Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by volar View Post
    Because alot of countries in Europe and in Asia don't have this whole "buy a phone with a plan thing". We just buy a phone at the phone's price,
    put our SIM card in and start calling.

LOL at the guy saying that Apple will get 75% market share, what do they have now? maybe 8-9% of the total pc market? I think there are more Linux machines running (95% of the servers is Linux) than Mac machines. Sure Apple might be growing in high schools/college because hipsters like to pay more for an
    Apple logo on their computer but it's not going to overtake Microsoft, EVER if they keep offering this bad price/performance ratio.

If anything they are losing market share. Android overtook them on the smartphone market one year ago, its something like 45% android 25% Iphone at this moment rougly and a few months ago it was announced by google that there were more tablets sold with Android on it than with IOS aswell.

If anyone can put a dent in Microsoft's leadership it's gonna be Google whenever they decide to release a competing OS. Apple is catered towards a niche market and will always reach that niche market, not more than that.
    Google is cool when it comes to hardware and price, however they'll mine the fuck out of your data, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    You're stuck with an outrageous plan for an outrageous ammount of money, the only difference between the plan in my country 8$ vs 105$ is the ammount of data ( 400MB and then unlimited but at 128kbps compared to 10 gigs and then the same limit ) and a few more SMS and MMS messages.
    Furthermore, you cannot use it with any other carrier, if you travel out of the country.
    I got my iPhone through AT&T and if I travel outside the country I go off VotaFone I think? That's what it is for Spain at least. Also, I went with the crappy 3GS for $50 over the 4 for $200 just because it accomplishes the same thing and this was before I knew the 4S was coming out. Siri alone is worth the upgrade when I can.

Also, with my plan I have 450 any time minutes that roll over, 5000 nights/weekend, and unlimited mobile to mobile. It's $39.99. It's not an outrageous plan. It's the most basic plan available and gives more than the majority of prepaid plans. For an extra $20, I have unlimited texts/picture/etc and it was $25 for a 2gb monthly plan which brings me to a "whopping" $84.99. After the first month, I dropped the 2gb plan and went for the 1gb plan for $15/mo because I barely used 1gb when I was traveling for an entire month. This included watching movies/TV on HuluPlus, downloading apps/songs/etc. As long as you're intelligent and connect to a WiFi network anywhere you can, you use very little data.

And if you live in an area where that's no feasible - tough shit, you're then paying for the convenience of accessing everything when you want, wherever you are.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    I got my iPhone through AT&T and if I travel outside the country I go off VotaFone I think? That's what it is for Spain at least. Also, I went with the crappy 3GS for $50 over the 4 for $200 just because it accomplishes the same thing and this was before I knew the 4S was coming out. Siri alone is worth the upgrade when I can.

Also, with my plan I have 450 any time minutes that roll over, 5000 nights/weekend, and unlimited mobile to mobile. It's $39.99. It's not an outrageous plan. It's the most basic plan available and gives more than the majority of prepaid plans. For an extra $20, I have unlimited texts/picture/etc and it was $25 for a 2gb monthly plan which brings me to a "whopping" $84.99. After the first month, I dropped the 2gb plan and went for the 1gb plan for $15/mo because I barely used 1gb when I was traveling for an entire month. This included watching movies/TV on HuluPlus, downloading apps/songs/etc. As long as you're intelligent and connect to a WiFi network anywhere you can, you use very little data.

And if you live in an area where that's no feasible - tough shit, you're then paying for the convenience of accessing everything when you want, wherever you are.
    39.99$ is a very large amount to be paying monthly where I come from, hell my 125/75 connection costs like 10$...
    And like I said, I get unlimited data, Cheap calls and 500 texts or MMS(es) for 8 bucks, that's a 6 month contract so I can switch if I dont like their service, but I still think it's a pretty penny you're paying.

10+ Year Old Account

That is alot of money... over here (UK) I get unlimited texts, unlimited internet, 300 minutes (more then enough), 100 picture messages (or I can just upload them to facebook) and a free £200 phone all for £15 a month.

An iPhone over here is around £25 (for the most basic plan WITHOUT unlimited texts, which is basically a standard now) and you still have to pay £50 for the phone. I'll stick with my Windows Phone which I brought sim free for £200, which means I can switch to what ever network when ever I like.

Also, I'm going to America, and UK networks don't have a "if you go to America, we switch you to this network" unless you pay a lot of money for it. I'll just get a sim over there and bam, it works.

