Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What excites you the most out of GW2?

GW2 is bringing a bunch of new stuff to the genre, which feature are you looking forward to the most?

I myself am looking forward to exploring the world and experience as much of the Dynamic events as I possibly can, I'm also excited about WvW. Me being a DAoC vet, I've had alot of fond memories from the RvR system on that game by taking/defending keeps and relic raids. I'm hoping GW2 will do the same for me, and by just reading the description on how WvW works its pretty safe to say that it will.
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-02-04 at 10:01 PM.

There are only a few "new" features to the genre in GW2. It's a very old school MMO in more ways than TOR, for example. DEs as quest scheme is their gimmick.

Anyway, I am mostly interested in combat. Been a big fan of more action-y combat as seen in Vindictus, Rusty Hearts & Tera. GW2 combat seems to be a little tighter than Eastern MMO action combat but not quite as stiff as DDO or AOC, by contrast. So that's kinda exciting. Eager to play/try out.

When i first wrote out the 1 thing i was most looking forward to , i had about 10 different things and a very large amount of text:P Seeing that , that was very off topic,
    the one thing i am most looking forward to, will be how dungeons and PvE works without the trinity, when i first heard of no trinity, i laughed , saying to myself that it would never work, after 5 min of thinking about it, i became really excited about how it will work. So much so that i will not watch any dungeon content at all, until i first get into it, be that in beta or in the game its self. I want it to be fresh, and i cant wait.

Deleted
    Pretty much everything.

Love it that griefing is almost impossible. Love the idea that everyone has their own loot including mines etc. Love the idea that it can NEVER be bad when other players are around it will ALWAYS be good. Love the RvR (WvW), love how they did all the professions and rasses. Really looking forward to crafting system and the dungeons as I have not seen a lot of it and of course also looking forward to the DEs. The exploring of a new world, the underwater combat, pvp matches.....you name it!

What excites me most is the 3 way battles of WvWvW, im used to just 2 faction pvp having 3 teams is something unique and i wonder how it will play out in a 4 map setting with hundreds of players. Im also really excited about the Dynamic Events and their chains. I want to from a group with 3 or 4 of my friends and just go out and do events, Kinda like what i did in Rift but those were very bland and repetitive from what i remember at launch and im hopeing GW2 wont be.

Deleted
    No subscription fee. Makes everything better knowing your not spending a stupid load of money for a mmo

Ummm... everything? The scale of the world, PvP, classes, dynamic events, combat... But most of all, that feeling of a new and grand world to explore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are only a few "new" features to the genre in GW2. It's a very old school MMO in more ways than TOR, for example. DEs as quest scheme is their gimmick.
    I agree with you, the amount of times I've seen people say 'IT BRINGS SO MANY NEW THINGS' is kinda silly. Hell even the DE system isn't 100% original (WaR ans Rift) but what have done is taken many great things from games and refined them, upgraded them or just played around and see what could be made. To me GW2 is like chocolate milk, two things that are good on their own but combined with few added things makes a great thing.

OT: The world, the fact my actions actually affect the world now forever and will never be the same way even if I do it on a new character without it being for a few minutes or phased.

WvWvW, just wish there was some more info or a video of it in action

Everything! If I had to choose it would be gear not being the deciding factor in pvp, or the art and feel of the world. I can't decide this game seems so well done! I hope it is as great as it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    What excites me most is the 3 way battles of WvWvW, im used to just 2 faction pvp having 3 teams is something unique and i wonder how it will play out in a 4 map setting with hundreds of players. Im also really excited about the Dynamic Events and their chains. I want to from a group with 3 or 4 of my friends and just go out and do events, Kinda like what i did in Rift but those were very bland and repetitive from what i remember at launch and im hopeing GW2 wont be.
    Oh trust me, a 3 way pvp system is worlds ahead of a 2 way one in terms of the fun factor

Which is why I kinda feel bad for the people in today's MMo playerbase who missed out on the glory days of DAoC (Dark age of Camelot), most fun pvp i've had yet in an MMo. (And i've played alot of MMos too.)

the one thing i am most looking forward to, will be how dungeons and PvE works without the trinity, when i first heard of no trinity, i laughed , saying to myself that it would never work, after 5 min of thinking about it, i became really excited about how it will work. So much so that i will not watch any dungeon content at all, until i first get into it, be that in beta or in the game its self. I want it to be fresh, and i cant wait.
    Yes of course that too, with the elimination of the Trinity, I think it will require more teamwork and strategy for groups to get things done and overcome obstacles.

