Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Experience doesn't have an inverse relationship with stupidity and ability to put one's foot in one's mouth.
    If you want to imply that experience doesn't very strongly correlate with ability?

And no one is arguing that Biden can't say stupid shit. But to compare him to Palin is pretty silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    And no one is arguing that Biden can't say stupid shit. But to compare him to Palin is pretty silly.
    I don't think this has anything to do with experience. I think it's a result of Biden having an IQ well above that of the typical turnip, which is a characteristic that sets him apart from Palin.

Experience is an advantage, as a general rule. It's not actually something that will make someone that's brutally and deliberately ignorant into a competent individual.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to imply that experience doesn't very strongly correlate with ability?

In terms of foot in mouth moments? I'd say that he is close. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Palin, but the media would be all over Biden if he were a Republican. Whatever credibility the man may have had from his years in Congress, he has more than spent over the past four years.

RE: Inhofe, I don't think he's stupid. He knows his business very well. Its just awful business.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 01:22 AM ----------

In terms of foot in mouth moments? I'd say that he is close. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Palin, but the media would be all over Biden if he were a Republican. Whatever credibility the man may have had from his years in Congress, he has more than spent over the past four years.
    You mean aside from the massive media empire that makes fun of him at every moment?

RE: Inhofe, I don't think he's stupid. He knows his business very well. Its just awful business.
    We disagree. That's fine though. I suppose intelligence wasn't where this started, it was credibility. Inhofe's in his 18th year, and there's not a single person in Congress with less credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Inhofe's in his 18th year, and there's not a single person in Congress with less credibility.
    Maybe... Bachmann?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You mean aside from the massive media empire that makes fun of him at every moment?
    You're really going to compare Fox News bashing Biden with the wide ranged smear campaign that was run against, and admittedly unqualified, Sarah Palin?

How does one objectively measure political credibility? Honest question. I mean we know when someone has it, or at least has less of it. It seems like a measurement that's impossible to separate from personal bias.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 01:26 AM ----------

You're really going to compare Fox News bashing Biden with the wide ranged smear campaign that was run against, and admittedly unqualified, Sarah Palin?
    The McCain campaign put her out front and center and in everyone's view. You're wondering why she got more attention then than the guy the Obama campaign keeps largely quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Maybe... Bachmann?
    Perhaps. I left myself open by making him the singular worst. Bachmann, King, Hank Johnson, and there's probably a couple others in the same territory. Surely he's among the worst though. There doesn't really seem to be any correlation between credibility and experience, that I can see.

---------- Post added 2012-10-08 at 09:28 PM ----------

How does one objectively measure political credibility? Honest question. I mean we know when someone has it, or at least has less of it. It seems like a measurement that's impossible to separate from personal bias.
    I don't know. I'm not trying to measure it objectively in this line of posting, as I think we're all on more or less the same page. I probably wouldn't even be interested in chatting with someone that thought Bachmann or Inhofe were actually paragons of virtue.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The McCain campaign put her out front and center and in everyone's view. You're wondering why she got more attention then than the guy the Obama campaign keeps largely quiet?
    All I was ever saying is that there is a damn good reason for that. Frankly, I'm amazed he made it on to the ticket again.

I can't wrap my head around the idea of President Biden if anything happened to Obama. That just seems weird. Not Palin level bad or anything, just weird.

All I was ever saying is that there is a damn good reason for that. Frankly, I'm amazed he made it on to the ticket again.
    Frankly I think your personal opinion here is too strong to get past. Biden says some dumb stuff. He's one of those people who just says the first thing that pops into his head, we all know someone like that. But that has nothing to do with this ability to perform his job, which is generally respected by his peers and backed up with a long and effective career.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Frankly I think your personal opinion here is too strong to get past. Biden says some dumb stuff. He's one of those people who just says the first thing that pops into his head, we all know someone like that. But that has nothing to do with this ability to perform his job, which is generally respected by his peers and backed up with a long and effective career.
    In Congress, sure. There is no way in Hell I would want this man as a President.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Perhaps. I left myself open by making him the singular worst.
    I'd agree with among the worst.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Being a congressman and being a president are very different jobs. I want wonks in congress. Charisma is a lot more important if you want to be president.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Being a congressman and being a president are very different jobs. I want wonks in congress. Charisma is a lot more important if you want to be president.
    Which is why I'm amazed Obama even lets him leave the WH

I agree with this.

Which is why I'm amazed Obama even lets him leave the WH
    He's good if you want to get a partisan crowd going. I catch myself chuckling to some of his more....interesting lines even when I objectively know they're nonsense.

Scumbag brain and all.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    He's good if you want to get a partisan crowd going. I catch myself chuckling to some of his more....interesting lines even when I objectively know they're nonsense.

Scumbag brain and all.
    To be honest, I know it probably isn't anywhere near true, but here is my theory on Biden.

Obama has him come out and say something crazy, off the wall, provocative and generally laughable. The media has some fun and basically goes "Oh, well . . . . .that's just 'ol Joe Biden!" Then Obama can come out, not sound like a crazy person, and basically back up what he says.

This probably hasn't happened all the time, but I've seen it happen enough times that I actually think Obama a genius if he is employing that strategy. Biden can practically get away with murder because he simply doesn't have the credibility in the eyes of the public anymore. It just softens those talking points in the future.

I think its more that Obama manages to play the calm methodical guy in the room (and if embedded journalists are to be believed that's how he actually is) and that that helps him look good in the circus that is American politics.