Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire Desh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    357

    The notion that GW2's community "will be teh bestest evarrr".

    So I was just browsing GW2Guru before and I came across two threads. 1 is about the leaked "launcher" and the other is about how amazing the GW2 community will supposedly be. I think I have finally snapped. I'll post what I posted on GW2Guru below. Inb4 the post is deleted on GW2Guru and I'm banned. The mods over there are worse than the gestapo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyestor

    Quote Originally Posted by Firstprie
    It's called opinions. And ads up in my face is something I don't like. Played WW for 7 years and It's the best MMO out there, so don't call me a fanboy. "GET DIABLO FREE" it says. They don't say that you have purchase a 12 month subscription to WoW for 205 USD.If Anet will have a ad-free launcher or not is up to them, but I prefer the plain one previously posted. This is has nothing to do with fanboyism.

    --------------
    Edit:
    And holy shit. Look at the comments under this http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3170106
    Seriusly, it's like WoW's community in a nutshell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykriar
    I'm fairly sure ArenaNet isn't going to cloud their launcher/client with tons of advertisements considering Guild Wars had nothing but a little "Enter store" (?) button on the top right of the character selection screen. Color me surprised, though, if they do have more than that in Guild Wars 2.

    That's an opinion. Personally, I do not like the style of Blizzard's launchers because I find them gaudy and I'm sure plenty of people feel the same way. A clean aesthetic does it for me. You, on the other hand, like it the way it is, and that's perfectly fine. "To each their own," as it were.
    Obviously it's my opinion, why would I need to post something as redundant as "in my opinion" when almost everything everyone posts is their opinion. The only things that shouldn't be taken as opinion are things that are flat out said to be fact.

    I don't see how 1 AD for annual pass and a link to the blizzard store (it's not like they're advertising porn or something) on the WoW launcher and none on the D3 launcher is "clouding the launchers with ads". The annual pass is a choice, if you KNOW you're going to be playing WoW for the next year, you'd be an idiot not to sign up for the annual pass and get a free game. If you consider community updates and news "ad spam" then I feel sorry for you.

    I still think it's laughable that you guys don't expect to be flooded with ads about the GW2 in game store (this is their main revenue, you know). What the OP posted is NOT the launcher, that's a login screen. There's a difference. Seriously, you guys need to stop getting so defensive when your blind fanboyism is pointed out to you. I'm as pumped for GW2 as the next guy but I seem to be one of the only people that think GW2 isn't the angel it's made out to be.

    On the topic of how "awesome" GW2's community is and how terrible every other game in existence's community is I'll quote myself:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyestor
    Rofl, if you think the GW2 community won't turn out to be like every other game's community, you've got another thing coming. The reason this site is so clean is because the mods are nazis, nothing gets through and if it does it's promptly removed. Just wait until you get in game. Naivety will be the end of you.
    and add that how many people do you think play video games? Every game has a terrible community in varying shades. I'm betting most people that are looking forward to GW2 play at least one other game. The notion that GW2's community will be a safe haven free from trolls and idiots is ludicrous. The fact that most of the people on this site have a "holier than thou" attitude to everyone that has a different opinion than them really shows how "amazing" this community already is. Seriously, it's shit like this that really brings my piss to a boil.
    Does nobody else agree with me? I seriously cannot be alone in thinking and feeling like this.
    Last edited by Desh; 2012-02-04 at 03:33 PM.

    Main Toon - Hunter (currently an LFR hero). Blue Label - 13/14H (SoO) 25 man.
    YouTube - I post all my gameplay (mainly KH, so far) videos here (mostly boss fights), I am currently running through Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix on Proud Mode. I am aiming to catalogue all boss fights in 1080p HD using PCSX2 to emulate and Fraps to record. Give my videos a watch and some constructive criticism. Thanks.

  2. #2
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    187
    Agree with you 100%

  3. #3
    I'll just asume that you actually didn't play Guild Wars 1 and as such have little to no actual clue how little advertising they've done there even tho it is their main 'source of income'.

