Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Wow... some advice, toughen up. Are you seriously getting butthurt over something perfectly fine? I mean, one of my friends is black, and he's not offended in the slightest by the Witch Doctor! (in fact, it's going to be his second character).

Seriously dude, toughen up and don't blow small things like like this out of proportion (even though there is NOTHING to blow out of proportion).

And if they were stereotyping, then it would be Haitian.
    Last edited by Callax; 2012-02-04 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kai zayin View Post
    This guy trolls like a boss.
    In what way am I trolling?

Is it really that hard to equate a black Witch Doctor who sounds like he's from the movie Hotel Rwanda as stereotypical and plucked right out of bland reality?

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 03:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post
    Wow... some advice, toughen up. Are you seriously getting butthurt over something perfectly fine? I mean, one of my friends is black, and he's not offended in the slightest by the Witch Doctor! (in fact, it's going to be his second character).

Seriously dude, toughen up and don't blow small things like like this out of proportion (even though there is NOTHING to blow out of proportion).

And if they were stereotyping, then it would be Haitian.
    Again, not butthurt, not offended, not anything. Pissed off that the Witch Doctor sounds like he's from Hotel Rwanda and walks around like hes crippled. The lack of creativity is astounding.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRayken View Post

Is it really that hard to equate a black Witch Doctor who sounds like he's from the movie Hotel Rwanda as stereotypical and plucked right out of bland reality?
    You're not trolling, you're being overly sensitive over nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it mainly the accent that bothers you? I really struggle to see the issue...

As for the Paladin being nothing like their real world counterparts, they're kind of in the same boat as Witch Doctors; they're both heavily embellished versions of their real world counterparts; Witch Doctors can't really summon walls of undead, just as Paladins couldn't really heal people with the holy light, they're just fantasy extremes of the real world equivalents, but for some reason one isn't acceptable?

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 03:33 PM ----------

Again, not butthurt, not offended, not anything. Pissed off that the Witch Doctor sounds like he's from Hotel Rwanda and walks around like hes crippled. The lack of creativity is astounding.
    Ok, so your pissed that a black person sounds black, and that and old person walks a bit crippled, and that a necromancing demon fire frog throwing shaman is not creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    More or less.

The way he speaks in that very slow, struggling to pronounce every syllable, old timed "I'm just now learning English" way. The way he responds to everything in this amiable up tone that implies he's good willed and he wants to do things for people. The way he speaks like he's trying to figure out what he means when hes talking. All of it's this overblown African stereotype and it just rubs me the wrong way in a Diablo game. It's not that Witch Doctor doesn't fit, per se, it's that the generic voodoo black guy with a bone in his nose is a little over the top when you hear him speak like he's from the King Kong Remake. It's the entire trope that makes it wayyyy too put on. If he had had a deep voice it would've been a lot better.
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post

As for the Paladin being nothing like their real world counterparts, they're kind of in the same boat as Witch Doctors; they're both heavily embellished versions of their real world counterparts; Witch Doctors can't really summon walls of undead, just as Paladins couldn't really heal people with the holy light, they're just fantasy extremes of the real world equivalents, but for some reason one isn't acceptable?
    I'm gonna quote this guy because he said it much better then anyone else has so far

Could this guy BE....any more stupid?
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

More or less.

The way he speaks in that very slow, struggling to pronounce every syllable, old timed "I'm just now learning English" way. The way he responds to everything in this amiable up tone that implies he's good willed and he wants to do things for people. The way he speaks like he's trying to figure out what he means when hes talking. All of it's this overblown African stereotype and it just rubs me the wrong way in a Diablo game. It's not that Witch Doctor doesn't fit, per se, it's that the generic voodoo black guy with a bone in his nose is a little over the top when you hear him speak like he's from the King Kong Remake. It's the entire trope that makes it wayyyy too put on.
    He's not supposed to be a scholar that knows English, he's an old shaman from a distant land. Also, it's not even an African stereotype, it's a Haitan one...

More or less.

The way he speaks in that very slow, struggling to pronounce every syllable, old timed "I'm just now learning English" way. The way he responds to everything in this amiable up tone that implies he's good willed and he wants to do things for people. The way he speaks like he's trying to figure out what he means when hes talking. All of it's this overblown African stereotype and it just rubs me the wrong way in a Diablo game. It's not that Witch Doctor doesn't fit, per se, it's that the generic voodoo black guy with a bone in his nose is a little over the top when you hear him speak like he's from the King Kong Remake. It's the entire trope that makes it wayyyy too put on. If he had had a deep voice it would've been a lot better.
    Because he probably is only just learning to speak english. How many Witch Doctor do you know from far away lands that speak English? Not many I would say.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

You're right. Blizzard should redo the Witch Doctor and make-up their own accent that doesn't already exist and isn't influenced by any modern accent so it'll be more creative.