Anyway, I am mostly interested in combat. Been a big fan of more action-y combat as seen in Vindictus, Rusty Hearts & Tera. GW2 combat seems to be a little tighter than Eastern MMO action combat but not quite as stiff as DDO or AOC, by contrast. So that's kinda exciting. Eager to play/try out.
    Well ok, maybe a bunch was a little exaggerated. But those few new things in my own honest opinion are what's gonna revolutionize the genre (I.e. no trinity, underwater combat system, DEs) The elimination of the trinity is a feat in of itself, what MMo out there has done this in the history of the genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    I agree with you, the amount of times I've seen people say 'IT BRINGS SO MANY NEW THINGS' is kinda silly. Hell even the DE system isn't 100% original (WaR ans Rift) but what have done is taken many great things from games and refined them, upgraded them or just played around and see what could be made. To me GW2 is like chocolate milk, two things that are good on their own but combined with few added things makes a great thing.
    Oh yea, definitely.

GW2 looks to be- I only say this cautiously due to no hands-on personally, a huge evolutionary push forward for the genre.

Aside from the obvious benefit of having more competition in the market, if GW2 is successful I think we will see a sea change in how MMOs are developed. Particularly, in just having different types of MMOs aside from Theme Park/WoW-style MMOs. Which while fun for many players, is probably feeling a bit old by now almost 10 years later.

It would not be inaccurate that to say I am most looking forward to Anet just shaking up the market. Which we need [IMO] desperately.

Kinda tired of playing the same types of games!

10+ Year Old Account
    the fact that my first MMO is coming out with another GW game is pretty exciting to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    Well ok, maybe a bunch was a little exaggerated. But those few new things in my own honest opinion are what's gonna revolutionize the genre (I.e. no trinity, underwater combat system, DEs) The elimination of the trinity is a feat in of itself, what MMo out there has done this in the history of the genre?
    Those are actually the old things...

MMOs existed before the class trinity. Like popular ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll agree that a lot of things aren't necessarily 'new', it's more or less the way they are doing those said things that make them 'fresh'.

I definately wouldn't call DEs a gimmick however. It was a gimmick with Warhammer and Rift, but in GW2 it turns into a main mechanic, it replaces the tried and true mechanic of quests as the main method of PvE leveling content.

I think I'm most excited about the personal story and combat. I was raised up playing console games, and a focused story is something I enjoy and wish there were more things like it in MMOs (It's the main reason I wanted to buy SW:TOR.)

And the combat is something I missed from console games as well. I like face paced combat based on skill and not RNG and gear. It's the reason I looked forward to Tera Online (But found what appeared to be a more reliable product in GW2).

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 10:35 PM ----------

Those are actually the old things...

MMOs existed before the class trinity. Like popular ones.
    I personally can't think of an MMORPG (MMOs in general, I can) that didn't use the trinity in some form (Or the trinity + Support)
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I definately wouldn't call DEs a gimmick however. It was a gimmick with Warhammer and Rift, but in GW2 it turns into a main mechanic, it replaces the tried and true mechanic of quests as the main method of PvE leveling content.
    Sorta is.

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries."

I would certainly say we don't see dynamic chain events as a questing scheme in ANY current MMO. And the MMOs of the past that had player influenced game worlds and chain events never used them as motivator of questing or extended play. The term gimmick is not inherently negative. That would be "cheap gimmick", which I am most definitely not suggesting.

"Oh, I closed that Rift. Neat."
    "Oh, this server hasn't progressed the Sleeper event. Okay dokey"

^^ By contrast, GW2's DE are totally a gimmick that set it apart from every MMO I know of previous and currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the term "revolutionize" is something that's almost impossible for game developers to come by nowadays regardless of how new or innovative a feature is. With the way the gaming community is nowadays, a game won't be revolutionary to a certain genre unless its gone virtual.....

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I guess the term "revolutionize" is something that's almost impossible for game developers to come by nowadays regardless of how new or innovative a feature is. With the way the gaming community is nowadays, a game won't be revolutionary to a certain genre unless its gone virtual.....
    Well, don't get so hung up on "revolution" as much as evolution. It's a common misplaced thought in gaming to think of innovation as superior to creative refinement. However, the nature of game design is iterative not only within individual titles but across given genres. Putting aside notions of personal nostalgia, we typically see better games over time.

As myself and a few others have said, GW2's totality of refined ideas are super exciting. Perhaps more so than any one individual thing.

"Everything.", for many would not be an inappropriate answer to what makes GW2 exciting as an upcoming game.

Deleted
    Mostly the combat is what excites me the most and which is also the most important thing in a game to me. It's a little bit like the combat in a action role-playing games which I really love. I can watch 1-spamming gameplay videos for hours which is a very good sign. There's also no trinity which makes me happy, especially from a PvP point of view. I'm also really looking forward to this enormous, new and persistent world to explore with DE's and stuff happening everywhere. But there is so much to be excited about, the structured PvP, WvWvW, no endless gear grinds, the new races and professions, B2P model ....

What excites me most about GW2?

A few things actually.

1. Something fresh and new, which we haven't seen since Age of Conan.

2. The combat system: This is the major reason I want to play this game badly, If the combat is fast and fluid like WoW, but without the traditional MMO style combat, then I'm sold.

3. An open world that isn't on extreme rails like SWTOR is.

4. Balanced group pvp.