1) My raid burns platform 1/2 sub-90%, and 3/4 I solo dot down to 90%, but never below.
2) RoF for highest spellweaving procs - SoC fine if your aoe is good. Never dot-spam them.
3) I use BoA glyph for all fights in DS. My little lazy secret, don't tell anyone :-)
4) Jinx will affect it once in range - just burn.
-I save soulswap for parasite + bolts, but my raid doesn't actually require me to dps parasites (we only bother getting them sub50% - so only fast-swap classes really focus on them - spriest + arcane etc).
-Sflame glyph is awesome p2 - saved so many screwups.
With all this spellweave mechanics in this fight, how would you guys rank our trinkets here in general? Does anyone have experience with CoC/VPL triggering extra Spellweavedamage?
Personally i´m asking, because i recently got CoC LFR (yay, finally! ) and so i try to find the best combo with HVPL/HICM/WoU/CoC LFR (affliction specc) for Madness HC with Simcraft not being able to simulate theSpellweaveproc-thing.
Last edited by Bebopx; 2012-02-24 at 11:29 AM.
Darkzyrklord made a really good guide for warlocks here ... hope it helps
Madness of Deathwing
This fight is ridiculously fun. You get to see a huge amount of numbers, have a ton of options, and have a ton of room to learn little tricks to maximize your output.
General Fight Strategy
You've done normal mode a bunch. Literally the only change beyond more hp and bigger numbers is the addition of the Corrupting Parasite which you need to kill (read the encounter journal or watch a kill video to see how they function).
Standard platform kill order is Green-->Red-->Yellow-->Blue
100% important holy crap you need this or your raid will literally laugh at you: Make a /target macro for parasites and bolts. You can target the bolts while they're still a million miles away.
Affliction: King spec for this fight.
- Soul swap allows for easy target switching (onto either Parasites or Bolts).
- Soulburn + SoC = god mode for bloods
- The self healing is incredibly good. I had 1.1 million healing on myself with siphon life on our kill.
- Has a stronger BoA than the other specs. You will be using this on the bloods (which I will explain why in a bit)
- Scales with haste exceedingly well (you have a ton on this fight)
- Requires constant life tapping due to ridiculously fast cast speed (1.3 second shadow bolts generally).
- Has arguably the strongest execute damage in the game. A good chunk of the fight involves things in drain soul range.
Demonology: Only use if nobody else is bringing 10% spell power.
- Roughly 10k to 20k dps behind Affliction at the end of the fight.
- Requires melee range to maximize damage, but being in melee range of the corruption tentacle is a big no-no.
- Neither Immolation Aura, nor Hellfire proc spellweaving in an effective manner.
- Horrendously bad for fast target swaps.
- Immolate does last a long time, which is good for bloods.
- Mana feed means you won't need to life tap much.
Destruction: Has potential, but isn't as good as Affliction
- Arguably better snap target swap damage than Affliction due to a quick conflag + 3x incinerate
- Readily goes into the sub 1 second cast territory for incinerate while under backdraft
- Multidot potential is lower than Affliction.
- BoH is nice, but is mainly used to ensure trickle damage onto the corruptions/wing tentacles while you're attacking bloods.
- Higher Rain of Fire damage is nice.
- Nether Ward is useful during the constant AOE damage at certain points in the fight.
- No execute whatsoever.
- The biggest problem with Destruction is that everything it brings to the table for this fight is merely acceptable, not mindblowingly awesome like Affliction.
Warlock Specific Strategies
I'm making the assumption you're Affliction for this fight, so let's get started.
Your felhunter appears to take full damage from the initial parasite explosion, also he loves to stand next to it automatically (with our positioning at least). Make sure to manually move it into the main melee clump.
The main reason Affliction is so good for this fight is because of the sheer amount of Spellweaving damage you can bring to the table. Let's go over the spells you'll be using here:
UA & Corruption & BoA: Your bread and butter dots on this fight. Every DoT tick has a chance to proc spellweaving.
Shadowflame: The direct damage portion, and the DoT portion have a chance to proc spell weaving. ***THIS IS YOUR BEST SPELL FOR THE BLOODS IF YOU ARE IN MELEE RANGE***
Soulburn-->SoC: The DD portion of SoC can cause a single tick of spell weaving, which kind of sucks. However, putting corruption on every blood is amazing.
