Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Can I drink old beer/cider?

Hi there, fellow MMO-Champs!

So, I was lurkin' around my apartment looking for alcoholic beverages that I could bring to this party, and then I found 4 ciders and 1 beer. The ciders had exceeded the expiration date by one month and the beer by one month and a week, so I was wondering, can I drink these without getting sick?

Also, if I can drink them without getting sick, can I put them in the fridge for a couple hours without them going bad?

Thanks in advance.

Cidar, yes. Beer, Im pretty sure the expiration date on the beer is when the beer tastes far to yeasty.

You might get an upset tummy. But may as well cool it down and see what happens.

Give us the results of your experiment? Cause im genuinly interested now

Deleted
    You won't get sick from either of those, the beer might not taste so great.

Feel free to cool them.

Deleted
    Ok then, thanks for the fast answers.

Btw, if you were serious Machriren, I'll update the thread tomorrow with my results.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course you can!

Ill be waiting with baited breath.

No, seriously. Ive got a 6 pack of extra dry from nearly 4 years ago thats been sitting in my little alcahol cupboard while ive been off drinking Green fairy.

I do so love beer though, and it seems such a waste to dump it. this thread may give me renewed hope.

Deleted
    I think so yeah And when you're drunk you shouldn't notice anyways!!

Deleted
    It depends where did you hold 'em

Deleted
    Depends greatly on the quality on the product. shit beer/cider will probaly not be so good. but if it is better quality. hell yeah go for it.

Just a month...probably ok. It all depends, like Maynard said, where and how they were stored. Sometimes the beer will go a bit "stale" tasting.

You should be fine, im budgeting atm, and I found in my auntys cupboard those mini beer bottles you can rarley get any more, yea those.... two and half years out of date, I drank 5 of em I felt fine had the other couple last night, they shouldnt do you any harm

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 03:51 PM ----------

oh yea teh taste, wasnt as strong, and was a bit stale but managable
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Just for more reference that it's okay: I searched Google for "expired beer ok to drink" and found...
    There fine to drink... I've spent the last several years collecting and aging beer. There is nothing in beer that can harm you even after it has expired. A warning for you however... If it is cheap beer it may not taste good. Cheaply made pale lagers are designed to be consumed fresh and don't stand up well to the cellaring process let alone rolling around in a car.

Chill them and have a go. If they aren't good anymore... Just pitch them and go grab a 6-pack at the corner store.
    Assuming the cider is already hard cider (since you're talking about beer and a party) I found you can just follow the above quote. If it's normal cider it'll just turn to hard cider.

I don't drink personally, but I figured it'd be good to find out for sure for you so you don't run into anyone killing you or something for bad booze. xD

Deleted
    Expiration date expired does not mean the product is bad after this time.
    Its simply an assurance for the companies.
    Most protucts can be consumed long after the expiration date, especially when there ist no egg/milk or something like this in it.

An uncle of mine even eats yoghurt 2/3 weeks later.

I see absolutly no problem for you

If it was fish I would not consume it, but beer/cider, especially alcoholic drinks do not go bad that fast. The expiration date is a recommendation to guarantee, that the product is definitely not bad and tastes like it should taste. It's not like the product says:"3...2...1...Woohoo...new day...I'm bad now!"
    Last edited by Lór; 2012-02-04 at 04:03 PM.

I've drank a beer that had passed it's best by date by about 6 months. Wasn't too good tasting anymore, but not hideous either.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers everyone

For the record, both the beer and the ciders are from Carlsberg, so I don't exactly think it'd be considered expensive, and I've had them in my room the whole time.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    agree its fine to drink. Beer afaik doesn't have an expiration just a 'best by' date. However if either a
    were stored on their sides and the cap shows corrosion when you open it, throw them away.. Dangerous stuff can grow that way.

Deleted
    I would drink it think of it as a very mature wine ^^ it only gets better with age not sure that applies to other drinks but its worth a shot

- steals booze from his parents

- does not know how cooling stuff affects preservability.

- asks on MMO champ for help.

Let me guess. You are not old enugh to drink anyway, right ?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaroz View Post
    Hi there, fellow MMO-Champs!

So, I was lurkin' around my apartment looking for alcoholic beverages that I could bring to this party, and then I found 4 ciders and 1 beer. The ciders had exceeded the expiration date by one month and the beer by one month and a week, so I was wondering, can I drink these without getting sick?

Also, if I can drink them without getting sick, can I put them in the fridge for a couple hours without them going bad?

Thanks in advance.
    You can absolutely drink them! The taste of the beer (if it's lager) will likely be degraded somewhat, but whether it's drinkable for you will come down to your own tastes.

Feel free to toss them in the fridge first.

EDIT - Ah I see he's already set to drink them, carry on!