The lack of creativity is astounding.
    You do realize that Diablo 3 is made by Blizzard, right? A lack of creativity is what they are good at. On a serious note, how can "not butthurt, not offended, not anything" be true if "pissed off" is freely admitted?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Deleted
    My ancestors came from a clan that the D2 Necromancer nearly ripped off 100% (they didn't have golems, ressurect skeletons, bone magic, real curses etc) and I'm still offended to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by kindohein View Post
    You're right. Blizzard should redo the Witch Doctor and make-up their own accent that doesn't already exist and isn't influenced by any modern accent so it'll be more creative.
    Or they should just give him a deep voice and make him speak normally?

Quote Originally Posted by kindohein View Post
    You do realize that Diablo 3 is made by Blizzard, right? A lack of creativity is what they are good at. On a serious note, how can "not butthurt, not offended, not anything" be true if "pissed off" is freely admitted?
    I don't really accept Blizzard as being "uncreative" ... The other classes don't have any kind of issue with relating specifically to one group of people in real life.

And I don't know, I'm just not offended and I'm not butthurt. I'm angry, though?

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 03:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    My ancestors came from a clan that the D2 Necromancer nearly ripped off 100% (they didn't have golems, ressurect skeletons, bone magic, real curses etc) and I'm still offended to this day.
    And with that, I'm going to request this thread be locked.

So much for trying to be rational.
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.

I don't really accept Blizzard as being "uncreative" ... The other classes don't have any kind of issue with relating specifically to one group of people in real life.

And I don't know, I'm just not offended and I'm not butthurt. I'm angry, though?

You stopped being rational after the first post! (if it's possible to call that post rational...)

Of course and old man who comes from a place where english isn't his first language is going to sound different! What do you expect? Morgan Freeman?

Offended = butthurt... in a way.

You have no reason to be angry anyways, because there really is nothing to be angry about.
    Last edited by Callax; 2012-02-04 at 08:56 PM.

You tossed rational out of the window at the start... so yeah.

You stopped being rational after the first post!

Of course and old man who comes from a place where english isn't his first language is going to sound different! What do you expect? Morgan Freeman?

Offended = butthurt... in a way.

You have no reason to be angry anyways, because there really is nothing to be angry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    You tossed rational out of the window at the start... so yeah.
    "A black witch doctor is a stereotype, the way he acts and sounds is irritating."

"YOU STOPPED BEING RATIONAL WHEN YOU SAID THAT.
    "DONT BE BUTTHURT MAN."
    "THIS GUY'S REALLY STUPID."
    "A PALADIN IS REAL TOO, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT?"
    "A WITCH DOCTOR ISNT REAL THESE ONES USE MAGIC IN DIABLO."
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.

So wait... you want a Witch Doctor (read: not a normal person) to speak normally, just with a deep voice? Didn't you complain about creativity earlier?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait wait. Your upset that the witch doctor is stereotypical too african witch doctors, although the most common ones are haitian. You say its worse because the witch doctor is known for a small region even though there are accounts of witch doctors in different cultures. And you dislike the fact that he seems like he's just learning english although all the lore clearly states they hardly interact with people outside of their culture?
    Am I missing a part of the argument because I'm still not seeing a problem worth being that angry about

"A black witch doctor is a stereotype, the way he acts and sounds is irritating."

"YOU STOPPED BEING RATIONAL WHEN YOU SAID THAT.
    "DONT BE BUTTHURT MAN."
    "THIS GUY'S REALLY STUPID."
    "A PALADIN IS REAL TOO, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT?"
    "A WITCH DOCTOR ISNT REAL THESE ONES USE MAGIC IN DIABLO."
    Haitan is the stereotypes for Witch Doctor's I'm pretty sure anyways... plus you refuse to listen to anyone who proves your point wrong, that's called being irrational. And nobody posted any of that in caps, or in that sort of manor. Incorrect characterization of some peoples posts to further your own argument is also kind of irrational.

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 03:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Agent TunaGhost View Post
    Wait wait. Your upset that the witch doctor is stereotypical too african witch doctors, although the most common ones are haitian. You say its worse because the witch doctor is known for a small region even though there are accounts of witch doctors in different cultures. And you dislike the fact that he seems like he's just learning english although all the lore clearly states they hardly interact with people outside of their culture?
    Am I missing a part of the argument because I'm still not seeing a problem worth being that angry about
    No, you're not missing anything... I'm still baffled by this guy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Agent TunaGhost View Post
    Haitan is the stereotypes for Witch Doctor's I'm pretty sure anyways... plus you refuse to listen to anyone who proves your point wrong, that's called being irrational.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangoma

No one has proven my point wrong. Simply misconstrued it. I never talked about the games lore. Why is this being brought up as a point against a black guy with a bone in his nose? How is this not obviously a stereotype to everyone here?
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.