Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Help.. how do i deal with ret paladins in 2v2?

I'm playing Hunter/Feral in 2s atm, and every time we meet a ret paladin we seem to lose (unless he's a really bad player)

These self heals "word of glory" every 10 seconds healing for 60% of either his or his friends health is just so fucking insane, along with sacred shield and bubble. for obvious reasons we can almost never kill a healer with all of the stuff like barkskin, bubble, desperate prayer which we simply don't have time for as double dps.

Usually though, its a ret paladin with another DPS, and no matter who we go on he can get like 2-3 of these words of glories out and we lose..

So yea, he heals as much as a normal healer usually does against us with our CC's, with his WoG, and he also does as much damage as any class normally, and with wings up its 30% more and thats just fucking immense and kills me with a warrior within a stun after i trinketed their first stun.

TL;DR: WoG is OP.

Deleted
    Remember when it didn't have a CD? It's not OP anymore mate.

Could the feral dispell his wings? Im sure the hunter couldn't, unsure on the feral ;P but ye, when he pops wings, slow him>hand of freedom>clone him> into a trap, jst some ideas. im not great at pvp jst thought I'd try and help rather than troll or be sarcastic

Tranq shot dispels.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoG healing 60% of HIS health? I'm sorry but I lol'd, hard. WoG heals him for far less than it's healing his teammate. I'd say maybe MAYBE 30%, if that.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    WoG healing 60% of HIS health? I'm sorry but I lol'd, hard. WoG heals him for far less than it's healing his teammate. I'd say maybe MAYBE 30%, if that.
    So we're supposed to go on the Ret?

Tranq Shot and just /lol. You shouldn't have a problem with a Ret, especially with a Feral in the group.

When SS is up WoG can easily heal the ret for 60% if not more(generally with wings up also).

Deleted
    I do remove wings, but i use all of my focus on it and then i have nothing left to DPS, and i usually die within the first 30 seconds, even with my CC and the peelings from my feral, because of the other DPS (a warrior, perhaps a mage) - if its a mage its fucking hell, since the mage can lock my feral for like 30 seconds and i die...

i'm not saying im a pro at this, we're playing at 1750 MMR, but we are losing against resto shamans/locks and ret paladins..

Quote Originally Posted by scadouche View Post
    When SS is up WoG can easily heal the ret for 60% if not more(generally with wings up also).
    Wings should not be up, your main focus should be to strip a ret of his buffs with tranq shot, then if he pops wings/hand of freedom, you can tranq to remove it. Keep concussive up on him and free win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Tranq Shot and just /lol. You shouldn't have a problem with a Ret, especially with a Feral in the group.
    Did you actually try it?

Quote Originally Posted by zykaz View Post
    Did you actually try it?
    Outlast the burst by doing a lot of peeling/dispel spamming and you've basically won. Dispel everything as soon as you can to make sure you don't have to get rid of any 'trash' buffs and they won't be doing much damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Outlast the burst by doing a lot of peeling/dispel spamming and you've basically won. Dispel everything as soon as you can to make sure you don't have to get rid of any 'trash' buffs and they won't be doing much damage.
    I'm saying did you actually try Hunter/feral when your saying i have won if i tranq shot him? -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i usually run with my friend who plays a frost dk, and selfless healer is definitely a game changer. I've seen a 120k crit on my partner before when he was below 30% health and it has often allowed us take a win, although i've also seen 60-80k crits on myself but that usually only happens if i'm below 30% myself with wings and SS up. If you're up against double dps with a ret paladin my advice is cc the pallis partner and force the paladin to bubble and play defensively. Usually if this happens it's pretty much a win, especially if you rotate traps and clones seeing as you're a hunter/feral team it shouldn't be much trouble.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stay on the Ret in 2s. Going for his partner is a massive waste of time with Selfless Healer unless the match is really weird and you can put enough damage on his partner to keep the Ret entirely focused on healing his partner. I don't really recommend that though. Bubble is once per 5 minutes, and Sacred Shield shouldn't be much of an issue since it will only proc MAX twice (once when you get him low enough to trigger bubble and once on the kill).

Also, if you do all of this, you'll still probably lose unless you're really good. I'm at like 1600 2s and I run Holy Paladin/Ret Paladin (which is pretty fucking bad as you can imagine) and I don't think I've ever lost to Feral/Hunter... maybe once? Hunters do just not have enough defense or healing versus Ret cooldowns, and the ones at my level don't remove my buffs before I use Wings so I still get a hammer off plus 2-3 globals of increased DPS. Normally I wouldn't even bring my personal experiences into this because I'm far from great at 2s, but your rating is similar enough to mine that I thought I'd try to help give a perspective from the other side of the fence. At your bracket you probably have a better chance to win since you will have better control over your CCs and dispels than at mine, but it still isn't a matchup where you're going to have over a 50% win rate.

So yes, Ret Paladins are actually pretty good vs some DPS/DPS teams (Frost Mages are hard though, as always) because their sustained DPS is meh but their burst DPS is great (especially against people that don't dispel properly), you can't attack their partner easily, and they have good defensive abilities (even if it is a long cooldown).

At the end of the day there are still some comps you're going to have a 30% chance to win against and that is just the way the game works, especially in 2v2. It sucks, but this is the reason they discontinued allowing higher rewards for it. So basically try working on your pre-wings dispels, don't attack his partner, and focus on your other matchups because those are the ones that you'll make up the points for the loss in.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-02-06 at 05:45 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Actually, to whoever said that word of glory heals for 30% of someones health max, WoG can easily heal for 100k+ because of the way it scales with your attack power through choosing the ret tree, so with wings/GoAK/Any on use trinkets you may be popping with your wings these are not entirely uncommon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soothe/tranq shot like everyone else has said. Really all you can do. Biggest mistake a lot of people make is not going for a ret first because in their mindset they are like oh he will just bubble and heal himself. Make him waste his cds and he will be pretty squishy as a feral you should be using maim on him a lot to prevent him from doing a lot of things. Then bleed/kite and hunter should be freeze trapping and concussive shot at the same time while you cycloning off targ until DR kicks in then switch ccs.

Deleted
    Tranq his wings and get a cyclone/trap on his buddy and go defensive while his bubble is up. With a feral + hunter you should be able to force that bubble within the first 10 seconds of the opener. If not, you're doing something completely wrong. Between the two of you there should be enough CC to only have to fight one person at a time. Dont forget you can also tranq hand of protection off his buddy.

Easy game. Ride ret into oblivion. Send all CCs to his partner.