Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Guesswork] System Requirements

As far as I know, nothing has been released regarding system requirements bar AN's statment of "The system requirements haven't been finalized, but just as with the original Guild Wars series, we're committed to creating a beautiful game that will play great on mid-range gaming PCs."

Does anyone feel like taking a guess at what they class 'mid-range' gaming PCs to be, or what the min/recommended specs could look like?

I'm currently running (Not 100% sure of names etc, not on my usual computer right now) Athlon dual core 2.6Gz, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 5750 graphics. My setup is by no means fantastic but I imagine I should be able to play comfortably without the pressing need to upgrade. I hope. :P

You'll be fine. The engine is a heavily modified version of GW1. Anet knows one of the best ways to move product is to aim for average computers. The video cards they use as a benchmarks are not available for retail purchase anymore. They have to use Ebay to get more.

Deleted
    Quoted from The One Thread:

Time to link this again.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/941/gw2chart.jpg

GW2Guru techies taking a stab at how GPU's will handle the game. Take with a grain of salt as nobody truly knows how any computer will handle it yet.
    Note: I know next to nothing about this, but I think you're looking at high.
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2012-02-05 at 07:49 PM.

Deleted
    And to what Ghostrider said, i can add that they have said that it will most likely support dx10 but wount be a requirment to run it so to everyone thats going to come in here asking about if their computers will be able to handle it. If you have a system that runs on dx11 gear, well then your fine

Deleted
    'High' ish for graphical settings sounds just about fine in my eyes, thanks for the link! Though there's no solid information, any kind of guesswork is always good to compare and examine really!

Anet has said if you can run GW1 you can run GW2, they said they were testing the game on dated systems and are using a engine based off of the GW1 engine. Now that doesnt mean that big events wont lag you but playing in small groups should be ok.

Deleted
    Also remember, how you run the game isnt only about your rig, its about your internet too, upgrade if needed and possible

Or you can be like the rest of us and build a system to max out GW2. The graphics look great. WTB release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    Or you can be like the rest of us and build a system to max out GW2. The graphics look great. WTB release.
    Not everyone has the money to build a new system, just to max out a game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    Not everyone has the money to do that, but still might want to play GW2. It is important for a game to be able to run on both low-end and high-end machines.

Edit: beaten to it (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2012-02-05 at 08:45 PM.

Deleted
    Cheers for the heads up.

With regards to the upgrade idea, as the other two posters have suggested, money isn't really an option right now in terms of upgrading. I'll have to see towards the end of next year but it really depends upon the currently unknown release date. I'd like to build a whole new computer from scratch, but being a University student means I'm generally tight on money, and living off money that I don't actually own anyway!

Though I may spend a month or two living off rice to buy some parts, as it stands I'll be playing on this machine, perhaps with some minor tweaks and upgrades if it doesn't seem to be holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Anet has said if you can run GW1 you can run GW2, they said they were testing the game on dated systems and are using a engine based off of the GW1 engine. Now that doesnt mean that big events wont lag you but playing in small groups should be ok.
    I can play at full quality settings with my Intel 3000 series integrated graphics chip, so I just dont see this being accurate somehow. Even at lower graphical qualities, I cant imagine this game being particularly playable.

Luckily my main PC is an absolute monster that shouldnt have any difficulties playing anything, ever :P

Quote Originally Posted by Davesmason View Post
    As far as I know, nothing has been released regarding system requirements bar AN's statment of "The system requirements haven't been finalized, but just as with the original Guild Wars series, we're committed to creating a beautiful game that will play great on mid-range gaming PCs."

Does anyone feel like taking a guess at what they class 'mid-range' gaming PCs to be, or what the min/recommended specs could look like?

I'm currently running (Not 100% sure of names etc, not on my usual computer right now) Athlon dual core 2.6Gz, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 5750 graphics. My setup is by no means fantastic but I imagine I should be able to play comfortably without the pressing need to upgrade. I hope. :P
    Remember you can adjust the settings a lot in most mmos, so you will probably be able to play.

I'm running an oced i5 2500k with a msi 570 gfx, 8gigs of dominators 1600mhz and a 120 hz screen, I image it will look good on my comp.

I've been hearing that they've been buying old video cards off of Ebay and the likes, to try and get the game to work on them. It was in some blog a while back, not sure exactly where, but it was an official source.

There is probably little reason to worry.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

They've said in interviews that they buy GPUs off of ebay because they're unable to buy them in stores since they're so old. This means they're buying 2004/2003 era cards (Geforce 4). They've also said that they don't even test on high end hardware themselves because they want to make sure a ton of people can play the game, not just throw tech at it and have a high barrier of entry for no reason. It will run in DirectX 9 so XP systems are fine, it will have DirectX 10 support as well and one could assume that they'll have optimization in for those cards.

Deleted
    For guess work system specs I'd look at other recent MMO's aswell. Like Rift, SWToR and Tera. All of them have "mid range" PC specs really like what Anet is aiming for, SWToR is more demanding than the rest for minimum specs but is still on lower side of todays standard.

Deleted
    I just bought a MSI 560ti OC a few months back, glad to see it will be able to run GW2 on ultra

That picture is only about GPUs though, how about CPU? Isn't GW2 a CPU intensive game such as WoW?

EDIT: Damn, just noticed even my old videocard, the HD 4890, can run GW2 on very high O.o
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-02-06 at 06:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    I just bought a MSI 560ti OC a few months back, glad to see it will be able to run GW2 on ultra

That picture is only about GPUs though, how about CPU? Isn't GW2 a CPU intensive game such as WoW?

EDIT: Damn, just noticed even my old videocard, the HD 4890, can run GW2 on very high O.o
    Allegedly!
    Remember, it's all educated guesses by the fan community.

As for CPU's, quad core support is expected.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Allegedly!
    Remember, it's all educated guesses by the fan community.

As for CPU's, quad core support is expected.
    Meh, if I can run skyrim on Ultra I should be fine with GW2... :P
    I have a 3.4 GHZ AMD CPU, a bit old, but not that bad :-)

Deleted
    I can run SWTOR on Ultra everything with an average of 40 FPS; I'm presuming I should be fine for GW2?