Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How to motivate yourself to start exercising?

Any tips? I keep telling myself i need to change my lifestyle but i can never follow through with it

There's a ton of things that can be motivating. I guess that depends on what you may find 'worth it'.
    - Live longer
    - More energy
    - Generally more happy (exercise releases 'feel good' endorphines in your brain)
    - Stronger/faster
    - Ability to try/do things you wouldn't be able to before (i.e. rough backpacking/kayaking/mountain climbing/etc)

All those are well and good and all, but when I was training people, I would always tell them one thing: I can't want this for you. You have to want it for you. People can motivate you for days on end, but until you want it for yourself, you'll just constantly be setting yourself up for failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop thinking about it and just do it.

The guy above me is right, the less you think about it and just literally do it, you will eventually find the motivation you're looking for. I had the same "problem" as you do a few months ago. The thing I did was planned the whole thing, you know, wrote down exactly what I wanted instead of just thinking about it time to time and then when I finally woke up on the right side of my bed (I felt good one day) I just went on and did what I had planned. I also think that having a friend with you will make things easier or maybe your cousin, sibling whatnot, if you can't decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNkaWdcovw

Ex-WoW player (pvp vanilla).
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3010461094

Zellviren of Invective of Killrogg: I salute you.

Try and make it fun to do! a long run can be great to ease the mind after a long day of work, college, whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a mirror.

I was only half joking! It feels great to see your progress every week. : )

Main thing is just do it. Nike had it right.

Also, check out this site.
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/

Dude is a total nerdbro, he responds relatively quickly to emails, and genuinely cares about the people who read his site.

Listen to Eye of the tiger over and over again

Not joking i really do that if i want to motivate me for sport, for other motivation: epic sax guy!

Here's a trick that worked for me: Remind yourself that it doesn't matter how slow you're moving, you're still running laps around people sitting on the couch.

Start small. Pick a battle or two that you know you can win - work out for 10-15 minutes. Eat a salad before dinner and then take smaller portions. Drink more water. Whatever. The key isn't how much you're doing, but to be consistent about it for a couple weeks.

Once you've taken that first step and trained your brain to know that "not today" is not an acceptable excuse, that habit will continue even when you start doing more.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDpNO7Jl9k , Oh yes. This guy is a bloody legend and a true inspiration to me.

EDIT : Motivate yourself, look at yourself. Look at yourself and think , I MUST GO , I MUST HIT THE GYM. Go through the life hard bro. You're not doing this for fun, you'll be healthier, you'll be a much more fit person, it isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.
    Last edited by mmoc066f087fea; 2012-02-02 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mishmashmoo View Post
    Any tips? I keep telling myself i need to change my lifestyle but i can never follow through with it
    Until you decide you really hate how you look it won't happen. It took me until my 20's to decide it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    Get a mirror.

I was only half joking! It feels great to see your progress every week. : )
    This, look better naked... all the reason you need.

If you're running/treadmilling/biking... either listen to music or watch TV. It'll keep you from getting bored, and distract you from the pain your body feels, so you'll actually push yourself harder.

As for motivation... find something you enjoy doing. Whether it be running on your own, a martial art or a team sport - if you enjoy it, motivation becomes a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNkaWdcovw

Ex-WoW player (pvp vanilla).
    Sweet jesus, Do I have to start dressing like a metrosexual douche in the process?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    If you're running/treadmilling/biking... either listen to music or watch TV. It'll keep you from getting bored, and distract you from the pain your body feels, so you'll actually push yourself harder.

As for motivation... find something you enjoy doing. Whether it be running on your own, a martial art or a team sport - if you enjoy it, motivation becomes a non-issue.
    Good advice here. Doing something you enjoy is key to progress. However, I'd recommend against listening to music while biking. It takes away from the experience, and it is dangerous if you're biking on public roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    However, I'd recommend against listening to music while biking. It takes away from the experience, and it is dangerous if you're biking on public roads.
    I was referring to a bike machine in a gym as opposed to on the road. People should not listen to music while cycling on the road... or running on a footpath for that matter. Far too dangerous.

If you're running around a track though, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    I was referring to a bike machine in a gym as opposed to on the road. People should not listen to music while cycling on the road... or running on a footpath for that matter. Far too dangerous.

If you're running around a track though, go for it.
    My mistake.

Do you find that you get hot on those machines?

Start going. Once you start going, you'll realize how satisfying/enjoyable/fulfilling/whatever, and then it becomes a lot easier to keep up a routine. Oh, and look in the mirror a lot and keep up with your progress. Looking sexy certainly helps motivate you...

The gym is full of hot, horny people, most of which are wearing tight wet cloths that leaves nothing to the imagination.

What more motivation do you need?

p.s. Gyms are called meat markets for a reason