What can I do to make my PC boot up faster?

Hi, I'm wondering why my Computer seems to load very slow when I turn it on. Is there anything I can do hardware wise to upgrage the speed? I was thinking about whether the hard drive can affect it. I'm very bad with computer hardware so this is why I'm asking. Thanks!

Deleted
    if you rarely need it off, try using sleep mode instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old is your computer?
    Can you give us system specs? (DXDiag)
    Do you know what harddrive you've got?

If it's slow it's most likely:
    1. Your harddrive is filled up with crap (Run Ccleaner)
    2. A part of your harddrive is broken
    3. It's getting old, and by that very old.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I've noticed that SSD's load much faster then most other types, however I don't know what type of hard drive my computer is using and if its even possible to change from one type to another..

A couple of options:

• Invest in an SSD (less than $1/gb now for good ones if you shop around).
    • Remove excess startup programs and junk running in the background.
    • Don't turn your computer off at all and just let it sleep

There are a number of things that you can do to speed up your computer's boot time. If you're using Windows XP, here's an article on how to speed up your boot times. If you're using Windows 7, this article from Life Hacker has some good tips. You should also eliminate startup programs you don't need to start when you turn on your computer, to do so, open up the run command (Windows Key + R) and type "msconfig". In msconfig, go to the startup tab and uncheck the boxes associated with programs that don't need to turn on when you start your PC (e.g. Adobe Reader, Google Update, iTunes, etc).

Your hard drive has everything to do with boot times. Hardware-wise, upgrading to a faster HDD (e.g. from a 5000 RPM HDD to a 7200RPM or 10000RPM drive) will help your load times a little, but the real drastic speedup comes when you upgrade to an SSD. I went from a 30-40 second boot time to a 5-10 second boot time after I installed my SSD.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-02 at 03:19 PM.

get a small hard drive and put your OS on that, and have all your programs and shit on a larger HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    get a small hard drive and put your OS on that, and have all your programs and shit on a larger HDD
    This sounds very interesting as I didn't know you could do this as I'm no PC expert. I wouldn't know of how to go around doing that though..

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 03:23 PM ----------

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 6GB RAM
    Graphics Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Not sure where to find out what hard drive I'm using

Also I use Ccleaner and a lot of other software programs to help improve my systems performance.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 03:28 PM ----------

Changing to a SSD sounds like the best bet but I'm worried about which one to buy and if its a big upgrade to what I already have as I don't know what I currently have. Also which SSD spec should I be looking for? I'm sure there is more to it then just buying any one of them.
    Last edited by MayronWoW; 2012-02-02 at 03:22 PM.