Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

.Hack MMO... Would you play it?

I've been thinking recently while I was re-reading all the .Hack mangas and browsing my collection of old PS2 games.. I came across a thought. What if .Hack was an actual MMO like "The World" is in the manga? I personally would play it to my hearts content because it just sounds so amazing.

What are your thoughts on it?

I would play it, if it takes place in The World/R:2.
    R:X and the .hack//Quantum OVA were crap and should never be made imho.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Deleted
    I've only seen the anime, so I don't know if the manga is much different..

Would be pretty cool to run around in a fictional world, although if bugs like those in the anime existed, not so awesome

No way man, I don't want to get stuck in a video game world

If it was close to the show, i tried the PS games and didnt enjoy them tooo much. But id love to play one like the mmo in the show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell yea lets hope they make one in the future

It would be so grindy and imbalanced. No thanks >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    There was already one, but it was canceled before it released go Japan, there videos all over YouTube go check it out

Absolutely. Was a fan of the series conceptually. Very cohesive metaphor.

if it was anywhere close to what it was in the series, damn straight i would play it. id totally become one of those legendary pkkers on the server =D
    Last edited by Senbo; 2012-02-04 at 01:26 AM.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

I liked the anime. Thought the games were kind of boring...

But hell yeah, I'd play a real MMO based on "The World".

I'm still surprised it never got developed and released as a real MMO personally...I mean, that would be the ultimate tie in after the single player videogames were done with.

But yeah I'd certainly play it, be cool to have events that would literally be like the one sin event or whatever where once someone completes it, that's it. Kinda like opening AQ gates way back in vanilla, but on a more single person level since balmug and orca were the ones to figure out he was weak to spells based on his color or whatever. And you get pretty little angel wings for doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The series is one of the reasons I started playing WOW. If I it was like the World I'd play too.

10+ Year Old Account
    No,the whole .hack stuff never really interested it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If and only if it had the goggles.
    "I do not concern myself with gods and spirits, either good or evil, nor do I serve any."

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrinn View Post
    But yeah, I'll give you Glwys' soul in exchange for answers, Boub!
    And that's how I lost my soul...

They actually did attempt a .hack online game and it failed pretty bad.

Think it was called .hack//fragment

I'm not sure it could work, at least not while resembling anything similar to the .Hack we/I know and love. The dungeon systems is beyond flawed, the fact that you are either in a dungeon or in a city... well look at how that worked out in Cata, many classes are entirely too concerned with buffing and debuffing which I think is really poor class design for an MMO, there's no real lore about The World and it is currently designed without a fourth wall — things that at a cursory glance might not seem important but look at the community for WoW and how often people break into lore debates, it is WAY too grindy, they never even bothered with balance. Most of these work fine in console Party-RPG style, but not in MMOs.

Now if they addressed all of this and fundamentally changed pretty much everything about the series would I still play it? Probably. It's a cool game with some neat ideas and a very attractive visual style. Designing gear would be a challenge, as advancing your appearance does make you feel more accomplished in games (at least I find) though I guess the simplest solution to this would be whenever you raise your iLvl (or equivalent concept) to a certain point you get to do something to alter/enhance your character's appearance.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    They actually did attempt a .hack online game and it failed pretty bad.

Think it was called .hack//fragment
    If I remember correctly the mmo was going to finally reveal the origin of Aura and how CC corp ( I think that's there name.... It's been awhile) became infested with viruses and what not...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    No way man, I don't want to get stuck in a video game world
    This.

It's bad enough being addicted to WoW. I don't even want to risk The World.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    This.

It's bad enough being addicted to WoW. I don't even want to risk The World.
    Oh but what's a little World going to hurt now and then? :P I agree that it'd be more addicting in a sense than WoW due to the way it's played. As anyone will tell you.. moderation is the best way not to play too much.