Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where do YOU use Earthquake?

I know it is supposed to give me more dps, when precasting and if its over 5 targets, and if the mobs will live longer than Eq's duration.
    We haven't gotten to far into HC DS, but so far the only place I use it is on the stacking faces on Yor'sahj. And thats only if I'm not manadrained.
    Other than that I use it for trash...
    Will I use it more as we get our lazy asses deeper into DS? Or is the Talent point kinda worthless?

Where do YOU use it?

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullbanger View Post
    I know it is supposed to give me more dps, when precasting and if its over 5 targets, and if the mobs will live longer than Eq's duration.
    We haven't gotten to far into HC DS, but so far the only place I use it is on the stacking faces on Yor'sahj. And thats only if I'm not manadrained.
    Other than that I use it for trash...
    Will I use it more as we get our lazy asses deeper into DS? Or is the Talent point kinda worthless?

Where do YOU use it?

Thank you for your time.
    In my group the adds do not live long enough to have EQ tick for the full duration on Yorsahj hc, meaning it would be a dps loss to use it over CL spam. On madness (normal) the bloods are dead before they even reach the place where they are supposed to be killed. The talent is pretty much useless for me, although other people on this forum will tell you that it is an amazing AoE, and it might be if you are maximizing dps on trash or doing Yorsahj hc in a 25 man raid.

I use EQ on Yor'sashj, those Adds live mostly long enough (EQ lasts just 8.4 sec without any haste cd's with my gear) and on Madness hc. Both 10man

For Madness P2 we use a strat that involves dmg stop, so that we don't have to handle fragments+blood or Terror+blood, so there's time to precast EQ on Terror / Fragments / Blood.
    I know EQ is nearly useless vs. less than 4 targets but it's better than to just stand around and wait until they spawn and you want every single bit of dmg for those congealing blood in P2.

What bothers me about EQ is that the duration of the effect itself is reduced by haste, but the CD not, so technically if adds live longer than 10secs, any haste is useless for EQ except for the cast itself.
    EQ should have the same mechanic as Healing rain, duration close to 10sec and get's additional ticks with more haste.

Deleted
    Yor'sahj HC, I pre-cast it just as the black adds are spawning. Madness - Im not on HC yet mind - I cast it just as the Bloods are spawning on each of the platforms, I dont use it once they are up because it doesn't proc Spellweave, but its more DPS than 1 extra Lightning Bolt on the Wing Tenticle to precast it so its where the bloods will be.

About having no mana on Yor'sahj, casting one or two lightning bolts after you lose mana is enough. If you cant afford it cast that then just CL spam, but it is more DPS to use EQ. Its a DPS loss to use Thunderstorm to get mana back to cast an EQ instead of using it for damage though.

As for the EQ loses duration thing, I personally find thats a good thing, because most AoE doesn't live very long, so if it did loads of damage over a long duration, 99% of the time the last few seconds would be useless, I'd rather it lasted less time so it got to do its full damage. Quicker Ticks are better for DPS AoE than lots of slower ticks.

10+ Year Old Account
    On both Madness and Yor'sahj, you can pre-cast EQ in preparation for AoE, meaning it's useful in both fights. Yor'sahj 25 especially, since there's more adds and the time that EQ needs to be up to be better than CL is significantly lower than its full duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    What bothers me about EQ is that the duration of the effect itself is reduced by haste, but the CD not, so technically if adds live longer than 10secs, any haste is useless for EQ except for the cast itself.
    EQ should have the same mechanic as Healing rain, duration close to 10sec and get's additional ticks with more haste.
    That doesn't make haste useless. Haste is still increasing the DPCT of EQ both by reducing the cast time and increasing the DPS while it's up. I wouldn't be opposed to it gaining extra ticks and lasting ~10 seconds like HR regardless of Haste, but Haste isn't "useless" either.

I don't know about PvE though I've heard the knockdown helps on the Airship vrykul (I could be wrong!)

I drop EQ on the flags in PvP. That mixed in with Thunderfuck and you have yourself a nice little flag defender

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawman View Post
    I don't know about PvE though I've heard the knockdown helps on the Airship vrykul (I could be wrong!)

