Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Advertisements > Monthly Fees, lol. I probably would not try it if there was a monthly fee. I might not anyways since I'm still having fun with WoW and SWTOR. Sleep, why do you always interrupt my gaming?!

its far too hopeful to think your community is going to be idiot free. Its just not going to happen. the Community will be no better or worse than any other. same shit different game

Anarchy Online had in game advertising. The game was set in the future, ala Blade Runner film, where the billboards and video screens in game played adverts. One of the superhero MMOs had this as well, but I confuse them all the time.

In-game adverts can be done okay-ish.

EQ2 had like Domino's Pizza advertisements in the chat box. LOL, you could "hail pizza" and order one from the chat too. Hahaha.

EQ > every game ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    it'll be just as and as bad as any other video game community.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've never posted GW2Guru, or spent much time there... but after reading that post, I'm surprised that it's still up with what I've heard about its mods.

But, if this is what mosts posts are like, I can see why they're so strict. You call them Natzi's, I say those mods are just doing their job keeping the trash cleaned up. Because as OP has proven, people will argue about ANYTHING. They will make personal attacks and deconstruct fully ANY argument about ANY topic. Is it really worth arguing over a launcher? Does it really mean that much? Doubtful. In the grand scheme of things, it means little to nothing. People just enjoy arguing, and quite frankly, I hope the mods clean it up.

About the community however, OP's comments are spot on. In every community lays assholes, and trolls looking to just insult and ruin people's day. Every community. However, the "in game" community is the only one Anet really wants to have an "official GW2 community" stamp. I can't find the quote, or remember where I heard it, but I want to say that Anet stated they don't want official forums because they only want the 1 community in game. I don't know if its because they want to avoid forum trolls, but I know its so that one community can develop; and since the way Anet built GW2 is conducive to community building, it makes sense to only have 1 community.

I just hope that after a while the trolls and assholes will get bored when they realize that they have a very VERY hard time trolling in game. I also hope that the mods on GW2Guru continue to do their jobs of "internet garbage men."
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Anarchy Online had in game advertising. The game was set in the future, ala Blade Runner film, where the billboards and video screens in game played adverts. One of the superhero MMOs had this as well, but I confuse them all the time.

In-game adverts can be done okay-ish.

EQ2 had like Domino's Pizza advertisements in the chat box. LOL, you could "hail pizza" and order one from the chat too. Hahaha.

EQ > every game ever made.
    Reminds me very much of the old Syndicate Wars billboard advertising of Ghost in the Shell. That worked beautifully.

And I'm not even gonna bother getting into the OPs comments. Lol...

There is no exclusivity for the games community. If anything F2P mmo's are a lot worse than p2p, it being the "next big thing" will make it worse again. Im going to sit on the bench for the launch of this one, see how its going after a few months then have a proper look at it.

Not sure why OP had to re-posted this here tho?

Quote Originally Posted by tweaq View Post
    There is no exclusivity for the games community. If anything F2P mmo's are a lot worse than p2p, it being the "next big thing" will make it worse again. Im going to sit on the bench for the launch of this one, see how its going after a few months then have a proper look at it.

Not sure why OP had to re-posted this here tho?
    Just to clarify, GW2 isn't F2P, it's B2P (buy-to-play).

edit: And that photo of your wall lamp is epic win!

I wouldn't take much of what you see on guru seriously anyways..considering its the home of threads like 'how to reduce the smuttiness of armor'. :P I visit for the news section since they sometimes have articles up that I may have missed. ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your alone.

The guildwars 2 in game community will be better then most other games currently are for the same reason said games had a good community in the past.

First it will be new, everyone will be leveling making friendlists this has been seen in all mmo's since wow, Eve Aion rift swtor.
    People who join the mass invite big giant guilds will have lots of people from which to get help doing hard quests and 5 mans.

Second Guildwars2 is built in a way to encourage people to get along, there is no kill stealing, there is no quest mob stealing, no tagging, no chest and herb and mining stealing, you will not go fuck another player, you will go hurray another player, mobs drop more loot when more players are part of the fight.

And finally PvP the tripple server battles will develp server bonds between players on the same server, they will come to know each other who can be relied on etc.

In time this simple fact of the gameplay will produce a good strong bonded community.
    And you will be proven wrong for doubting it.

i dont understand.... who cares?

i would click through 50 ads per login if it got me into a great game that i loved playing..

10+ Year Old Account
    Advertisments about stuff for the game your playing is perfectly ok on the launcher, as long as the login screen is not involved.
    And the advertisments are not in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Your alone.

The guildwars 2 in game community will be better then most other games currently are for the same reason said games had a good community in the past.

First it will be new, everyone will be leveling making friendlists this has been seen in all mmo's since wow, Eve Aion rift swtor.
    People who join the mass invite big giant guilds will have lots of people from which to get help doing hard quests and 5 mans.

