Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Some people cant have fun without the carrot. Quite sad really.
    I really hope the Skill > Gear crowd finally get a popular MMO. I love PvP when it's based on skill. I want to know I beat the other guy on merit. WoW and SWTOR are based on gear grind. Once the grind is over then skill is the determining factor. I'm done playing a game like a job just so I can end up playing the game like I want. GW2 fixes all those issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tury123 View Post
    I'm still really worried about the lack of.. an "End game" sure you can play battlegrounds whenevery ou want and do dungeons that scale to your level but in PvP everyone will have the same gear.. then what will be the awards in pvp if you're not pushing to get gear or to get anything its kinda..pointless?
    You seem to confuse gear progression with having end game. But there is still gear, just not an endless ilvl increase with each new content. Gear progression is horizontal (I think), i.e. different distribution of stats, fun stats and procs (example). Of course, equipping the right gear is still important, it is just not possible to completely outgear someone. Look of gear is also very important, and a way to show off your immense skill so to say. PvP awards you glory, which can be used for new armor skins, again to show off your skill/or dedication to PvP. There is no stat increase because that causes gear > skill (BG gear, Arena gear, newest seasons gear). Other important things I can think of atm are: having fun, improving yourself, experimenting with skills/gear ...

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Some people cant have fun without the carrot. Quite sad really.
    Somehow I don't believe that their having fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Let me refrase that for ya some people dont see meaning in a online game that doesnt have a carrot

Deleted
    I'm with you. They're being manipulated into having fun, really. To bad they can't understand that they're put into a so called "Skinners Box"... :/

Deleted
    Of course they are having fun. I prefer the GW-way as well, but I had a lot of fun in WoW with that gear system nonetheless. It was annoying to grind and/or replace your PvP-gear all the time every season, but I still had fun.

GW2 had me hello. The DEs hit me as the raiding content wow/alot of players are looking for but without the pain of looking for specific roles and even grouping. GW2 has so many dynamics that will bring the communtiy together imo.something ive noticed other mmos are failing to do or care for.

Deleted
    I'm still really worried about the lack of.. an "End game" sure you can play battlegrounds whenevery ou want and do dungeons that scale to your level but in PvP everyone will have the same gear.. then what will be the awards in pvp if you're not pushing to get gear or to get anything its kinda..pointless?
    rewards are tournaments where you can win $$$ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ur142qRR0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    rewards are tournaments where you can win $$$ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ur142qRR0
    Thank you very much for linking that. I knew GW1 had tournaments like that, but I never realized how great they were. Felt like watching dota, felt like a sporting event, that's a good sign for GW2.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

You have been poisoned and brain washed with the gear treadmill.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    Holy crap I remember that. It was good times back then.
    Thanks for posting that.
    Last edited by aej; 2012-02-06 at 12:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    You seem to confuse gear progression with having end game. But there is still gear, just not an endless ilvl increase with each new content. Gear progression is horizontal (I think), i.e. different distribution of stats, fun stats and procs (example). Of course, equipping the right gear is still important, it is just not possible to completely outgear someone. Look of gear is also very important, and a way to show off your immense skill so to say. PvP awards you glory, which can be used for new armor skins, again to show off your skill/or dedication to PvP. There is no stat increase because that causes gear > skill (BG gear, Arena gear, newest seasons gear). Other important things I can think of atm are: having fun, improving yourself, experimenting with skills/gear ...
    Gear at the same level is actually just different looking, going into a dungeon to get its gear vs another dungeon or crafting or pvp is just for the look the stats are the same.

And you actually socket your stats with the trait system into your gear however thats beeing revamped again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    ... And you actually socket your stats with the trait system into your gear however thats beeing revamped again.
    oh, I hope they don't deviate too far from that. It was actually a pretty good idea.

And what's with GW2 not having official forums? SWTOR got hammered due to lack of forums.
    I'm still thinking about it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    oh, I hope they don't deviate too far from that. It was actually a pretty good idea.

And what's with GW2 not having official forums? SWTOR got hammered due to lack of forums.
    Swtor has forums ppl even formed guilds on them, that transfered into the game automatically, i think it would be nice if guildwars was doing this too.

For those who doubt about progressing in PvP without progressing in gears, just look at Starcraft 2.

In SC2, there is no progression in terms of game play at all in multiplayers (i.e. no new units to obtain after win). But it is still one of the most competitive game in eSports scene. Instead of obtaining new units or upgrade, players climb the ladder rank/leagues instead. And I would say that is also a progression as well. But points is not the only motivation, most people want to get better too. Believe me, many people in SC community (both BW and SC2) are so competitive that they always find themselves suck and find it's fun to improve their skills. To quote Day[9], many of them try to play to "become a better gamer". And with that, the scene is quite flourish.

Of course SC2 is an RTS but I believe that Arenanet is inspired by the ladder system of SC2 or LoL and want to make GW2 PvP with the same experience as those games. So if you win a lot, you climb the ladder ranks instead of farming point for a new gear. And in doing so, you also improve yourselves, doing something you thought you could never do before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veldril View Post
    For those who doubt about progressing in PvP without progressing in gears, just look at Starcraft 2.

In SC2, there is no progression in terms of game play at all in multiplayers (i.e. no new units to obtain after win). But it is still one of the most competitive game in eSports scene. Instead of obtaining new units or upgrade, players climb the ladder rank/leagues instead. And I would say that is also a progression as well. But points is not the only motivation, most people want to get better too. Believe me, many people in SC community (both BW and SC2) are so competitive that they always find themselves suck and find it's fun to improve their skills. To quote Day[9], many of them try to play to "become a better gamer". And with that, the scene is quite flourish.

Of course SC2 is an RTS but I believe that Arenanet is inspired by the ladder system of SC2 or LoL and want to make GW2 PvP with the same experience as those games. So if you win a lot, you climb the ladder ranks instead of farming point for a new gear. And in doing so, you also improve yourselves, doing something you thought you could never do before.
    There was a video linked here some time ago about pvp in guildwars 1 at a tournament, it was just as energetic as sc2, hopefully it will be more simple and streamlined when they do it in guildwars2.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I missing or not understanding something cause GW2guru is just another forum...not really anything more than a fan site with a hard to navigate forum.

I think Anet would only be doing themselves a disservice to believe that GW2guru represents anything more than a slight minority of the players who will be picking up this game. I worked in cycling industry for ages and belonged to a certain cycling forum who really did believe they represented...or were...the majority. They were just disconnected from other cyclists enough to believe this and never have anyone challenge this belief. Nevermind that 99% of the cyclists I knew or would meet IRL never heard of this site.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-02-08 at 06:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I think Anet would only be doing themselves a disservice to believe that GW2guru represents anything more than a slight minority of the players who will be picking up this game.
    Indeed. I really hope people like (head marketing guy) Chris Lye take the time to read forums like this one, because you'll learn more about your prospective audience here in 5 minutes than you would in a year on Guru.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-02-08 at 08:55 AM.

One podcast speculated there might be more people new to the GW franchise than fans of the first game in GW2. I am not sure if that is true, honestly. However, I do think GW2 word-of-mouth/anticipation is going to bring in a broader cross section of players than GW1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One podcast speculated there might be more people new to the GW franchise than fans of the first game in GW2.
    Case in point: When Trilogy and EOTN were 50% off during the Steam sale, they were both on the top seller list for several days.