    The rest is just a pointless discussion between you and godknowswho about why or why not a bunch of people will or will not hate on another bunch of people.
    Personally I hope the community turns out to be more like SC2s community rather than that of the many MOBAs out there.


    Most likely the community will be divided into roups just as with other games and each group will feel that they're just a tad bit better than the rest, you will probably be a part of one of these groups and feel that you are just a tad bit better than everyone else.
    Last edited by luedieniel; 2012-02-04 at 03:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire Desh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    I'll just asume that you actually didn't play Guild Wars 1 and as such have little to no actual clue how little advertising they've done there even tho it is their main 'source of income'.
    I played and still play GW1. They don't advertise anymore because they don't need to. You have no idea how many promotions and ads they flung around for shit like the bonus mission pack do you? Considering the fact that MMOs back in 2003-2005 operated on different genre standards than they do now, GW2 is going to have no choice but to advertise out the ass to get a decent profit nowadays.

    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    The rest is just a pointless discussion between you and godknowswho about why or why not a bunch of people will or will not hate on another bunch of people.
    Err, no. Reading comprehension helps. I guess you only just jumped on the GW2 bandwagon. Man, sure is fun to make assumptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Personally I hope the community turns out to be more like SC2s community rather than that of the many MOBAs out there.
    Ehehehehe, you probably haven't played any custom games. Just as bad as LoL and HoN.

    Main Toon - Hunter (currently an LFR hero). Blue Label - 13/14H (SoO) 25 man.
    YouTube - I post all my gameplay (mainly KH, so far) videos here (mostly boss fights), I am currently running through Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix on Proud Mode. I am aiming to catalogue all boss fights in 1080p HD using PCSX2 to emulate and Fraps to record. Give my videos a watch and some constructive criticism. Thanks.

  5. #5
    I think that the community isnt gonna be perfect there will always be jerks and trolls the main reason is that its no subscription so people will migrate over. I hope that we will have a good community but I just don't see it being amazing and perfect. so i'm just gonna hang out with my guild mostly.

  6. #6
    cant be any worse then what we have seen from other communities like LoL, WoW and DotA

  7. #7
    i agree - every single game will have idiots and a-holes playing it - just let them keep thinking that the community will be SO awesome, they'll get a wake-up call as soon as the game has been released and made it's way onto ppl's computer

    EDIT: before ppl start crying - i didn't mean that the community will be horrible, just not as good as they expected, which is the problem most of the time - ppl hype everything so far up, that the reality will disappoint them
    Last edited by Sundreamer; 2012-02-04 at 03:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Problem is everyone is right, to some degree. This is called selective perception. There are great people in the wow community, this board and there will be in GW2. There will also be the douches too, everywhere, you can't say they are or will be full of one or the other. Some people just choose to ignore reality, you can't really help them. So yes, I agree with you.

  9. #9
    Brewmaster Neglesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    So I was just browsing GW2Guru before and I came across two threads. 1 is about the leaked "launcher"

    Would you care to PM me the topic?

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Desh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Would you care to PM me the topic?
    Done.

    /10char

    Main Toon - Hunter (currently an LFR hero). Blue Label - 13/14H (SoO) 25 man.
    YouTube - I post all my gameplay (mainly KH, so far) videos here (mostly boss fights), I am currently running through Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix on Proud Mode. I am aiming to catalogue all boss fights in 1080p HD using PCSX2 to emulate and Fraps to record. Give my videos a watch and some constructive criticism. Thanks.

  11. #11
    I agree with you that the community will be probably like any other community once it gets big enough. Some people are just jerks and quite simply the more people play a game, any game, the more jerks there are. And those people are mostly the people that stand out because they say/yell/rage a lot in trade chats, party chats, raid chats etc.

    I still think it's laughable that you guys don't expect to be flooded with ads about the GW2 in game store (this is their main revenue, you know). What the OP posted is NOT the launcher, that's a login screen. There's a difference. Seriously, you guys need to stop getting so defensive when your blind fanboyism is pointed out to you. I'm as pumped for GW2 as the next guy but I seem to be one of the only people that think GW2 isn't the angel it's made out to be.
    I don't really understand this part though. GW1 has the exact same business model as GW2 and there were no ads in GW1's launcher nor login screen. But I really never cared about ads in launchers/login screens anyway, it's the game what matters not a launcher.. And btw for all we know their main revenue will be on box sales (B2P with expansions) unless you know more than me?