Second Guildwars2 is built in a way to encourage people to get along, there is no kill stealing, there is no quest mob stealing, no tagging, no chest and herb and mining stealing, you will not go fuck another player, you will go hurray another player, mobs drop more loot when more players are part of the fight.

And finally PvP the tripple server battles will develp server bonds between players on the same server, they will come to know each other who can be relied on etc.

In time this simple fact of the gameplay will produce a good strong bonded community.
    And you will be proven wrong for doubting it.
    I can't tell if you're joking or just extremely naive.
    Last edited by Desh; 2014-11-26 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    I've never heard anything about it going to be happiest game and community ever. Isn't it mainly a PVP game anyway? Therefore there will probably be even more dick heads.

Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post
    Isn't it mainly a PVP game anyway?
    Nah. They just have a strong PVP element. The bulk of the game's newfangled creativity is actually PVE based. Dynamic Events, are GW's major gimmick- this is a PVE component. Not to mention the resource investment in world creation & personal story lines vis-a-vis PVP battlegrounds.

At best, it's no more a PVP game than World of Warcraft is a PVP game.

Deleted
    There are two factors that contribute to GW2 community best evar:

1) in GW1, you only met players for a short time in cities then went off solo or with a friend to do a mission. There was no global chat, no barrens chat or anything like that, so you never really had a chance to talk. If you went to PvP outposts the fun began: people couldn't join the groups without PvP rank, but couldn't get PvP ranks without groups, so the community was split into grouped people who played PvP and reaped the rewards and poor beggars trying to get in but it was hardly possible to PUG with 8 people.

2) game hadn't launched yet. What most people see as community is GW2Guru, since it's the biggest GW2 fansite at the moment. Most of it's members are crazy lore fanboys, who don't really care about the gameplay as long as lore fits. Other people who were slightly negative or cautious of GW2 were banned or are having their posts regularly deleted for "derailing the thread". You could compare it to GW2 section on MMORPG.com - there's no heavy moderation, and there are far more people complaining about game features. While I don't mind heavy moderation, because it's up to fansite to decide, you can just switch, I hope ANet doesn't take GW2Guru as the only gauge of community opinions, because like I said, theirs are heavily lore skewed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YouMadBrosky View Post
    LOL, I know right... Gaurentee he/she/it is one of those people on GW2Guru forums. They think its gonna be a happy go lucky circle jerk fest all day.

I prefer guys who are dicks and can take trash talking without crying to momma then these other... "people".
    So its ok to have an opinion, just as long as it is the same as yours?

Maybe GW2 will have a nice community, who knows until the game is released? We don't , exactly.

So what is so wrong with someone being optimistic? We need more optimism in this world, do we not?

As for my own Opinion, i expect the Community to be about the same as any other MMO, but with slightly less asshats, for the sole reason that there is no benefit in GW2 from being one. Gear is not important, you cant steal anything from someone else and the more people who do stuff together, the better the rewards for ALL. Soi can see where Kokui is coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any online community not heavily policed with severe repercussions for rude/unsavory behavior (and no way to transfer/reset your reputation) is going to be just like every other. This type of thing really needs to stop. There is always going to be that majority group of below average players, each one thinking they're better than the next, and entitled to everything they desire without having to put forth much effort, passing inaccurate information and tired jokes between them, berating anyone who dare ask a question or be unsure of something. The typical "im the internet cool guy badass" attitude. The general public (especially online) is downright disgusting. Until the companies start attempting to keep people in line (this won't be easy by any means), it's not going to change.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-02-05 at 09:52 AM.

No, it won't. Unless you ignore, for example, the majority of self-righteous assholes on gw2guru bashing on wow and swtor. It's patethic. I mean, they know that they're fanboys and create threads about the aforementioned games and bash them among themselves. It's super lame, imo.

I know they're not all like that, but I'm going to bet that the community will be consisted of a significant number of people that will start discussions in the chat saying how awesome this game is, and how retarded are the rest of us for playing kiddie games like wow or swtor.

Deleted
    As for community in general... GW2guru is one for the weirdest places on the internet ;P. People there have no idea about PVP - null nada. Anyone even mentioning it, is obliterated by "PVE is more important" people >_>. As for PVE, the discussion is tragic: everyone is entitled to everything, people are concerned that explorer mode will be too difficult and their 5year old son will miss out part of the content, dungeon tokens should be available through ingame shop or how potentially "unplayable" the game will be if mobs are "too smart". It's a cesspool.

This forum is not ThAt much better :/. You can't criticize any part of the game without being putted to ground and questioned "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR SCUM???!". Anet's ideology is almost a religion here. It has its good side, WoW trolls are being dealt with swiftly, but sometimes it hurts constructive discussion. Also my personal pain: no PVP discussion :/.