Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a jedi sentinal i always used Kira ( dps ). Double dps kills stuff so fast, used doc once ( whenn you get forced to ) ran back to kira as soon as i could.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I felt the same with my Jedi Knight, once you get ur healer there's no turning back.
    I completely disagree on that. i can count on one hand the number of times I actually used Doc. He is actually completely unnecessary. Just gear up Kira properly for DPS and you have no issues at all. Properly rotate your cooldowns on harder mobs and Doc isn't even necessary.

Also of note, I actually love coming across random Imps in the world who have a healer. I just pop a c/d, tell Kira to attack the companion and I attack the companion as well. Once that healer is dead, the Imp doesn't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Crookers View Post
    ... some nice @focus macros would help here hint hint) ....
    There is a feature in the interface that you can bind a key to modify your spells to hit the focus target

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    As a sorceror, I've found my healing companion to be the best for me.
    I am a Sorcerer and I find Khem,tanking to be most effective! Not only is he tanking, he helps kill the target, and if he happens to die(which rarely happens w/ static barrier), it is right at the very tail end of a elite!

I said it before, i'll say it again

we should be able to chose the role that our companion performs So that we can quest with what ever companion we want.

if we want a dps, we can pay a fee to respec them to dps, if we want a healer, the same. and so on.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I completely disagree on that. i can count on one hand the number of times I actually used Doc. He is actually completely unnecessary. Just gear up Kira properly for DPS and you have no issues at all. Properly rotate your cooldowns on harder mobs and Doc isn't even necessary.

Also of note, I actually love coming across random Imps in the world who have a healer. I just pop a c/d, tell Kira to attack the companion and I attack the companion as well. Once that healer is dead, the Imp doesn't stand a chance.
    If people were smart they would CC your companion and easily kill you
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    If people were smart they would CC your companion and easily kill you
    Luckily, that goes both ways. Without bolstering, killing me is very hard in open world PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to quest with some companion, you can respec yourself and do that (and this is only necessary if you are both healers). If you are for some reason looking to perform as good as possible, naturally the companion with a different spec than you will do best.
    If you are not DPS, your companion should be. Otherwise everything will be horribly slow, even if you do kill it.
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

i tried my hardest to make use of blizz (gave him all my sidegrades and crafted some stuff for him) but he just melted. i spent more time dismissing and resummoning than i did questing. sadly undergeared mako (by atleast 20 lvls) never died, heal'd me, and did about the same dps blizz was doing (when she wasnt spamming that stupid stasis thing). she also made it easier to just run through things in the way to where i wanted to go cause her healing aggro would mean the mobs would just kill her while i ran to safety. i found when i used gault i could usually kil things but it was alot closer to me dying in the end and created more down time. and torian is just annoying too much jonny yong bosch. no thx.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulturia View Post
    If you want to quest with some companion, you can respec yourself and do that (and this is only necessary if you are both healers). If you are for some reason looking to perform as good as possible, naturally the companion with a different spec than you will do best.
    If you are not DPS, your companion should be. Otherwise everything will be horribly slow, even if you do kill it.
    I agree with this. I have a tank and a healer, and both use a DPS companion. However I've also used a healer companion on my tank (makes everything incredibly slow) and a tank companion on my healer (mostly to solo group quests and 2+ quests).

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post

actually, the advantage having a healer in open pvp is exactly that: it forces the enemy to kill him first, which gives you plenty time to kill the enemy player.
    your example shows exactly why a healer iy by far the best companion for open pvp, regardless of your class/spec. heck even for a healer.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    actually, the advantage having a healer in open pvp is exactly that: it forces the enemy to kill him first, which gives you plenty time to kill the enemy player.
    your example shows exactly why a healer iy by far the best companion for open pvp, regardless of your class/spec. heck even for a healer.
    On my Commando, i certainly ignore the healer and DPS the player down. However, on my JG, the number of cooldowns that I have ensures that the player can't DPS me down before Kira and I kill the healer and then the player. I know it is bait. The best part is that it doesn't really work against tank classes if played properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have used a few of mine- using Nadia right now for the most part, unless I'm trying to do a harder boss. Sometimes it's just easier to pull out Tharan. Why? Holiday. Her extra interrupts allow me to do bosses that I couldn't with anyone else.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    But then that would mean healers would only find Blizz viable
    Not at all, Healers can use any of the companions with ease. As far as companions go, you get 2 dps (1 range, 1 melee) 2 tanks (1 range, 1 melee) and 1 healer (2 if you wanna try to gear that annoying robot.)

As a healer, using a tank companion means mobs die slower, but you can focus more on dps, with the occasional heal. With a DPS companion you can kill groups quickly, but you just need to pay a bit more attention to their health bar (and yours, cause you can and will pull aggro), and a healer companion gan be set to dps as well, but I'd suspect it's the slowest way to kill a group your level.

As a healer I like to use DPS companions a lot, to kill things quicker. I know if I'm going to pull a really difficult group, then I should use a tank, but I can easily keep my dps companions alive.

