Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help, I need more vegtables in my diet :/

As part of a nutrition class I'm taking, I have to keep an online log of what I eat. After looking at a graph for what I ate today I realized that left to my own devices I hardly eat any vegetables.

So, do you get enough veggies in your diet and if so how? I'm looking for suggestions

I buy them. And then eat them.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Pizza is a vegetable.

I buy one of the burger combos from mcdonalds, it has enough vegetables in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I buy them. And then eat them.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Why not google some healthy recipes, there are so many health food sites these days.

salad can actually be quite tasty, try some.

or drink a v8.

To start off, just cook a stir fry and force yourself to eat it if you have to. Takes like 10minutes to prepare and cook.
    Then when you get sick of it, find other ways of cooking veggies. There's a lot of free recipe websites online.

Try salads also.

Quote Originally Posted by ShitShyShoes View Post
    Pizza is a vegetable.
    QFT

10charsyo

Deleted
    I'd recommend a Pizza.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I go shopping I buy all sorts of vegetables such as:
    -Green Beans
    -Asparagus
    -Broccoli
    -Salad Leaves
    -Celery
    -Carrots

Now what I did was I ate a little bit of some vegetables everytime I had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not a whole lot because I wanted to incorporate it into my diet without directly forcing the change from no vegetables to OMGALLIEVEREATISVEGETABLES. So I would basically take baby steps adding a little more vegetables to a meal everytime I ate. Eventually I learned to enjoy at least 1/2 of my meal as vegetables every time I eat now.

TL;DR Take baby steps when eating vegetables. When you force it, you will hate it and stray away from vegetables. The more you take it little by little, the more you will actually enjoy vegetables.

Deleted
    You need help eating more vegetables?

1)buy vegetables
    2)prepare vegetables
    3)????
    4)EAT THEM.

Btw, anyone using the word "veggies" needs to get slapped with a brick.
    ANd just saying, because the guy above me mentioned them, BEANS ARE full of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lollze View Post
    You need help eating more vegetables?

1)buy vegetables
    2)prepare vegetables
    3)????
    4)EAT THEM.

Btw, anyone using the word "veggies" needs to get slapped with a brick.
    ANd just saying, because the guy above me mentioned them, BEANS ARE full of carbs.
    I'm addicted to kidney beans. I more or less add a can or two in every dish I do.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2324/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6zebXAEkA

This is how I do it, "today we are going to make broccoli stew, if you dont like it you can go to hell!"

Try to work in some steamed broccoli with cheese. Very good. Also, baby carrots are a decent snack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    As part of a nutrition class I'm taking, I have to keep an online log of what I eat. After looking at a graph for what I ate today I realized that left to my own devices I hardly eat any vegetables.

So, do you get enough veggies in your diet and if so how? I'm looking for suggestions
    Cook your own damn food. Stop buying fast food, stop buying frozen meals. Go to the produce aisle, buy fresh veggies, buy some fresh meat, and make a stew or a soup. It's delicious and healthy for you.

Buy two big russet potatoes, buy about a half pound of raw carrots, buy an ear of corn, about one head of celery, one head of garlic, and one big white or yellow onion. Buy a box of prepared chicken stock (Swanson, etc), and have some milk and butter on hand. Wash the potatoes and chop em up. Wash and chop the carrots. Wash and peel the corn. Wash and chop the celery. Wash and mince the garlic cloves, and peel and dice up the onion.

Melt about 2 tablespoons or so of butter in a large cooking pot, or use a substitute if you prefer. Throw in the garlic, potatoes, celery, and onions and lightly sautee them for a few minutes. Dump in all of the chicken stock, add the carrots and corn (obviously you need to separate the kernels from the cob), add some milk to it (probably about 1-2 cups depending on how thick you want your soup, use skim milk if you wanna limit the amount of fat), add salt and pepper to taste, stir it up, bring it to a slow boil, then cover it, reduce to mid-low heat, and let it simmer for a couple hours.

Bam, enough potato soup for about a week's worth of meals and it's chock full of veggies. Complex carbohydrates, a little protein, lots of vitamin A and vitamin C, and a whole bunch of other minerals as well. If you want more protein, throw in a can of navy beans (also called white beans or great northern beans), or add in about half a pound to a pound of chicken meat, either breast or thigh depending on if you need to keep an eye on fat. You can also probably use a meat substitute like tofu.

Takes like 20 minutes to prep, it doesn't really need to be watched while it cooks, and it's something anyone can make.

It's easy to put veggies in just about anything. Throw some fresh salsa or pico on top of your eggs in the morning. Add some hummus or fresh lettuce/tomato to sandwiches or even burgers. Add beans to just about anything. Add a baked potato or mashed potatoes as a side to a meal, or make a meal that incorporates them already, like shepherd's pie.

Seriously, all you have to do is stop buying pre-made foods and make your own fucking meals. Trust me, you'll start using veggies in almost everything you make, and will enjoy using them. I basically can't make a meal without involving onions, beans, and peppers at some point.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-02-06 at 03:48 AM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by ShitShyShoes View Post
    Pizza is a vegetable.
    I forced myself into it by buying ONLY vegetables one week (I only shop once a week to get a student discount). Its a hard habit to get into, but a great one... eventually you will run out of options and can only eat veggies :P

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    V8 doesn't taste too bad. Although I found some random carrot drink from Japan with a label I couldn't read that tasted better, no idea what it contained though.

OT: If you're watching what you eat I don't think you need to be concerned with forcing in more vegetables. Eating reasonable amounts and being active in general is more important than calculating portions and serving sizes of everything with a computer. Even those people who count how much water a person "should" drink per day got in trouble when they realized their measurements might not be for everybody. I push a policy of eat what you like, just don't eat so much that it makes you sick. I also support the "Pizza is a Vegetable Party" and hope the voting public backs them as well.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Take Bok Choy. Boil Water. Put Bok Choy in. Take Bok Choy out. Eat Bok Choy.

Deleted
    For me:

Rocket in sandwiches and loads of it. Lettuce works too but it's a bit bland :P
    Carrot sticks, sugar snap peas, celery to snack on.
    Stir frys. Easy and quick to make.
    I add sweetcorn to loads of stuff. Peas go well with a lot of stuff too.
    Peppers are pretty good too.

Omelettes with mushrooms, spring onions, peppers, potato, cheese and bacon. Serve with rocket salad or other type of salad. Quick to make, tastes good.

i second the broccoli & cheese, thats good stuff.