Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Watching the Super bowl.

I`m studying in the US at the moment and I was woundering if anyone had any tips on how I should watch the super bowl. I would go to a sports pub, but I`m 19 years old, so unless they let in 19 year olds, thats out of the question. If you are replying watch it on TV, please let me know wich channels has the best coverage.

You wont be able to go to a pub, but if your dead set on going OUT hit up a local sports bar where they serve food. They will allow people of all ages there.

or

Find a couple of buddies and hang out at home. Have some brews, snacks, and make sure to not only watch the game, but to stay quiet during the commercials! Superbowl has the funniest commercials, even people that don't watch Football watch the Superbowl for this very reason. Play some drinking games during half-time (unless you want to see Madonna). I am pretty certain only one channel will host the Superbowl, I am not sure which one it is this year (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS).
    Last edited by Amontoya86; 2012-02-02 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    Find a couple of buddies and hang out at home. Have some brews, snacks, and make sure to not only watch the game, but to stay quiet during the commercials! I am pretty certain only one channel will host the Superbowl, I am not sure which one it is this year (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS).
    I'm pretty sure Fox is hosting it this year and next year.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best watched with good beer, good beef, good friends. Simplicity!

Oh, and..

Best to skip the 900 hours of pregame hype. Spend that time downing a brew or cooking up some steaks or whatever else.
    And, at all costs.. AVOID THE HALF TIME "SHOW". Your brain will thank you.

How would I get beer when I`m not 21? I feel like such a child asking questions like these... Wish the age restriction was 18 or lower, like the rest of the world... :P

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ask a friend or neighbor? Try to put in an order with someone you know is going to the store and give them some cash? Just don't drive anywhere afterwards, or be stupid and drink in public... as it's highly illegal underage! I agree 21 is stupid, used to be 18 (or lower) in this country too, but alas, no longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokina View Post
    How would I get beer when I`m not 21? I feel like such a child asking questions like these... Wish the age restriction was 18 or lower, like the rest of the world... :P
    If you usually don't drink beer, I wouldn't start just to watch the game.

You probably won't even like the taste the first time you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fattykins View Post
    I'm pretty sure Fox is hosting it this year and next year.
    After going through all the channels on my aparments TV it doesn`t look like I`ve got FOX... Will channels like ESPN not broadcast it at all? If not is it possible to buy access to the broadcast online through Fox`s website?

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    If you usually don't drink beer, I wouldn't start just to watch the game.

You probably won't even like the taste the first time you try it.
    Hehe, I drink beer when I`m back in europe, only thing holding me back here is the legal limit being 21 years instead of 18 like it is where I`m from...

10+ Year Old Account
    After going through all the channels on my aparments TV it doesn`t look like I`ve got FOX... Will channels like ESPN not broadcast it at all? If not is it possible to buy access to the broadcast online through Fox`s website?
    NBC is broadcasting the Super Bowl this year, and it'll be streamed online for free (for the first time).

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, thought you said you were studying the US, not that you were studying -in- the US. This makes more sense now.

What's your situation? Are you at a University? Who are you around and who do you know? Do you have any friends.

I suppose some people go out and watch the Super Bowl at bars, but I think it's safe to say that -MOST- people go to a Super Bowl Party at someone's house. There's usually chips and dip and chicken wings and beer. Like someone else said, watch the game, and commercials, but the half time shows normally kinda suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    yooo get wings

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    NBC is broadcasting the Super Bowl this year, and it'll be streamed online for free (for the first time).
    I`ve got NBCsp (nbc sport) I`m guessing they will be hosting it on this one aswell as thenormal NBC channel... Seems like the person I`m renting from bought a really bad TV package, none of the big channels are here....

10+ Year Old Account
    You said you started drinking beer in Europe, well, in Europe they have way better beer than in the States, you might not like the taste of American beer if you're used to Heineken, so try get some Heineken. And just ask some friends, older brother, cousin or neighbour and just watch the game at home with friends!

Grab some beer, some great food and a couple of friends.
    Personally i live in austria so we're watching it at 00:30, but screw it super bowl is only once a year

Your NBC will be a local affiliate channel and may not be labeled as NBC. in the guide.

It will be one of the low (2-12) channels for the regular broadcast.

NBC in the Philly area is channel 10.

Try doing a google search for NBC <closest big city> it should find the ailiate's website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hot Wings and more hot wings... I'll be watching from home, without a party, because I hate sharing my hot wings... I'll be crapping funny for a week!

Edit:

Go Giants!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    Grab some beer, some great food and a couple of friends.
    Personally i live in austria so we're watching it at 00:30, but screw it super bowl is only once a year
    If you are from St. Poelten, there is a SB-Party in the Fliegerbraeu hosted by the Invaders

I`m studying in the US at the moment and I was woundering if anyone had any tips on how I should watch the super bowl. I would go to a sports pub, but I`m 19 years old, so unless they let in 19 year olds, thats out of the question. If you are replying watch it on TV, please let me know wich channels has the best coverage.
    If you want the full experience of what Americans are subjected to, in the most extreme version, then the Super Bowl is for you! You'll want to find a place with the largest TV possible. Ideally, you're talking about a 65"+ television, in HD of course, that will be easily viewable from your lounging location. Before the game begins, make sure you've got easy access to plenty of food, be it bar-b-que, steak, or finger food snacks.

