Resto Druid and PvP

Hi there,

I'm a Moonkin and I love PvP. I have a 2s team and I do a lot of BGs too. I love playing as a Moonkin for its utility, the various tricks that the spec can pull, and most importantly its fun factor. That being said It's been a couple years now and I've still never touched my secondary spec, always been a Boomy be it PvE or PvP. I feel it's the time to explore that secondary spec and hopefully love it as much as my primary.

A couple weeks ago, my Arena partner thought it would be nice if I could go kitty so we can maybe try to reach high-rated 2s. As of today I have a full PvP set for my Kitty (Full-Ruthless with Cataclysmic shoulders), I've also done some experimenting with it and got the general hang of it. Problem is I just don't like it much. Don't know why but it just feels kinda slow, and while I enjoy my Rogue a LOT (love the utility and the quick-paced combat) feral feels "meh".

That's the reason for this post's title. I'm considering going Resto. Now people will come and say that Resto is crappy at PvP and yada yada, but Moonkins are crappy too and that doesn't stop me from enjoying it really. So I'll try to get to the point :

1) Why are Resto Druids not shining in PvP ? Is it only an Arena thing ? BGs ? Both ? What are their shortcomings compared to other healing specs ?
    2) What is the general play style of Resto Druids in PvP ? Mainly in 2s and BGs.

Thanks

Resto Druid in PvP

Resto Druids have a hard problem in pvp because they rely on hots. There arn't enough direct heals to be able to heal up quickly. They are much better as raid healers. They simply lack in direct heals, which is required in pvp.

Resto druids are pretty weak in Arena right now because of low defensive utility and only hot healing. In BGs, resto druids are not weak. Get as much resiliance as possible (I'm at 4800 atm) and let your hots shine. Rj, Swiftmend and WG are your main tools there, also Regrowth. Use cyclone, roots and thorns.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post

1) Why are Resto Druids not shining in PvP ? Is it only an Arena thing ? BGs ? Both ? What are their shortcomings compared to other healing specs ?
    2) What is the general play style of Resto Druids in PvP ? Mainly in 2s and BGs.

Thanks
    1. Resto druids are struggling in arenas because they are easy kill targets. They dont have enough armor to withstand much physical damage. Tree form is an amazing defensive CD in that you shouldnt die while its popped, but you are usually toast afterwards. In BGs and RBGs those shortcomings arent as obvious, and some of their strengths really shine. Druids can still put out an insane amount of total healing pretty easily, and you can do most of it without having to hardcast. Compared to other specs they lack strong direct heals and armor. Instead they get strong hots and fantastic mobility.

2. RJ, WG, SW, and LB. RG when you arent focused, HT almost never. The bloom portion of LBx3 can be quite strong so make sure to remember that and allow it to bloom if warranted. Barkskin as often as possible if you are getting focused, and it can be cast while CC'd. With its glpyh it helps a lot in decreasing incoming burst. Nature's Swiftness can be used to instant cast cyclones also, and this can be huge in peeling enemies off of yourself, or cloning a specific target in arenas.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meejum View Post
    1. Resto druids are struggling in arenas because they are easy kill targets. They dont have enough armor to withstand much physical damage. Tree form is an amazing defensive CD in that you shouldnt die while its popped, but you are usually toast afterwards. In BGs and RBGs those shortcomings arent as obvious, and some of their strengths really shine. Druids can still put out an insane amount of total healing pretty easily, and you can do most of it without having to hardcast. Compared to other specs they lack strong direct heals and armor. Instead they get strong hots and fantastic mobility.

2. RJ, WG, SW, and LB. RG when you arent focused, HT almost never. The bloom portion of LBx3 can be quite strong so make sure to remember that and allow it to bloom if warranted. Barkskin as often as possible if you are getting focused, and it can be cast while CC'd. With its glpyh it helps a lot in decreasing incoming burst. Nature's Swiftness can be used to instant cast cyclones also, and this can be huge in peeling enemies off of yourself, or cloning a specific target in arenas.
    Yeah NS can be useful sometimes for instant cyclone, but most of times after its used for cyclone and u dont get kill, they target you

Basically what it comes down too is your HoTs are not enough to heal through the massive amount of damage being dealt in arenas currently. In addition to that we do not have the CDs to stop ourselves from getting owned. You can pop nature's grasp to get away once and ToL to save yourself from heavy burst once but after that you're dead. Barkskin will not come close to keeping you alive.

TLDR: HoTs can't heal enough damage compared to other healers. Not enough defensive CDs to live when focused.