Also, you need to realize that the companion you start off with will always seem more viable than other companions because they need to get good gear when you first get them. Their starting gear is CRAP.

In the situation of Blizz dieing all the time, perhaps it's 1 of 2 factors: 1) You need to gear him, as his defense stats are garbage when you first get him, 2) Things simply are dieing too slow, and you need to step up the DPS.

No a bash against you, just a possibility.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Playing jedi shadow, I levelled up changing very often my companion.

Just make sure their gear is up to standards, and you will find the same I'm sure.

Any non-heroic quests, I use a dpser companion. It goes so much faster even if I loose a bit of health. However, I also find that using a tank companion (Qyzen) was quite good as well since they get back to max health every time you jump on your speeder. So you don't have to loose time healing them. Even when they die, just get on your speeder and they are back up at full health.

For any elite quest or end of quest boss, I would use my healer. However, for some of them, I could not do it so I used a tank companion instead and burn the boss down while he is taking the hit and most of the time die. That seemed to work well some of the time.

Personally, I found that while using the healer companion was maybe safer, on average the lack of dps is making loose a lot of time.

I maxed out my affection on my tank so I've been using the healer just to get him some affection points. Despite being somewhat poorly geared (no implants) he handles most mobs nicely. If I run into any issues I pull out my tank and usually the mob goes down. However, I am starting to tackle mobs where no matter what companion I use I end up dead.

Not my experience at all. As an Assassin, I use Ashara for DPS if I'm a tank, Khem for tanking if I'm a DPS and Talos for healing if I'm doing a 2/4 man quest or killing a rare mob. I could use Andronikos for DPS too, but I constantly have him out on UWT missions as he has a critical bonus for them. As for Xalek, I just got him too late, I haven't gotten around to knowing/gearing him, but he seems a viable tank once I gear him up, which I plan to do... I'm just not sure if I'm gonna like him more than Khem, the monster's awesome

You've just been spoiled/tricked as a DPS into thinking having a healer companion is the fastest route because of no downtime. Considering the healers have some DPS too, you MIGHT be right, but not necessarily so. A tank companion will tank and nuke full time and if you do it right and have some DPS, he's gonna need healing VERY rarely. And when they do need that healing, you can just dismiss/summon them, which puts them at 100% health in some 2 seconds, not something I consider a painful downtime. I might be biased myself though, as an Assassin DPS, having a tank is very handy so you can Maul mobs (need to be behind the target to do it).
    Last edited by Vrachara; 2012-02-06 at 04:17 PM.

Well it depends on class and spec, clearly. For example

My Gunslinger used Corso from start to finish. We had some rough patches at first (He used to deathgrip things like a fresh 55 DK. Why he would think I wanted things in our face is beyond me) But once that little 'Abilities on CTRL7 turn back on everytime you dismount!' issue got resolved it was smooth sailing. Corso works for me over Risha (dps) or Gus (healing) Because I don't like getting face punched and I put out enough stupid burst that Corso and I always walk away from anything save a champion mob. And, honestly, none of my companions are going to make that doable for me, so /shrug. My Sent keeps T7 int he best gear with cybertech and that's probably how I'll roll all the way to 50.

On My Juggy it's all Quinn all the time. I roll as Immortal, in tank stance, and it's a thing of beauty. I have grabbed two pulls then facepulled another/had a strong pat into me and as long as I can keep them off Quinn I won't die. My Shadow tank rolls with scumbag Tharen, for the same reasons.

On my merc I gave Mako the boot ASAP and right now me and my horned friend are roaming about. I only have these two right now, so i can't say who I'll end up with. My OPagent is still on Tat, and so only has Kaliyo but I'll probably ditch her when I pick up the romance option on the next planet. My Sorc rolled with Revel, until I deleted her. When I remake her I'll probably still roll with Revel.

Conclusion: A. I like to quest with my romance option (Corso, Quinn, Revel) and when I go tank I like heals (What is a tank without heals anyway?) when I'm pure dps I like a tank (Someone to take hits for me) and on my healing hybrids I like a dps (Which is basically double DPS, with my dps tanking while I heal as needed.) So I do think all companions have a place, as well as room for personal prefrence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    I said it before, i'll say it again

we should be able to chose the role that our companion performs So that we can quest with what ever companion we want.

if we want a dps, we can pay a fee to respec them to dps, if we want a healer, the same. and so on.
    I agree, or at least balance em all to be equally viable regardless of spec. For a game that coins players freedom and choice it feels very ridged companion wise

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends. On my level 50 Sith Assassin tank I always use Andronikos because the healer companion is useless (could be gear related but I think he's just a shit healer) and unless I'm soloing a heroic 4 champion, I ain't gonna die before them.
    For my level 43 Op healer, I use Ensign coz she does nice ranged dps damage, BUT if I need to solo a nasty elite, Kaliyo comes out to play - I've kept her gear up to date so she's a pretty good tank.