Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    MacBook Pro + 8GB RAM (don't buy from Apple) + SSD + large external monitor is a good setup. Another option I would suggest is looking into a Mac Mini, which you can just plug into your existing stuff.

Do not get an iMac whatever you do. They have a design/manufacturing flaw in the screen that lets dust/dirt/fumes between the panel and the backlight causing the screen to appear dirty or burned. This is a very common issue and there is no fix outside of tearing the whole screen apart and cleaning it (which is very hard to do and very likely to break it).

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The iMac glass panels are held in place by magnets. All you need are a pair of heavy duty suction cups to safely remove the panel. The problem is most houses are filthy/dusty and you'd end up with more dust behind the glass than when you started. Unless you live somewhere with powerful HVACs and dust filtering, or in a hermetically sealed clean room, I don't recommend trying to clean the backside of the glass panel.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Another option I would suggest is looking into a Mac Mini, which you can just plug into your existing stuff.
    I believe OP said they needed it for college, so they more than likely want a laptop.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    The iMac glass panels are held in place by magnets. All you need are a pair of heavy duty suction cups to safely remove the panel. The problem is most houses are filthy/dusty and you'd end up with more dust behind the glass than when you started. Unless you live somewhere with powerful HVACs and dust filtering, or in a hermetically sealed clean room, I don't recommend trying to clean the backside of the glass panel.
    No. This is not dirt between the front glass the the panel. It's between the panel and the backlight. You need to pry out the whole panel from the chassis, cut off the tapes etc. holding the panel to the backlight, lift up the panel and clean between it and the backlight. This is a very widespread problem and while Apple blames it on "environmental issues" the reality is that it's a design/manufacturing flaw.

You can see photo guide to cleaning it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1101370&page=2

First off .. most of the developers I work with prefer lots of desktop space since they need various windows open at once (I'm a configuration manager, so I work very closely with developers). I know quite a few who swear by the 17" MacBook Pro and do a lot of development on it. I certainly wouldn't recommend going smaller than 15". I'd prioritise RAM over disk space/speed and get as much of each as I can afford.

Secondly regarding Office Apps ... Apple's iWork is good and very cheap (especially compared to MS Office). However, there's also OpenOffice available for OSX, and NeoOffice (a Mac-specific spin-off of OpenOffice), both of which are free.

Third if you're serious about becoming a developer, I'd recommend getting used to keeping your code in a version control tool. Firstly it's a requirement at most companies and secondly, it allows you to easily compare code with previous versions (making it much easier to track down bugs) or revert to a previous version. Subversion is free and fairly easy to get your head around. If you'd prefer a good GUI for it, I can recommend Cornerstone (google cornerstone osx), which'll cost you about $60US.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    No. This is not dirt between the front glass the the panel. It's between the panel and the backlight. You need to pry out the whole panel from the chassis, cut off the tapes etc. holding the panel to the backlight, lift up the panel and clean between it and the backlight. This is a very widespread problem and while Apple blames it on "environmental issues" the reality is that it's a design/manufacturing flaw.

You can see photo guide to cleaning it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1101370&page=2
    That's unfortunate if true. I don't have this problem with my 2011 iMac though, but I don't have it near anything that produces fumes.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    That's unfortunate if true. I don't have this problem with my 2011 iMac though, but I don't have it near anything that produces fumes.
    The tapes etc. inside the machine itself produce fumes when they heat up. These problems will typically manifest in 1-2 years of use, it is very likely that yours will develop them as well (they only get worse with time). Put up a flat grey color that fills the entire screen and look around for smudges, especially on the right side of the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    MacBook Air is awesome from the looks of it. I am rather not a fan of MACs considering its limitations for a PC enthiusiast but MacBook Air is pretty solid machine. Also really depends how much power you require ...RAM/HDD space though for programmer.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    First off .. most of the developers I work with prefer lots of desktop space since they need various windows open at once (I'm a configuration manager, so I work very closely with developers). I know quite a few who swear by the 17" MacBook Pro and do a lot of development on it. I certainly wouldn't recommend going smaller than 15". I'd prioritise RAM over disk space/speed and get as much of each as I can afford.

Secondly regarding Office Apps ... Apple's iWork is good and very cheap (especially compared to MS Office). However, there's also OpenOffice available for OSX, and NeoOffice (a Mac-specific spin-off of OpenOffice), both of which are free.

Third if you're serious about becoming a developer, I'd recommend getting used to keeping your code in a version control tool. Firstly it's a requirement at most companies and secondly, it allows you to easily compare code with previous versions (making it much easier to track down bugs) or revert to a previous version. Subversion is free and fairly easy to get your head around. If you'd prefer a good GUI for it, I can recommend Cornerstone (google cornerstone osx), which'll cost you about $60US.
    This is some good information
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-02-06 at 01:09 PM.
    -K

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, if you plan on getting something other than the standard amount of ram or hhd, do NOT upgrade it through apple. They charge a ridiculous amount for ram and hhds. Both of those are user replaceable so buy them froma separate vendor and install them yourself.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

IF you need portability go mac book pro 15 inch. 17 seems a lil big. the "space between the keyboard and track pad to the egde of the computer. It lil uncomfortable if you ask me. BUY apple care. its worth every penny. since ANY "other than you dropping or dumping water on it" will be covered. wireless cards dying or dead pixels. whatever the case.

I think this is resolved by now, since it's gone a few months since (next to)-last post.

Closed.