Gaming Laptop (Cooling vs Desktop.) Pls Assist

So,

Here's what I am about to get - This is in a laptop the M18x (not a desktop.)

Intel® Core™ i7 2960XM Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.0GHz (8MB Cache) [Add $975.00 or $30.00/month1]

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit [Add $150.00 or $5.00/month1]
    Alienware Recommended

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS) [Add $400.00 or $12.00/month1]

Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M – NVIDIA® SLI® Enabled [Add $600.00 or $18.00/month1]

512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB) Solid State Drive SATA 3Gb/s [Add $800.00 or $24.00/month1]

Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Monitor [$999.00 or $30.00/month1]
    May ship after your Alienware M18x

Alienware M18x
    Space Black Anodized Aluminum, Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit

Western Digital 2 TB USB 3.0 My Book External Hard Drive
    Product Details

HD3 Gaming Chill Mat - Black

---

So,

My first concern is WILL THESE OVERHEAT? CAN I PLAY FOR 6-8 HOURS AT A TIME?

Obviously liquid cooling systems on desktops ect are preferred for gaming, I want the laptop to take to work / travel, but to replace my Desktop as well. I plan on using it with a desktop monitor (as a CPU.) and game with a regular keyboard / mouse / headset ect.

The specs rival most top end gaming rigs (desktops,) that said, cooling on desktops gets rough as is, how does a gaming laptop like this actually stay cool?

I got the cooling pad, but that was it, will this thing burn up after a few hours of gaming?

Also that monitor, is there something particularly special about it to justify 1k? the 24 inch was under 300 .. just curious.

Need advice, and especially from other with top end gaming laptops. (that do the same thing I am.)

Thanks in advance, this is about 5500 for the laptop and another 1500 for the accessories and monitor. But if overheating is an issue, perforce is an issue, I won't buy this ... but need the communities help :-)

Thanks in advance!

Will

Note - this isn't a boast post ... This is a I don't wanna waste 6 grand post :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    As a computer technician, the number one thing I tell to gamer clients is that the words laptop and gaming should never be used in the same sentence, unless you enjoy forking out money every year or two for a new one. There is a fundamental fact about computer components that the longer they run hot, the shorter their lifespan. There have been some half-decent advancements in laptop cooling, but nowhere near the level for consistent gaming. Your components are designed for portability, not performance.

It's just not worth it unless you absolutely have to be mobile. That does not mean playing in the recliner. A desktop of similar specs is not only cheaper, but will last a LOT longer than a laptop.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

This is off alienware ... the same CPU is about the same price, near 5k. Origin was a little more expensive but had liquid cooling. So why do they make those gaming laptops then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinius View Post
    So why do they make those gaming laptops then?
    Because people still make uneducated decisions and buy them.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

Deleted
    Meh its an Alienware, so overpriced and since they are now owned by Dell also not very appealing, just looking at the numbers there, they trying to sell you 16gig ram for $400 and a i7 for almost $1k, totally retarded.

for the sake of $6k you could literally buy a high end PC and Laptop for the price your paying for that Alienware.

Deleted
    Pretty much what's been said already. At those specs heat will most likely be an issue after sustained periods of play. For that amount of money you could get both a
    desktop and a laptop and have some left over.

i wanted to buy alienware too, but these guys at this forum have stopped me from doing this. thanks god!

Alienware = wasted 6 grand... Just build a pc for 1500 give or take and you'll have same performance in your alienware... and u can buy a decent laptop for 1300-1500 that will run swtor just fine.. along with battlefield 3 ect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...27+lcd+monitor

an entire list of monitors that are 27inch under $300... Just do your research and youll find that alienware is shit when you compare costs... hell they make mac's go WTF

15+ Year Old Account
    You've got more money than sense if you are prepared to spend $7,000 on a LAPTOP.

All those branded machines are shit. Low-quality components, underpowered, over-priced, locked BIOS etc. Drop $1000 on this instead - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...ptember-2011/3 - and buy yourself a tablet with the SIX THOUSAND dollars you'll have left over.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2012-02-02 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinius View Post
    I want the laptop to take to work / travel
    Not happening.
    I have an m17xR2 and it's heavy, enormous, uncomfortable to carry. I dare not think how m18x seems.
    Also your battery won't live past an hour and a half.
    Do your self a favor and get a desktop instead, gaming laptops are a waste of money in my opinion.

Deleted
    you can get laptop with exact same specs much cheaper as long as its not from alienware. and why would you spend money on windows?

Deleted
    If you have to get a laptop, and I know how you feel as lugging a desktop, monitor, keyboard around with you from city to city isnt very practical.

That said check out the Asus and MSI gaming laptops. You can get the very high end gaming laptops for 2k$

Now I know that there is alot of hate for gaming laptops, but there are some cases where I think they are applicable...

Now, I have a Sager NP8150 for $1300 and it runs swtor just fine on High (the fleet drops it to 20fps but otherwise runs in the 40's-60's)...

The thing is, I carpool 50 miles (each way) to college everyday and find myself with alot of free time. I carpool w/ someone who works 8 hours a day, when school only lasts me about 5 hours w/ homework. I Lovvvveee having my gaming laptop with me for my free time, just pop it open and start gaming.

I definitely wouldn't spend more then $1500 on a gaming laptop if you actually think that you are going to use it on the go often. For the amount of money you were talking, I would almost get a desktop and a laptop. My current laptop is 8 pounds, and let me tell you, its HEAVY to carry around with you everywhere, take note of the weight of any laptop you buy.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You generally pay for a lot of hype / flare when you purchase from Dell.

I would strongly suggest you check out the following sites.

www.doghousesystems.com
    www.sagernotebook.com
    www.falcon-nw.com

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    You generally pay for a lot of hype / flare when you purchase from Dell.

I would strongly suggest you check out the following sites.

www.doghousesystems.com
    www.sagernotebook.com
    www.falcon-nw.com
    I would also highly recommend http://www.xoticpc.com

Bought my laptop from them and they have amazing customer service!