WOW, apparently the launcher wants to contact the University of New Hampsire?

Why is my SWTOR launcher exe trying to contact University of New Hampsire? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=249888 is the original thread, it quickly derails but Bioware at least responded to it. Can you say oops. I wonder how many other gems like this are running about in the code, could explain issues people bring up that other people never experience.

Hey everyone,

Due to the odd nature of this issue, one of our developers has asked us to post this on his behalf in order to clarify what is happening:

The network call in question is from a 3rd party library we use as part of our launching system. The call is intended to optimize the performance of a P2P feature of this library which we do not use and do not intend to use. Note that the call is to a public stun protocol server which is, in fact, hosted by the University of New Hampshire. A future update to our launcher will disable this completely.

We hope that answers your question!

Joveth Gonzalez | Associate Online Community Manager
    Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR |Like us on Facebook
    [Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

That thread made me lol, so many people blowing off steam just because they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a bit of an oversight. Not really anything to get upset over.

That's the final straw, I'm unsubscribing right now!
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    Why is my SWTOR launcher exe trying to contact University of New Hampsire? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=249888 is the original thread, it quickly derails but Bioware at least responded to it. Can you say oops. I wonder how many other gems like this are running about in the code, could explain issues people bring up that other people never experience.

Hey everyone,

Due to the odd nature of this issue, one of our developers has asked us to post this on his behalf in order to clarify what is happening:

The network call in question is from a 3rd party library we use as part of our launching system. The call is intended to optimize the performance of a P2P feature of this library which we do not use and do not intend to use. Note that the call is to a public stun protocol server which is, in fact, hosted by the University of New Hampshire. A future update to our launcher will disable this completely.

We hope that answers your question!

Joveth Gonzalez | Associate Online Community Manager
    Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR |Like us on Facebook
    [Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]
    [Insert sub/origin/ea conspiracy theory]

[Insert something about WoW being the best game ever made]

[Insult random person resulting in a warning]
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haha thats brilliant, i love reading threads were people smell blood and just all go in a frenzy=)

Best post in the whole thread

"You do realize that BW could be shipping all our info to a clandestine group who is collecting it for the NSA or something right?

The point is we have no way of knowing what this is truly being used for other than some "oops we didn't realise" statement by a DEV.

People will start saying you are a tinfoil hat paranoid to even suggest it could happen but that's a laugh since that sort of thing has happened many times in the past on the internet with other things. A wise person doesn't just accept the first "oops we didn't know" explanation.

There is a difference between being paranoid and being wise."

The NSA yo, a government agency whose operations are limited to foreign communication has teamed up with an American company and campus to steal our info's man.
    LOL, love it
    Last edited by monostat; 2012-02-06 at 12:41 PM.

I knew it they where using our pc's to discover extra terrestrial life! HAR! busted!

I read about this when it first popped up and I don't see the problem. It's good that they explained the reasoning why the launcher does this, but there is nothing here to get upset about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xeonix View Post
    I knew it they where using our pc's to discover extra terrestrial life! HAR! busted!
    Explains why there's that much lag and delays, we're running an embedded Seti@Home in the background...

Deleted
    Yeah, the game is probably using our computers to analyse signals coming from a galaxy far far away ... waitaminute!!!!

I don't play SWTOR, so forgive me for not knowing for sure, but are people upset because UNH is firmly on the Republic's side?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    That's the final straw, I'm unsubscribing right now!
    Damn right, how dare they use anything but their own code!

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    omg, what? ads? say it isn't so... I disagree with having ads on a paid subscription, but I am not going to gripe at BW, they have enough on their plate with fixing the game. Good troll fodder though, thanks.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Please don't bump old threads.