I drop EQ on the flags in PvP. That mixed in with Thunderfuck and you have yourself a nice little flag defender
    Magma Totem is good bro.

15+ Year Old Account
    Suprised that this is an end tree talent. As said in this thread, the only times used in Dragon Soul are at Yorsahj and Madness. I don't know how much of a difference it makes on Yorsahj, however, depending on how good your group's AoE is I don't feel it's worth the cast.

Deleted
    Almost never, actually never.

Deleted
    In Haiti, problem?

<Mod Edit: User was infracted for this post.>
    Last edited by Syronius; 2012-02-04 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Mojo View Post
    In Haiti, problem?
    Yes. What kind of upbringing do you have where you can joke about something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    Magma Totem is good bro.
    Yea because any pvper worth his salt knows to smack the totems at least once before touching the flag :P

You can't remove an EQ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawman View Post
    Yea because any pvper worth his salt knows to smack the totems at least once before touching the flag :P

You can't remove an EQ
    True, but Magma Totem in Randoms is great fun. "Herp derp why can I no cap flagz?". Hehe

dont use it....ever, im still waiting for the WORST 31 pointer to ever exist to be removed from the game, i will take -4% magic damage over this joke of a talent anyday.

i love elemental shaman just two things i hate, our survival and the fact earthquake is a 31 pointer =/

it does have its small niche uses but cant bare to talent for something that seems blizz can never decide on its strength, we have cleave lightning and thats a brilliant AoE, anywhere someone might use EQ i will be spamming cleave lightning xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    As for the EQ loses duration thing, I personally find thats a good thing, because most AoE doesn't live very long, so if it did loads of damage over a long duration, 99% of the time the last few seconds would be useless, I'd rather it lasted less time so it got to do its full damage. Quicker Ticks are better for DPS AoE than lots of slower ticks.
    That's not how it would work. You get extra ticks but all the ticks do the same damage as before. So it does no less damage over the hasted period - you just get additional 'free' damage before the CD is up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    it does have its small niche uses but cant bare to talent for something that seems blizz can never decide on its strength, we have cleave lightning and thats a brilliant AoE, anywhere someone might use EQ i will be spamming cleave lightning xD
    And anyone using EQ and cleave lightning will be outDPSing you pretty easily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ct67 View Post
    That's not how it would work. You get extra ticks but all the ticks do the same damage as before. So it does no less damage over the hasted period - you just get additional 'free' damage before the CD is up.
    if thats how you want it to work, your just asking for a flat buff to its damage, which is definitely doesn't need. It has its niche, and in the right circumstances its very good.

Deleted
    In the Dwarf bank. I find it extremely effective to combat my boredom by putting earthquakes on people's faces.

Deleted
    And anyone using EQ and cleave lightning will be outDPSing you pretty easily
    this
    i love people saying this talent is shit. simply becasue you dont get to us eit every fight doesnt make it bad, especially on 25.
    a good place to use it as well is Hagara25 HC, whenever i get an icetomb i drop magma totem and EQ on the stacking spot and lose less dps while in there.... stop being bad and be creative

Quote Originally Posted by Wahotana View Post
    this
    i love people saying this talent is shit. simply becasue you dont get to us eit every fight doesnt make it bad, especially on 25.
    a good place to use it as well is Hagara25 HC, whenever i get an icetomb i drop magma totem and EQ on the stacking spot and lose less dps while in there.... stop being bad and be creative
    That's nice, but if it were a good spell we'd want to cast it whenever an opportunity (ie. the need for AoE damage) presented itself. We wouldn't need to think of convoluted scenarios to justify using it, like casting it before something spawns (because the alternative is to do nothing), or making sure that if we're using it to AoE that we know there are more than X number of mobs, that will stay alive for a large enough amount of time, so that we can justify casting it to gain a tiny dps increase (for an enormous mana cost, though not that mana matters much I guess).

If it was a good spell we'd want to cast it any time there were 3+ mobs up, and lament its cooldown as we spammed CL waiting for it to be castable again.

It's not a useless talent, but it is absolutely "shit".

I cast it in PvP, and on packs of trash to maybe help out the tank and healer(s), but otherwise it is extremely rare - though I don't raid 25 man.