Deleted

PvP Shadow Spec and general hints?

Hello guys!

I recently decided to level my priest again, its made in 2007 but i was stuck a long time at 67 for some reason. Well I'm working my way up now with alchemy and all and am level 83 as it is. I also decided i wouldn't be healing on it, since I've played healer throughout the whole wotlk expansion so i'm a bit fed up with it.

Anyhow, that would result in a PvE and a PvP spec in shadow, since i do both. I will at least try to pvp on it, even though i mainly do melees for that, so i went onto noxxic and checked out the facts there. The PvE bit seems to be working for me through dungeons and such, and glyphs/spec seem clear.

I do need help with the pvp bit though, i haven't done any BGs or anything so i could really do with a few hints, as i haven't found any pvp-shadow on my realm to ask :S so I'm asking here.

Also about the spec, noxxic seem to have some but i don't really go blindly for that, so if anybody has a great spec with some explanations about the choices i'd be much appreciated! I was wondering if it wouldn't be good to spec into Paralysis, because of Mind Spike giving you the critchance? 4 sec root sounded good to me but noxxic didn't seem to pick it :/. Also thought Improved power word Shield would be good but it didn't take that either. And then the choices between Improved shadow word pain, Harnessed shadows and Shadowy apparitions I'm not clear of what to take.

Glyphs and stat priorities seem clear to me though but yeah....

Sorry if I'm causing any inconvenience, like i should have checked that forum/guide there and read old threads or such, i just don't know really what to look for :S

Thanks for any help in beforehand!

/wiep

Use your fear as a time to breath. Using it to crank out damage while they can't control their character WILL NOT WORK. Use the few seconds you have to heal, run, shield, whatever. Damaging your foe when he's feared will only cause it to break WAY to early.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Use your fear as a time to breath. Using it to crank out damage while they can't control their character WILL NOT WORK. Use the few seconds you have to heal, run, shield, whatever. Damaging your foe when he's feared will only cause it to break WAY to early.
    Okey, i've seen shadowpriests healing alot for being a dps spec. Should i try cast heals while i fear after dots are up then, if they don't have trinket, each time?

There is basically a 50% chance that they will actually have their trinket up and ready to go when you fear them. Try to have NO dots on them at all when you fear. If they trinket, then you have to deal with it, but general you want to use that time for strategy rather then damage.

When he's feared you can heal yourself, or set up a mind spike combo. Sure the fear might break early, but getting 2 mind spikes off and a mind blast crit is still painful for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    There is basically a 50% chance that they will actually have their trinket up and ready to go when you fear them. Try to have NO dots on them at all when you fear. If they trinket, then you have to deal with it, but general you want to use that time for strategy rather then damage.
    This to me, sounds a bit silly. They don't have a "50% chance" to have their trinket up. Scream is a 23s cd, trinket is 2 min cd. If you have any brains it doesn't take much to figure out when their trinket is up or down, and be prepared for it. Or just get an addon to tell you the information as some classes have multiple ways to break from fears and you should be aware of that.

As for DoTs, the fear can take a decent chunk of damage before breaking. I apply VT+DP+SW:P if i'm not needing to heal myself etc and using the scream purely as a defensive tactic. This usually won't break a fear... If they trinket and you're under heavy pressure, horror is your friend for melee classes, and silence for ranged classes.

But back on topic, there are multiple choices to take with spriests talent tree, pick what works with your playstyle.

Deleted
    What's the best dps then? Mindspiking for dotting? Because if i mindspike it might be worth speccing into paralysis, root for melee, root on range so you can LoS. For PvE it would be dots but they might be dispelled so...

Deleted
    You always use dots unless you are having a fair shot at killing your target in a mind spike/mind blast/shadow word: death combo.

Deleted
    Your spec and gear choices will depend on what set-up you wish to play in 2s and 3s, If you just want a regular BG spec I would use this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcroZZ...dzdo:skMokMVz0
    Then go for 4xMooncloth with satin pads and haste off pieces where able

Quote Originally Posted by Yekul View Post
    This to me, sounds a bit silly. They don't have a "50% chance" to have their trinket up. Scream is a 23s cd, trinket is 2 min cd. If you have any brains it doesn't take much to figure out when their trinket is up or down, and be prepared for it. Or just get an addon to tell you the information as some classes have multiple ways to break from fears and you should be aware of that.

As for DoTs, the fear can take a decent chunk of damage before breaking. I apply VT+DP+SW:P if i'm not needing to heal myself etc and using the scream purely as a defensive tactic. This usually won't break a fear... If they trinket and you're under heavy pressure, horror is your friend for melee classes, and silence for ranged classes.

But back on topic, there are multiple choices to take with spriests talent tree, pick what works with your playstyle.

I was speaking to more of a battleground scenario where Gladius is kind of useless.

Deleted
    Im no pvp pro but wasnt there something about using fear to lure a melee into using his trinket where after you could Horror him for a 10 sec disarm *wich the then cant trinket out of*
    stil have to watch out for warriors though... the can rage out of the fear

Deleted
    Thanks for all replies guys!

I have another question. Should i ever alter between Inner Will/Fire ? If not, which one should i use at all times? If yes, When should i swap?

Deleted
    Its pretty hard to write a complete guide for how to play a shadow priest in pvp. You need to go over every comp you might try in 2s/3s vs every comp you may face. If you are not planning on doing any serious arena I could write a dueling guide for each class that is useful for random BGs too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    Thanks for all replies guys!

I have another question. Should i ever alter between Inner Will/Fire ? If not, which one should i use at all times? If yes, When should i swap?
    Always play with inner fire on. I only use inner will if i want to run faster for a reason
    ~May the goat be with you~

Three-time gladiator, two on my Priest.

For someone in your level of experience of the game, the best thing for you would be to read Arena Junkies' Priest forums every few nights, just reading random posts about others' questions. As well, the BIGGEST thing for you to do to learn would be to find a SIMPLE and beginner-friendly guide to PvP on AJ, and to follow it.

Know how many hours I logged on my priest before I got close to Gladiator? About 3,500. Over 100 days played at level cap in a PvP environment. Some people learn quick because they've played other video games. WoW was one of my first competitive games, and my priest was the first class I learned to play and I stuck with it.

What guides don't teach you though, is that it's sometimes better to go with what feels better for you. Play BGs. Ask questions specifically about things you're confused about rather than saying "please help!!!1". Practice.