    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  12. #12
    Getting hyped too much? I may wear glasses but I am not blind and I definately don't see where the "nazi" act is, on stage. You (or someone else) started a "discussion" on how Blizzard puts ads of their other products on WoW's launcher and it is obviously escalating in an inappropriate manner. The game hasn't even released and you are naive enough to believe they would allow flaming in the forums? That's where this is going to and don't you dare play dumb on me!

    On the other hand, monitoring and fixing the forums is what they should do! It's the proper course of action they must take to protect their product. I can not believe you may reject even the slightest possibility that at least one, Blizzard - lover will take the chance to bad mouth Guild Wars 1/2 in their forums. Have you never went to school? There is always at least one kid in every schoolyard, willing and able to "disturb" things (translate into "opinions" here) around him/her in order to gain favourable odds towards his/her preferences! Even for the most idiotic of all things like a fight for "the best bubble gum" between to idiots, a friend of one of there idiots will scream and cheer and make others to do so too, in order for his side to win!

    Plus there is a reason Blizzard would like such things to happen and may even put their hands on, to help it! They are a profitable organization and would like not only to remain that way, but dominate the market as much as possible! Is it to wonder why they are shameless enough to take ideas of other games as their own? Or waiting half a year to release a small patch (aka 4.2) but when competitors enter the market, there is a huge patch introducing several innovations, in just the same amount of time? Could you ever grant them innosence for asking 10 euros for a rename, or 20 euros for a copy-paste of a characters files to another folder which may very well be, automated?

    Do blizzard employees leave threads that badmouth their games in strong language escalate to no end, or do they lock them down even delete them some times?

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Desh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpif View Post
    Getting hyped too much? I may wear glasses but I am not blind and I definately don't see where the "nazi" act is, on stage. You (or someone else) started a "discussion" on how Blizzard puts ads of their other products on WoW's launcher and it is obviously escalating in an inappropriate manner. The game hasn't even released and you are naive enough to believe they would allow flaming in the forums? That's where this is going to and don't you dare play dumb on me!

    On the other hand, monitoring and fixing the forums is what they should do! It's the proper course of action they must take to protect their product. I can not believe you may reject even the slightest possibility that at least one, Blizzard - lover will take the chance to bad mouth Guild Wars 1/2 in their forums. Have you never went to school? There is always at least one kid in every schoolyard, willing and able to "disturb" things (translate into "opinions" here) around him/her in order to gain favourable odds towards his/her preferences! Even for the most idiotic of all things like a fight for "the best bubble gum" between to idiots, a friend of one of there idiots will scream and cheer and make others to do so too, in order for his side to win!

    Plus there is a reason Blizzard would like such things to happen and may even put their hands on, to help it! They are a profitable organization and would like not only to remain that way, but dominate the market as much as possible! Is it to wonder why they are shameless enough to take ideas of other games as their own? Or waiting half a year to release a small patch (aka 4.2) but when competitors enter the market, there is a huge patch introducing several innovations, in just the same amount of time? Could you ever grant them innosence for asking 10 euros for a rename, or 20 euros for a copy-paste of a characters files to another folder which may very well be, automated?

    Do blizzard employees leave threads that badmouth their games in strong language escalate to no end, or do they lock them down even delete them some times?
    GW2Guru is not the official forums for GW2 nor does arenanet mod it.

    Main Toon - Hunter (currently an LFR hero). Blue Label - 13/14H (SoO) 25 man.
    YouTube - I post all my gameplay (mainly KH, so far) videos here (mostly boss fights), I am currently running through Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix on Proud Mode. I am aiming to catalogue all boss fights in 1080p HD using PCSX2 to emulate and Fraps to record. Give my videos a watch and some constructive criticism. Thanks.

  14. #14
    Brewmaster Neglesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Done.

    /10char
    Thanks friend

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Done.

