Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Resource Management games?

Hi, I'm in the mood to play a resource management game on the side of my current ME2 playthrough / 1 day a week WoW raiding. Other than the likes of Sim City and Tropico, it's hard to find well reviewed resource management games. It's a plus if it's on Steam, or any other digital distribution (such as download from their site), but not a requirement.

What I might look for:
    * Where I build up resources / an empire with an avatar, or have a more off the side type of manager role (like in Football Manager type games, Sim City, etc).
    * It can be realistic, set in medieval times, fantasy, or sci-fi. Doesn't matter where or when.
    * It doesn't matter if I spawn with a boat, a shuttle, or just a guy trading resources.
    * It doesn't matter if it's 10 years old. If it's awesome, it's awesome.

I think you get the picture. If it's about building the biggest goat farm, and it's a good game, I'm interested. I just want my resource management "fix". Any suggestions?

Starcraft 2, if you can handle the other parts of the game. In the lower leagues it's definitely about resource management though.

Yeah, I enjoyed a lot of the Tower Defence maps available on battle.net, but I'm not looking for an RTS game, which is a completely different genre from what I'm looking for. I do enjoy the game, just not what I'm looking for right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do space sim games where you can play exclusively as a trader count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Lords of the Realm 1 and 2
    Pretty old though

Deleted
    perhaps the Civilization games? Not entirely sure what you do exactly as I've spent about 5 mins with one of them, But I think it's about building up an empire?

Defense Grid has a minor resource management dynamic to it.
    Tower defense game though, but you mentioned earlier in the thread you liked that sort of thing.
    Damn good game either way if you haven't played it.

Deleted
    Try the ANNO series, they're more or less about managing your recources for the best income and there are some city planning elements involved aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Do space sim games where you can play exclusively as a trader count?
    Yes, most definitely. Got any suggestions? I remember a few years back there was a game called the Fringe, or some such, it peaked my interest but I never got around testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Lords of the Realm 1 and 2
    Pretty old though
    Thank you, I'll look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
    perhaps the Civilization games? Not entirely sure what you do exactly as I've spent about 5 mins with one of them, But I think it's about building up an empire?
    Yeah, the Civ games are awesome. I've played them to death, however. But they're in the line of what I'm looking for, so it was a good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihnt View Post
    Defense Grid has a minor resource management dynamic to it.
    Tower defense game though, but you mentioned earlier in the thread you liked that sort of thing.
    Damn good game either way if you haven't played it.
    Thanks, I'll look into Defense Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Klontjes View Post
    Try the ANNO series, they're more or less about managing your recources for the best income and there are some city planning elements involved aswell.
    I remember playing one a few years back, something about having a pirate ship and going from harbor to harbor, and/or engaging in sea warefare. I enjoyed the game very much, I'll definitely see if there are any later iterations.

---
    Games I look for is in the line of Theme Hospital/Park, Civilization / Alpha Centauri, the Total War series, Harvest Moon (if anyone remembers that game?), Sim City, etc etc. Just so you have a better baseline on what to recommend.

Thank you all for the replies so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Yes, most definitely. Got any suggestions? I remember a few years back there was a game called the Fringe, or some such, it peaked my interest but I never got around testing it.
    X3 comes to mind, also EVE is similar if you want an mmo. There's a few more in the sandbox-space sim genre, but I don't know if they're what you're looking for specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Yeah, the Civ games are awesome. I've played them to death, however. But they're in the line of what I'm looking for, so it was a good suggestion.
    Aw, I don't see civ games so much as resource management. Well 3/4/5 at least. Maybe cause I just casually play them though. In that case I would recommend master of orion 2 and master of magic (never played this one personally but it was made by the same company and I always hear people raving about it).

Heroes of might and magic 3 is a must as well, forgot to mention that eariler.

All these games are pretty old, but the graphics are done in a way to where they don't look completely awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember playing one a few years back, something about having a pirate ship and going from harbor to harbor, and/or engaging in sea warefare. I enjoyed the game very much, I'll definitely see if there are any later iterations.
    The newest one is Anno 2070, which is in my opinion the best one in the series if you're not afraid of a bit of sci-fi (some people were put off by the future setting, but gameplay wise I think it's the best one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 or 3

Deleted
    A few years ago i used to play bloody O-Game. Don't know if that game is still alive, but if it is, you can manage resources 24/7 There's not much more to it, though. I quit because i spend loads of time looking at databases in my rl job.

Deleted
    The game your thinking of is called East India Trading Game and I only very recently discovered it, great for a few nights play quite addictive once you get started. But once you get the hang of trading though diplomacy etc. its quite easy.

I would also suggest Anno, I prefer the previous version rather than 2700 but both have their merits. Also I know this is way out of what you originally asked for but I would really suggest Company Of Heroes, it's a good game, not much resource management but hours of fun with all it's modes.

Deleted
    i see you mentioned tropico, if you liked that have you considered the Cities XL?

I've heard great things about Tropico 4, especially relating it to SimCity.. That's the only other resource managing game besides SimCity I can think of... but if you haven't tried SimCity 2k, 3k, or 4, definitely do all those. They're all amazing.

There's Harvest Moon like you mentioned, but the last decent one of those I remember is Magical Melody for the Gamecube...

10+ Year Old Account
    tribal wars its an mmo sorta at least 2-3k players per world
    FTP and based in real time though

Rome Total War: Gold Edition.

It's turn based. Your first turns will take maybe a minute. As you expand and you have to micro-manage settlements, troops, armies, generals, money, trade, alliances, the senate (screw them, seriously), popularity, construction, taxes, navies, and a myriad of other different variables... the turns end up taking 30 minutes if you're thorough. Plus there are real time battles that are fun as hell. Lots of game play as well; you can play as three different factions of Romans as well as ~10 other cultures (including Carthage, Gaul, Britannia, and Egypt, and Greece), each of which provide a thoroughly different experience. There are also online battles, although I'm not sure how extensive they are... I'm honestly not that great at the battles (you need actual strategy to win... flanking, cavalry charges, maintaining moral, not tiring your troops out chasing, proper use of artillery and archers, etc.), and the sieges can be a nightmare to learn properly.

Basically, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakez View Post
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 or 3
    At this risk of breaking the constructive posting rule... This^