Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Gay Marriage legalized in Washington

My home state of Washington is now the 7th in the nation to legalize gay marriage!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1248801.html

Think if we can keep the discussion to the realm of political theory and stay out of human sexuality and religion we can have a nice discussion thread the mods won't have to lock?

15+ Year Old Account
    Congrats. Maybe one day a free nation such as yours will allow true freedom to all it's people across the board.

Earlier thread was locked because this discussion violates the forum rules, according to one of the mods.

And no, it wasn't because the discussion was getting angry or heated, it was actually rather polite.

Just FYI.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-sex-marriage

Locked Discussion ^

What's there to discuss? It's basic human rights protected by the constitution. It's a choice who you want to marry, who are we to say if it is wrong or right?

Sunshine was talking about issues of human sexuality. If we stick to the politics of marriage and governments place in it we won't run afoul of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Sunshine was talking about issues of human sexuality. If we stick to the politics of marriage and governments place in it we won't run afoul of rules.
    My bad then. I'm not sure how there is anything to discuss? The Government needs to apply its rules to all people equally, therefore telling a certain group of people they cannot visit their loved ones on their death beds or get the same tax incentives others get is a poor situation that should be corrected.

Don't care as long as everyone won't go homo.

User infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-02-02 at 06:47 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    My home state of Washington is now the 7th in the nation to legalize gay marriage!

Think if we can keep the discussion to the realm of political theory and stay out of human sexuality and religion we can have a nice discussion thread the mods won't have to lock?
    I didn't ever see it on the ballot.. but considering WA has a lot of strange ways of doing things.. as long as the vote was legal and fair I'm fine with it.. this is a really liberal state..

now it's up to the gay community in WA to make people realize it really is in fact.. no big deal..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Deleted
    Why is talking about sexuality forbidden here?
    And religion (abrahamics) itself is the reason for forbidding gay rights pretty much so kinda hard to talk about this subject. Good luck tho!

Its a good step by the U.S, but still a long way to go. After the "Defence of Marriage Act" which was signed by Clinton, around 20~ states made constitution amendments to prevent any form of same-sex partnership from being recognised legally, whether gay marriage or a civil partnership equivalent. Those amendments made on a constitutional level will not be easy to overturn and I think it will be a long long time before the whole of the U.S beomes a gay friendly place.

Still, this is a welcome step, and hopefully puts more pressure on allowing gay marriage in the U.K :-)

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Good for them 2 ppl trying to make a life together is always a good think in my eyes, but thats just me.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    I didn't ever see it on the ballot.. but considering WA has a lot of strange ways of doing things.. as long as the vote was legal and fair I'm fine with it.. this is a really liberal state..

now it's up to the gay community in WA to make people realize it really is in fact.. no big deal..
    It wasn't a ballot measure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares

Probably not. I don't really have an opinion on the matter as it doesn't really pertain to me, but I don't take any offense to gays being allowed to marry either. So grats to them?

As long as we never get to a point where people are suing churches and things to allow them to marry there then I'm fine with it becoming federal. Like let's say for instance this gay couple wants to get married in a catholic church down the street, but the church refuses on the grounds that it's against their religious beliefs. So said couple gets a lawyer and sues said church over discrimination, and lets say the govt passes a law that forces said church to allow them to wed there and can take legal action against the church if they refuse. That I don't back, but besides that more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Its a good step by the U.S, but still a long way to go. After the "Defence of Marriage Act" which was signed by Clinton, around 20~ states made constitution amendments to prevent any form of same-sex partnership from being recognised legally, whether gay marriage or a civil partnership equivalent. Those amendments made on a constitutional level will not be easy to overturn and I think it will be a long long time before the whole of the U.S beomes a gay friendly place.

Still, this is a welcome step, and hopefully puts more pressure on allowing gay marriage in the U.K :-)
    Eventually a federal measure will be required, probably a SC ruling defining gay marriage under equal protection. Once that happens I'm pretty sure the state constitution provisions become bunk since Fed Constitution > State.

10+ Year Old Account
    woooot progress!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post

With Clinton that was the tail wagging the dog, he has said since then it was a mistake. Much like all the ppl that were pro dont ask dont tell switching their stance because it is publicly ok for a politition to do so now. Sadly in the 90's if you took that stance you were commiting career suicide in almost every state and region.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Yam View Post
    Why is talking about sexuality forbidden here?
    And religion (abrahamics) itself is the reason for forbidding gay rights pretty much so kinda hard to talk about this subject. Good luck tho!
    What this guy said. There literally aren't any non religious based reasons to oppose gay marriage, so if you limit the discussion to only FOR gay marriage, then what is there to discuss? Anyway, good for WA.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't a ballot measure.
    that's because it wouldn't have passed if put to a real vote

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 08:28 AM ----------

Eventually a federal measure will be required, probably a SC ruling defining gay marriage under equal protection. Once that happens I'm pretty sure the state constitution provisions become bunk since Fed Constitution > State.
    the national constitution says nothing about marriage.. heterosexual or otherwise..

the only reason marriage is recognized legally at all is to help reduce the financial burden of raising children..

and since tradition for the last few hundred years has assumed that people marry in order to create a new family.. basically it's turning tradition into a legal process for a tax return..
    Last edited by ishootblanks; 2012-02-02 at 08:35 AM.
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

that's because it wouldn't have passed if put to a real vote
    Given what happened with Ref 71 I doubt it wouldn't.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 08:32 AM ----------

the national constitution says nothing about marriage.. heterosexual or otherwise..
    Equal Protection Clause.

the only reason marriage is recognized legally at all is to help reduce the financial burden of raising children..
    Loans and property
    Wills
    Next of Kin
    Hospital Visitation
    etc etc etc

There are tons of reasons the government recognizes marriages.