Rain of Fire (lolwut): Here's the deal. For the purposes of spellweaving, each tick of RoF counts as a separate direct damage spell on every target it hits. Because of this, RoF is your main AOE spell on this fight. Use it on the bloods for just 5 seconds and look at your damage skyrocket. It's absolutely insane.
I'll go over what happens on each platform and what order you should be doing things.
1. Fight start: Attack wing/arm tentacle
1a. (Optional): Double dot the wing tentacle on the blue platform. This is a more advanced thing once you progress further in the fight.
2. Corruption tentacle spawns: DoT it up and send your pet over.
3. Parasite spawns: Swap to it and kill it before it explodes (potentially use soul swap)
4. Attack corruption tentacle more
5. Bolt spawns: Swap to it and kill it before it lands (potentially use soul swap)
6. Bloods spawn:
- Tab BoA each blood
- Tab UA each blood
7. Parasite spawns and bloods are dragged to it: RoF the bloods
8. Bloods & Parasite & Corruption tentacle die within a short period of time in between each
9. Swap to wing/arm tentacle
10. Tab Corruption the fiery tentacles if Alextrazsa isn't up
11. Kill wing/arm tentacle and move to next platform
1. DoT up the head
2. Get 3 stacks of shadow embrace
3. Go to town with drain soul
4. Tab corruption/UA the shrapnel tentacles when they spawn
5. Ignore the 2 big adds when they spawn initially
6. SB-->SoC the bloods when they spawn, then follow up with RoF as they run in.
7. Kill the 2 big adds
8. Repeat until dead.
9. Enjoy your tit staff if you don't have the legendary already.
10. Pray you roll high enough to win one of the mounts.
The reason you stop attacking the corruption while the bloods are up is because spell weaving cleaves off the bloods and onto the corruption, thus netting you more effective dps. The off-tank will wrangle up the blood and keep them next to the corruption to ensure this. Once the parasite spawns, the OT will move the bloods over to the parasite to make it die faster as well.
Having 3 dots + RoF means you have the potential for the highest spellweaving damage of any class in the game. On our kill, 24% of my damage was from spellweaving (for a grand total of 16.7 Million damage @ 773 ticks). Take advantage of your strength and think of it as retribution for being one of the worst classes on Spine of Deathwing.
Credits go to Darkzyrklord
Thanks a lot Iffnar for pointing this post ! (and thanks Darkzyrklord for writing it)
indeed, what a great guide i was single targeting the mutated corruption but it seems that spellweaving cleave is better i'm giving that a shot today and hope dw falls today
I'm really wondering how the Spellweave mechanic works? What is meant by "Spellweave cleave"? I thought spellweave had a chance to proc off every single attack made against a target, IE: Dot ticks, damage procs, direct damage attacks, and aoe attacks. Does it not work like that?
The mechanic itself is simple: You dmg something and it can procc a 6y? explosion that hurts everything around the target
but it doesn't work for every spell or doesn't work equally well for every spell:
- I have read that Hellfire doesn't procc it at all
- Seed of corruption only the cast itself can procc it I think(so 1 procc)
- Rain of fire every single tick for every single mob can procc it so if there are 6 mobs and you cast rain of fire on them all 6 of them could procc spellweave every 1.5 seconds or something depending on your haste ofc
I think this guide was made for 25 man raids. I don't know if every bit of information in it can be used for 10 man raiding
He made a guide for every fight in DS and they can all be found here
Last edited by Iffnar; 2012-03-01 at 09:01 PM.
Does anyone know if drain life procs Spellweave?
i was looking for someone to go more in depth about demo on this fight
i've looked at the top 10 logs as demo and see they are all incinerate spec and none of them used ring of fire
i would love to know the reason behind both (25H)
We killed this boss this week for the first time .. using this guide ... ranked world 11 or something for affliction also frapsed it
I can post the video if you want to(as soon as youtube stops hating me) ^^
I'll never be able to whore that much spellweave off the bloods though, as the entire guild is already trying to along side me :P You had several of them survive the first spawn, our problem is that we kill them (almost) too fast because we're all dotting them up. Interesting video nonetheless!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2oUGTEx1cE thats the version with vent(if you understand german ^^) and some music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSPMj_HQNRY alternative version if you don't like the music
It was our firstkill so not that much meter whoring ... or not intentionally
Edit: Fraps killed my performance a little and I was nervous so maybe I can get better
Last edited by Iffnar; 2012-03-02 at 03:26 PM.