A 16GB iPhone 4s is $199.99, 32GB is 299.99 and a 64GB is 399.99 with a new two year service plan at any authorized retailer. The phone itself without the service plan goes $649.99/749.99/849.99. If you CHOOSE to buy the phone for $750, that is your issue, but that isn't not the price of the phone. I have no clue why people quote the price of a phone by itself when obviously you are getting a service plan. If you aren't getting the plan, why the hell are you even buying a PHONE?
    You're quoting American prices to people around the world. Which after availability, currency exchange and other factors can vary the price drastically.

Basically, you're telling someone to move across the world to save money on their cell phone.

Plans in the US and Canada are terrible. That's why I just go prepay for 10 bucks a month. 5 bucks for a text plan that gives me 2500 texts (free receiving) and the remaining 5 dollars is for calling. You know for emergencies and what not. And guess what? It works perfectly fine. I'm not spending 60 bucks a month for a plan and I save 600 dollars a year. 600! Don't get me wrong, I can afford it, but this isn't about money, it's about common sense and knowing when you're being ripped off. Plus that's 600 dollars that can be put towards something else. Like an RRSP account which I am doing. It's called being smart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the funny thing is that Apple owes its success to microsoft, when steve jobs returned to apple, they were a few weeks away from declaring bankruptcy, bill gates gave steve jobs a person loan of 150 million to bring apple back

and while i like the design and quality of current apple products, i think that in a few years when they are no longer a fashion statement, and the remaining internal designs influenced by steve jobs are used up, they will return to the downward path
    same can be said for Microsoft if Jobs didn't show Gates the Lisa he never would of stolen the idea of the PC, alto then you can go they both owe there success to IBM giving Macintosh access to new tech
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

Well I have always not liked Apple. But their products aren't too terrible.
    The quality isn't too bad, but they overcharge for things. You can build a better pc with the same amount you would purchase a Mac. Freeware is nicer and more fun to work with. Compare Android with iOS, and Lion with Win7.
    I do disagree with the article as well. I don't think tablets will last too much longer. Laptops and PCs seem to be the easiest things fix and repair. Tablets have that touch screen and if it needs calibration or is damaged then you can't use it. But if you damage a laptop or pc screen you can always use or get another screen.

The suspicious quotation marks everywhere in that article made my head hurt.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the funny thing is that Apple owes its success to microsoft
    Funny...since windows was a direct ripoff of Apples os

Deleted
    Frankly I respect Apple for a few reasons, first of all, all their devices including PC runs on on completely different platform, MAC processors go with a different architecture than the rest of products from other companies and MAC OS or iOS is most stable operating system ever known. They were always innovative, though they also gained prestigious brand name. So I think prices are worth to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by williedabull View Post
    Funny...since windows was a direct ripoff of Apples os
    Yeah and all of them were ripoffs of the Xerox family... Drop it, Apple lost the case.

I personally prefer Apple for media editing, but the line between Apple and Windows / Linux has become thin. Overall I like Windows (Doing shitloads of stuff with Linux now so in a year my opinion might be different). It's easy to upgrade a machine with Windows and there's lots of good, free programs as well nowadays.

Deleted
    appel is apfel on german language

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    How is that impossible? the world is becoming more reliant on computers daily and apple offers the most fool-proof toys gadgets and gizmos of all companies. It's the main reason for apple's success along with marketing in every TV show ever...
    Apple computers used to be boss at editing but now all you need is a windows computer and some software ( lightworks, for example is an excellent FOSS video editing tool. ) Since they stopped using the IBM POWER architecture they've lost that edge and now It's unjustifiable for people who can build the same thing themselves in a different case to pay premium for the shiny case and inferior hardware.
    fool proof ? some hacker only needed 5 mins to crack on apple computer and their website, whie doing the same on windows or linux takes 100 times as much time.

Imo those good results are mostly because of jobs death. And when you look at marker shares apple dropped a lot compared to a year ago. Mostly because of HTC comming back much harder and most companies releasing their own touch screen phones and tables which are mostly superior in speccs and cheaper.

I don't hate apple I just don't understand why you would waste so much money on something that isn't slightly better then all the rest.

I love how they say stuff like people fell in love with iphone 4S etc while there is berely a difference between versions ( and seriously a mm less there and here doesn't make any difference )

Poeple just want to be 'in' and buy apple stuff becaus they think it's cool. Most of the people I know who use apple pc's or iphone and brag about it for it being the best don't even know what PC means or know jack shit about computer or phones for that matter. They just want to buy it so they can tell other people they have it.

and tbh making 13 billion when 90% of the product price is profit isn't really hard :S

I think this thread has reached its inevitable course. Locked.