Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is Dog insurance worth getting?

Ok I'll start off with introducing you to Delboy my new puppy

So obviously I want the best for him and am considering getting him insured, but is it really worth it? I have looked around and the premiums seem quite high and most have an excess of £60-£75, which is more than most basic one off visits to the vet.

I'd love to hear from anyone who can offer me advice on why I should or should not get him insured pls

Deleted
    i would, definetaly for a puppy. i have no experience with dogs, never owned one, but it seems like the best thing to do.

Deleted
    If you want the best for him cost should not be an issue.

Deleted
    too much insurance going around these days, complete waste of money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    If you want the best for him cost should not be an issue.
    Its not the cost thats the issue tbh, its considering whether it would be more cost effective to just put some money aside each month instead of paying a premium thus avoiding the silly excess charge that insurance companies like to add to the cost.

Should really read the policies and see what you get vs what isn't covered, or what you're still responsible for. Also find out what type of problem occur with your breed...if you know where you got it from, do parents have issues?

I can say this, it can get quite costly if issues occur.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be good to get, it really depends if its worth anything or not if something happens or not. my sister has 2 dogs and has spent over $5000 at the vet for stuff, including swallowed toys, etc since she didn't have insurance.

Deleted
    For a puppy I would take out insurance. At least for their first couple of years of life when they are most vulnerable.

My dogs currently aren't insured as far as I'm aware. My cat certainly isn't. They are old enough (12, 8, 7 respectively) that if they were tof all seriously ill I'd probably opt to have them put down. By seriously ill I'm talking £4,000 operation with a 25% chance of survival kinda territory.

I think it would be good at least for the first year of owning a puppy, simply because puppies are susceptible to illnesses like parvo and distemper.

If the monthly is more than a trip to the vet, instead make your own "Insurance" account. Just put aside the money in a bank account. When you need to go to the vet, medicine, etc, withdraw from the account.

Does the insurance give you any extra benefit? If not, savings account is probably better.

I have had dogs my entire life and never got an insurance policy on one. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have it, because I have certainly had to shell out some cash to take care of my dogs over the years (spent several thousand dollars one year treating my GSD's urinary crystals) but the way pet insurance works (at least in the US) is that you still have to pay at the time of service and the insurance provider reimburses you whatever they cover. As opposed to human health insurance where you pay a small copay at the time of service and your doctor bills the insurance company for the rest of whatever they cover. So even with insurance, if something happens to your dog and you cant afford to take care of it at the time of service, you're still screwed. Better off just putting some money aside each month for in case of emergency imo.

That all being said, I know some people swear by pet insurance and no matter how healthy your dog's lines are, things still can happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I agree with the "put aside a monthly amount in a separate account" approach. Just make sure you diligently put in monthly, or even better, have the bank automatically roll over X-amount of dough every month.

Oh he's sooo cute. I wish him the best and may he love you as much as you love him.

But I wouldn't recommend insurance, it's imho a waste of money. STILL if you want him his best try to find a good reliable vet.

If we are talking about a health insurance id say no. You are better of with putting some money aside. But if we are talking about a liability insurance i definitely say to go for it. I have a dog that has a liability insurance for 100 euro per year and had to use it several times during his life for things he destroyed by accident - so it was totally worth it.

No, just be a good, responsible pet owner. Make sure the breeder you purchased your dog from is a reputable, responsible breeder. Make sure your backyard is secure and there is no way for the dog to get out. Teach your dog that bolting out of the house is unacceptable behavior. Do not take your dog to dog parks or other public places until they are older than one and have had their parvo and distemper vaccinations. Educate yourself on what foods / houseplants are safe to have around dogs, and which ones are toxic, ect. Feed your dog a good, healthy, balanced diet.

If you do the above and use *gasp* common sense, pet insurance is unneeded. I have had dogs my entire life (pound puppies no less) and the *only* time I have ever had to an unexpected vet expense was my own damn fault, and it could have *should have* been prevented. Save that 70 a month and put it in a savings bond (as suggested above) if you are really worried about not having money for unforeseen circumstances... or maybe towards obedience classes!

Just my 2cp. That dog is damned cute. Congratulations!

Omg I want to jump through my screen and hug him. I agree with putting aside your own money, never trust insurance companies, they always try and wriggle out of stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    I have had dogs my entire life and never got an insurance policy on one. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have it, because I have certainly had to shell out some cash to take care of my dogs over the years (spent several thousand dollars one year treating my GSD's urinary crystals) but the way pet insurance works (at least in the US) is that you still have to pay at the time of service and the insurance provider reimburses you whatever they cover. As opposed to human health insurance where you pay a small copay at the time of service and your doctor bills the insurance company for the rest of whatever they cover. So even with insurance, if something happens to your dog and you cant afford to take care of it at the time of service, you're still screwed. Better off just putting some money aside each month for in case of emergency imo.

That all being said, I know some people swear by pet insurance and no matter how healthy your dog's lines are, things still can happen.
    Pretty much what Bearshield said. The other issue is that most pet insurance only covers a set amount of visits before it comes directly from your own pocket. If your pet has a health emergency that takes multiple visits to treat, you're in the same place as with no insurance.

Again this is the US version so the UK might be a bit different. But I think setting aside an emergency pet fund is a really good idea! And good on you for being a responsible and concerned owner!
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    I have a story to share with you. When my dog was 6 years old she got very ill. She required multiple treatments that would cost more money than I had at the time. I had no insurance and was forced to put her to sleep. When pets get sick it will cost A LOT of money and it can happen even if you take perfect care of your dog. Please get an insureance so you don't have to experience what I have.

i just spent 100 bucks on an emergency visit to the vet, and before this 3 months ago 60 for a checkup+30 for rabies shots.

its worth it>.>, specially now my dog is aging (almost 12) he needs to go more frequently and its very expensive. especially if they cover meds, gotta buy pills for his arthritis and its something like 60 bucks for 240 pills, not to bad but still alot.

i wish i had insurance for him.
    RIP Steve Jobs. a great man who gave the world great products.

Deleted
    Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I'm gonna go and do some research I think to get a good deal and if all else fails sort out a standing order to pay a bit each month into a "doggie fund" lol