Deleted

Installed my new gtx 560ti, should I be worried..

Just upgraded to a new asus gtx 560ti, am very very happy, though I had concerns my 550w psu wouldn't be enough because the card requires 38 amp on the 12v rail and my psu has dual 16 amp. Well I installed it to try and it works fine, shoul d I be worried? Will it run fine in the long run?

Deleted
    And the 38 amp on the 12v rail? Iv got basically 32.

As long as it is a quality PSU you should be okay.

While I certainly respect Chaud's opinion, I would probably upgrade to a better PSU. 550W is definitely enough, but I'm concerned about the 32A, especially if they're dual 12V rails instead of a single 12V rail.

I tried to use a 450W PSU with 28A on dual 12V rails in the first PC I ever built, and it fried the GPU (GTX 465) and the PCI-E slot on the Mobo.

I'd recommend something like the Corsair TX550M - same wattage, but with 45A on a single 12V rail.

Deleted
    You'll be absolutely fine, I ran the same card on a 550w PSU for just under a year which is 25A on both rails, using a meter I was only using around 300~ watts anyway.

As a gamer, I'm sure you'll agree that in a year or two time you'll be most likely upgrading anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftfeet View Post
    And the 38 amp on the 12v rail? Iv got basically 32.
    First off your PSU is not a true 550W PSU.
    The calculation for availible W on the 12V line is simple: 32A (combined) * 12V (The power line that matters) = 384W on the 12V line.
    Given that the GTX560Ti is RECOMMENDED to have 30A (note: Recommended does not mean NEED) it would require at peak 360W, now unless you heavily OC the GTX560Ti you will never reach this amount.
    HOWEVER: Given that the TDP is rated at 170W for the specified card and you have other components in your system aswell as it MAY or MAY NOT be overclocked or to be overclocked, i would also recommend a replacement.

The 12V rails will be pushed especially because they are seperate, sacrificing efficiency along the way, not counting component degradation.

The PSU that noteworthynerd linked (Corsair TX550M) is far better for the job, is it is pretty much a true 550W PSU, capable of delivering 540W on the 12V rail alone.
    Your PSU will have to do less effort, create less heat and sound and will last longer.

Your current PSU may be perfectly fine for the moment, but push it too hard and it'll likely snap, as i doubt you have a proper quality one.

People inherently do not understand that just Wattage alone means absolutely nothing on a PSU, example if a PSU (mentioned above) has 25A rails * 2, that would be a combined power of 600W, 300W per rail, and what most people especially do not understand is that even though the rails are separate, they still deliver the power combined to what needs that power.
    Also with the above calculation it also shows that this particular person never had a 550W PSU, but rather a 600W - 700W PSU, depending on the PSU's vendor, if they decided to add the 3,3V and 5V rails in the "Wattage calculation".

Deleted
    OCZ 550W Fatal1ty Series Power Supply

Had nothing but problems from my 560Ti. After 3 tries (2 RMAs), I just bought a 6850 and never looked back. If you're gonna buy a better PSU - get one you can keep: 850 watt HX Corsair professional series is one of the best-built PSUs in production. It'll run you $150+, but you'll never have to ask this question again.