre twit of a man whose only real accomplishment to date is cramming an unconstitutional health care law through congress against the will of majority of Americans because he knows better than them (yet another example of his arrogance).
    Last edited by The Riddler; 2012-10-05 at 03:54 PM.

Part time hiring going into the holiday season happens every year...
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Part time hiring going into the holiday season happens every year...
    These numbers are seasonally adjusted, so it has spread out the seasonal impacts over the whole year. Ofcourse you can argue that the seasonal adjustment is fucked up, which is certainly possible.