For a truly American experience, pick up a case of our finest "beer", Bud Lite, and chill it down to near freezing (if it tastes like anything other than bad tap water, you're doing it incorrectly and likely need to add more ice to your cooler). Now that you've got the beer and food options on lockdown, begin snacking up to 2 hours before the game and be sure to catch all of the amazing and insightful dialogue between ex football players, coaches, fans and the rest during the pregame show. It's a great way to introduce yourself into the highly interesting back stories of all the players that brought them to the place they are at today. It will also introduce some element of caring which team wins. This is how the rest of the country gets behind what is likely a team they don't care about the rest of the year.

Once the game begins, sit back, relax, and turn up the volume. If you've got it available, having a smoke with NFL entertainment really will blow your mind. The quality of production, perfection really, will have you feeling like you're there on the big grass stage, enduring every hit with the players. Did I mention volume? Turn it up. The idea is that when whoever you're with is talking, they'll think twice about whether it's worth being heard over the cheers of the fans at the game. You want it loud so that the only things worthy of saying louder than the TV are actually cheers and animal noises. When you're with a group that sounds like they've gone full retard, well you know you're now properly watching NFL football.

There are also many important opportunities during the game to take care of the much needed bathroom breaks and beer repairs. You'll want to take care of this directly after a 1st or 2nd down play, or a change of possession which does not incur a commercial break. It may take a bit to get used to so make sure to extinguish your bladder fires 15 minutes or so before the game begins as many of the pregame commercials will amp up in entertainment well before kickoff. Ideally, you can watch the game with a catheter tube so you don't need to get up at all, however this is not always available depending where you decide to watch. Some sacrifices must be made, so do it when the announcers are discussing why the 4 yard running gain on first down is such a great thing for the team. Be quick though, you don't want to miss a big breakout play.

Halftime. Oh boy halftime. Love it or hate it. This is the Fat Tire beer of the entertainment world here in America. Either you'll see a nip-slip, or you'll see one of our fine pop music acts make assholes of themselves on national TV. It's hit or miss. Personally, I don't miss an opportunity to see either so I make sure that I've got a seat secured for the half-time show at all times. Even if this means missing a commercial break, I will do it. This one is purely up to you.

Second half will take some very careful planning. If the game is close, you're going to need some talent at timing your bathroom breaks to make sure you get to see any last minute heroics that may be pulled off in the fourth quarter. The last thing you want to do is catch yourself with an amazing 2 minute drill by the team down by 6 points, driving for the victory and you feel like your bladder is about to shatter into a thousand shards. Inevitably, they'll score the winning touchdown on a 40 yard bomb, you'll jump up to celebrate, forgetting your dire situation, spraying your kind host with a stream of super-charged, through-the-pants-piss-stream fueled with what is essentially the same thing you put in your body 20 minutes earlier from the Budweiser bottle. Don't be that guy. Sacrifice a commercial, or a 2nd down running play to not be a dick. My $.02.

Once the game is over, and the best team has inevitably foiled the inferior other guys, stay tuned for the heartfelt and intellectual conversations to be had with the players and coaches. You'll learn of the inspiration that led to the great victory, including, but not limited to, the influence of God for the winning team, how hard work and faith just paid off and how God helped the team overcome all odds to win the big game.. etc etc. The mindful observer will note the absence of God from interviews with the unfortunate losers, but such is the nature of faith. It's good though, as this is a healthy reflection on our society as a whole and will give you the full experience that is the Super Bowl.

Well, there you have it! Enjoy your time here in America, but don't stay too long or you might end up loving our amazing, culturally diverse, and intellectually stimulating way of life.
    Last edited by gneugen; 2012-02-02 at 08:51 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wimbo125 View Post
    You said you started drinking beer in Europe, well, in Europe they have way better beer than in the States, you might not like the taste of American beer if you're used to Heineken, so try get some Heineken. And just ask some friends, older brother, cousin or neighbour and just watch the game at home with friends!
    There are a plethora of amazing American beers that measure up very well on an international market that are available both locally and nationally. Just because the steriotype exists doesn't prove it to be true. Heineken is universally considered to be a very poor beer in the beer connoisseurs world. Sam Adams is a good example of a nationally distributed, very positively received American beer. Lots of their small batch crafts and seasonal offerings also fare well.

to OP:

Everyone gets NBC "over the air" if you have standard cable you have it, just have to find it. If it's satellite I don't know the exact way they distribute nationally broadcasted stations. Push come to shove you can even use "rabbit ears" although most modern HDTV's have antenna built in that let you get broadcast stations.

I lol'ed IRL a few times thanks to gneugen's post. Best way to get beer is ask a fellow friend, neighbor, etc. Give him the cash, and as long as you promise to not drive anywhere, you may be lucky