10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.

Power Supply and Surge Protector.

Okay so with the current bad weather it's no surprise that occasionally the power flickers on and off. So the power went off and I found out that the outlet I was using wasn't actually grounded (due to the fact that the people lived here before me built this particular room and didn't bother to do it right) so my power supply took the brunt of the blow. The second time I had it grounded with another outlet yet my computer didn't want to turn on correctly after the power came back. This time the power supply didn't switch itself off but I had to unplug it, turn it off and on, turn surge protector off and on, plug it back in and it worked.

I've never had to do this with other computers I've owned (I've also never had my computers plugged into a decent surge protector) and I'm curious if this is an issue or to be expected.
    Last edited by Xuany; 2012-02-04 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuany View Post
    Okay so with the current bad weather it's no surprise that occasionally the power flickers on and off. So the power went off and I found out that the outlet I was using wasn't actually grounded (due to the fact that the people lived here before me built this particular room and didn't bother to do it right) so my power supply took the brunt of the blow. The second time I had it grounded with another outlet yet my computer didn't want to turn on correctly after the power came back. This time the power supply didn't switch itself off but I had to unplug it, turn it on and off, turn surge protector on and off, plug it back in and it worked.

I've never had to do this with other computers I've owned (I've also never had my computers plugged into a decent surge protector) and I'm curious if this is an issue or to be expected.

It might set you back some money but if your really worried about your equipment I'd suggest something along the lines of UPS. Depending on your needs they have different models available.

I use this one:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...se_sku=BR1500G

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I live I am fortunate that the local power supply is very stable however the multi socket my PC is plugged into does have its own surge protector. My brother went and bought one of those backup devices so that when we have a power-cut he's still got power for ages, giving him time to save stuff and shut down. Given that the thing has enough sockets for around 12 different devices and he's running a ton of stuff at his desk, I'd say it's an excellent investment.

Is it right for you? I can't tell you. Just telling you that it might be worth it given what you described.

PS: sounds like you are in the UK :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    It might set you back some money but if your really worried about your equipment I'd suggest something along the lines of UPS. Depending on your needs they have different models available.

I use this one:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...se_sku=BR1500G
    Interesting I never thought of getting one of these. I tend to worry to much I've been told but having computer issues is something I hate the most. I'd love to have one of these thanks for linking it to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuany View Post
    Interesting I never thought of getting one of these. I tend to worry to much I've been told but having computer issues is something I hate the most. I'd love to have one of these thanks for linking it to me
    Yeah I love it. Where I live during the summer months we have many thunderstorms and when I'm raiding there is nothing worse then a simple brown out. The power goes out for like 2 seconds or something and you're PC now shuts down and your modem/router reboots etc. The nice thing about a UPS it provides a battery back up plus surge protection. I can't say for certain if the UPS has saved me from a "surge" but I've heard it kick in when my power dropped for a brief moment it detects power fluctuations to keep your system in a safe window of voltage/amperage.

I recommend it to anyone who is an enthusiast and or can afford one especially where you have multiple power fluctuations. Mine will keep my system going for 20 minutes with no power but beyond that you need a generator
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-02-04 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Yeah I love it. Where I live during the summer months we have many thunderstorms and when I'm raiding there is nothing worse then a simple brown out. The power goes out for like 2 seconds or something and you're PC now shuts down and your modem/router reboots etc. The nice thing about a UPS it provides a battery back up plus surge protection. I can't say for certain if the UPS has saved me from a "surge" but I've heard it kick in when my actually power dropped for a brief moment it detects power fluctuations to keep your system in a safe window of voltage/amperage.

I recommend it to anyone who is an enthusiast and or can afford one especially where you have multiple power fluctions. Mine will keep my system going for 20 minutes with no power but beyond that you need a generator
    Yea live in Tornado Valley in the US and once summer comes around heavy winds and rain are a pain in the ass I will definitely get one of these.

I purchased a UPS awhile back for the same reason as someone mentioned above...I live in an area prone to thunderstorms during the summer months, and nothing worse than being in the middle of something and have the power go out for a couple of seconds. It's been an excellent investement - and I was fortunate that at the time I purchased mine, they were on sale, so I saved a bit of money. When my husband switched from playing on a laptop to a desktop, we spent the money on a second UPS for his computer for the same reason. Not to mention being able to have my Modem and Router plugged into one is a great thing.

Created by Sokogeka