    /10char
    Mind sending me a PM to the topic (or even a link) too, please?

  16. #16
    The real question is which is worse the Forum community or the In-Game Community. If your posting on Guru like the quotes say trolling and flameing are not tolarated. The difference between Swtor/WoW forums and Guru/MMO-Champ is guru and mmo champ dont care who they piss off they are not making the money Blizz and bioware are making from each player. Which is why those 2 companies are less likely to moderate very harshly banning players because the players might get their ego hurt and unsub. Guru and MMO dont have this problem.

    Thats also why Anet is trying to make a game that doesnt cause strife when players see each other in the world, because thats just one more thing players can complain about in chat or on forums. All the node stealing, AH controlling, mob tagging, world pvp griefing, pve griefing, is all likely to be gone. Even if a player comes in trying to cause trouble the devs are putting in what they think are solutions to prevent that type of play.

  17. #17
    High Overlord Crabsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    113
    *nope.jpg*

    Basic = Sexy, hope it stays that way

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 11:39 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The real question is which is worse the Forum community or the In-Game Community. If your posting on Guru like the quotes say trolling and flameing are not tolarated. The difference between Swtor/WoW forums and Guru/MMO-Champ is guru and mmo champ dont care who they piss off they are not making the money Blizz and bioware are making from each player. Which is why those 2 companies are less likely to moderate very harshly banning players because the players might get their ego hurt and unsub. Guru and MMO dont have this problem.

    Thats also why Anet is trying to make a game that doesnt cause strife when players see each other in the world, because thats just one more thing players can complain about in chat or on forums. All the node stealing, AH controlling, mob tagging, world pvp griefing, pve griefing, is all likely to be gone. Even if a player comes in trying to cause trouble the devs are putting in what they think are solutions to prevent that type of play.
    I feel like a lot of the pissing and moaning in forums is either pvp related or endgame/raid related. And by making GW2 a game that doesn't change drastically when you get max level (no typical raids) then I feel like that might knock out a good chunk of complaining.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-02-04 at 06:04 PM.

  18. #18
    NDA still in effect, dont spread leaked stuff that isnt suppose to be out there for the public to see yet.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I played and still play GW1. They don't advertise anymore because they don't need to. You have no idea how many promotions and ads they flung around for shit like the bonus mission pack do you? Considering the fact that MMOs back in 2003-2005 operated on different genre standards than they do now, GW2 is going to have no choice but to advertise out the ass to get a decent profit nowadays.
    I don't remember any advertising ingame, perhaps some on the loadingscreens but in general none that stands out. Obviously this may be more a lapse of poor memory than anything else but in the last year or so there has been no advertising whatsoever for the ingame shop.

    However I don't mind them advertising it, this is the only proper MMO out that is using the 'f2p' model so I'm perfectly fine with it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Err, no. Reading comprehension helps. I guess you only just jumped on the GW2 bandwagon. Man, sure is fun to make assumptions.
    I've been aware of, and waiting for guild wars 2 ever since it was first announced, I see however no reason in speculating over the overall quality of the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Ehehehehe, you probably haven't played any custom games. Just as bad as LoL and HoN.
    I've racked up quite afew infact and after over well 1000 games in all of them I have to say that no, I disagree strongly with that claim. However I'm on the EU servers and can't speak for the other ones.

  20. #20
    While I can always hope for the community in this game to be of a higher quality, we will always see few idiots or /lol spammer types. I just hope those people dont enjoy the game and go back to the old more "established" MMO's out there. The main reason I stopped enjoying WoW long before I ended my sub was the community sadly.
    The only thing that is bothering me so far is the word "veteran" is being thrown around alot now. That just pisses me off more than anything, you know the type, people who actually think they have some special right to be placed above others in a game or all things. They played a damn game, didnt help to actually create it.

    Anyway semi rant over, I just hope this game is worth the 3-4 year wait, been keeping an eye on this one ever since I saw a Preview in PC gamer (uk) many many moons ago.
    As far as the ads on browser part of the topic goes. Even after all these years GW still has no advertising other than the option to the enter the games store, which is actually built into the game itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •