Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

A gripe with companions...

Now perhaps i'm alone in this but I have a minor gripe with the current companion system. BW gives us 5 unique companions (not including that arse kissing droid) all with different personalities and story however it seems that only one companion ever feels viable. For example I am a Bounty Hunter and have a variety of interesting companions yet it seems they're all useless compared to Mako... If I quest with Blizz it feels like i'm handicapping myself as the poor jawa always seems to get killed after each battle. Now I understand each companion has a different role but currently it feels like one companion is better than the rest overall resulting in the others collecting dust

Could it be a gear issue ? Because Blizz is awesome at getting aggro on everything. Have you gotten him Artifact quality [Purple] gear ?

I felt the same with my Jedi Knight, once you get ur healer there's no turning back.

But with my Sith Assassin I find myself switching companions all the time, sometimes I need my tank, some times my melee or range is needed or maybe I have to use my healer. Probally just depends on class/talents/play style etc.

blizz is a tank. A tank can't tank for very long without a healer :P

Blizz would probably be my favourite companion if I went healer spec. Or gault, depending on if I was killing AoE packs or a single tough mob.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    blizz is a tank. A tank can't tank for very long without a healer :P
    But then that would mean healers would only find Blizz viable

Levelling my marauder, I was using Vetta (ranged dps) until I got Malavai (ranged dps/healer). I found he was close to useless, as he didn't seem to like trying to keep me at >90% hp at all times, which is what I would have wanted of him. When I got Broonmark (melee dps/tank), I haven't gone back. Most Warriors I know like to keep Jaesa (melee dps) out, but I just enjoy having the big white hairy beast with me.

It's really a combination of spec/playstyle that determines which companion you should have out. I just didn't want to use ranged because they tend to pull pats on me a lot. Which Broonmark also a tank, he taunts enemies off me on occasion, which I eventually pull the threat from with my dps. But it helps spread out the damage allowing both of us to come out alive in the end.

Of course, once you hit 50, unless you're on Ilum in the PvE areas, companions don't really do much.

Deleted
    I dunno perhaps I would've preferred if each companion was equally as viable for questing regardless of spec

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Well of course there are going to be companions that are better for different specs... it'd be silly if all companions were best for your dps spec.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

That's one of my biggest complaints about the game. I'm not entirely stuck with Theran, but with him I can solo the heroic 2 belsavis daily, and even one of the champions inside the heroic 4 one with the generators. If I was to try Nadia with that, we'd both die horribly.

Typically you can get by with whichever companion you want, but there is almost always one which simply outshines the others and there's not much you can do about it if you're trying to tackle more difficult solo content. I noticed it a lot since I spent a good bit of time either under or at level for class quests because I didn't play ocd completely finish every planet.

I feel the same way, however I have concluded that it is down to a combination of:

a) Being used to having a pocket healer
    b) The companion you use the most will generally have the better gear, as you are more likely to choose upgrades for that companion
    c) As a dps, a healer companion is simply more optimal than another dps or a tank.

Personally I find using Mako enables me to concentrate on dps ( don't need to stop what I'm doing to heal her as I would with a tank companion, some nice @focus macros would help here hint hint) and take bigger risks, if I use Blizz or Skadge, I find that my healing is not always good enough to keep them up and having to switch from my target to my companion to heal them is a major ballache, whilst as long as I pop my defensive cds and self heals (kolto overload and talented vent heat) I can happily solo multiple strongs, elites with weak/standards ass backup, anything other than one of those super elites (champions?) which would squash poor Blizz with my healing output.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a dps fighting standard strong and weak mobs i was using a dps companion (Andronikos cuz he is a beast), for elites and the occasional champion mob, tank (Khem Val). Leveled a bit as a healer and used Andronikos and that Padawan chick you convert. In general you can do all the quest with Khem, just using a dps can make it faster.

EDIT. As a general note, companions that have the same basic stat as you are better for leveling then others cause you can easily gear them.
    Last edited by mirodin; 2012-02-06 at 12:12 PM.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

I can't stand Doc as a JK, I find him to be an annoyance. So I quest with Scourge in DPS stance, My Kira's still not got her gear sorted, though I'm working on modding the Dancers gear.

Good times await.

I feel the same way. Gear could be a factor, but its hard for me to justify using any other companion than my healing companion. After obtaining Elara, I just didn't use any others. I tried using my tanking and companions keeping their gear up to par with content, but it just doesn't work out as well for me as having Elara out for healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now perhaps i'm alone in this but I have a minor gripe with the current companion system. BW gives us 5 unique companions (not including that arse kissing droid) all with different personalities and story however it seems that only one companion ever feels viable. For example I am a Bounty Hunter and have a variety of interesting companions yet it seems they're all useless compared to Mako... If I quest with Blizz it feels like i'm handicapping myself as the poor jawa always seems to get killed after each battle. Now I understand each companion has a different role but currently it feels like one companion is better than the rest overall resulting in the others collecting dust
    Eh that entirely depends on your spec and class. For instance as a Healing Jedi Sage, I use three out of my five companions: Qyzen, Zenith, and Nadia.

I feel only the damage dealer companions are useless. as sorceror I found 3 of my 5 companions very useful.
    But maybe differently specced inquistors found a use for the damage dealers.

I feel close to this, have a bh and agent, now agent was interesting cause the "main" companion gets taken for a whole planet and found the others way better, the hottie agent wanny be girl kicks butt over kylo. With bh all but mako and bliz I find useful. Though use mako dispute the fact I hate her to the core, she started out alright then kept crying over everything now all I I think when she talks is "shut up mako". She didn't like me killing the race of embread rat people.. Really they live in a big pile of garbage and she cried over them.. Shut up mako..
    Ya screw companion, gearing them up sucks too, take all my money..

On my medic commando only tanks are viable. Well, tank/dps, all companions seem to either have a tanking or healing stance.

I'd like to play with my medic companion, but that would get pretty ridiculous and fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same boat for me. Healing comps are just to much of a conviniece as a DPS to not over use them. Ah well.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

As a sorceror, I've found my healing companion to be the best for me.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Deleted
    As sniper, i've found both Lokin and Kaliyo good, Kaliyo is good for group of mobs while Lokin for quest bosses. But other companions? Okay perhaps Scorpio will be nice melee tank, but others are naaaaah. Take in mind that i'm 38lvl currently.