Thread: Orgrimmar Fog

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Orgrimmar Fog

Has anyone else noticed that at certain points just outside the city you get a truely awesome view... Great picture vibrant colour... then as you enter it just fogs over?

Is it just me that finds this really annoying?

Blizzard in a nutshell; "Look, shiny shiny, over here." When you get there, "OK, so it's a lot duller than we lead you to believe, but in our optics it's still pretty damn shiny. In fact it's as shiny as we can get it."

To the smog-theory fans: Does Los Angeles look all crisp from a distance only to get smogged over when you get there? :P
    Last edited by Sativaspirit; 2012-02-06 at 01:13 PM.

Deleted
    I believe this is something you can adjust to a certain degree by changing a few settings in a config text file.

I dont find it annoying. Its just part of the city, you know, smog and stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    This, smoke from all the forges, fumes from all the fires that are EVERYWHERE. It would look odd if you 'didn't have some sort of smog imo.

Its a city. Many cities have haze and smog. Furthermore, its a city in a desert that is surrounded by dust and sand allover. So I think the fog fits in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    This, smoke from all the forges, fumes from all the fires that are EVERYWHERE. It would look odd if you 'didn't have some sort of smog imo.
    Dont forget all the trikes and bikes

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont see the big deal, it's a huge city in the dessert. Alot of construction and whatnot, also goblins. Cant have goblins without pollution.
    Old orgrimmar also had this dusty and smoky atmosphere to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is potentially an interesting in-game explanation, I mean there are tons of fires burning in that city all the time, people on their mechano-hog mounts, etc. For the city to be smoky/foggy makes some sense. Also, it might have to do with the fact that since there are usually so many people in Orgrimmar, rendering such detailed distant areas while handling all the player hustle and bustle might be seen as a source of potential system stress, and so they fog the city over to cause fewer FPS issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if it's the smog over the city, why don't you see it from outside but have a clear sight at the city? Guess that's the point of the question.

I thinks the smog or fog is zone-based, while outside of Orgrimmar, you are in Durotar - another zone.

Sometime's it rains over Darnassus but not on Teldrassil if you leave Darnassus to Dolanaar.

Deleted
    I actually really like the fog, but it disappears on me when I finish loading.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it rather weird. When I load into Org it's foggy and all the stuff. Then I move for about 5 seconds and it disappears.
    Making your GIF Avatar to 20kb is hard. Especially when the original is 504kb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that at certain points just outside the city you get a truely awesome view... Great picture vibrant colour... then as you enter it just fogs over?
    Yep, I have and it annoys me. Not because I don't agree that it's smog, but the fact that it only happens to me in certain parts of the city. Sometimes I'll be in Valley of Strength and it won't be "foggy" but other times I'll be there and it will be like pea soup. Frankly, I want Blizzard to bring back the weather effects in ALL zones. Players that have issues running those effects should be able to turn off the effect. I play on Ultra and haven't seen it rain, snow, or anything in ANY zone since like TBC, aside from maybe one or two places in Northrend.

Wow I never noticed it in such detail as this video shows. That really sucks to be honest

Maybe there's a certain height you can reach where you won't see smog over Orgrimmar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valexie View Post
    I play on Ultra and haven't seen it rain, snow, or anything in ANY zone since like TBC, aside from maybe one or two places in Northrend.
    Well, yesterday it rained over Darnassus on EU-Die Aldor. I play on Ultra too. ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Dont see the big deal, it's a huge city in the dessert.
    Sorry, but I had to laugh at this typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas 45 View Post
    I find it rather weird. When I load into Org it's foggy and all the stuff. Then I move for about 5 seconds and it disappears.
    It happens in real life too you know. Fog/Rain is delimited geographically.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's bad in places like icecrown etc

basically they have a filter over the screen, but it's basically zone specific, so swapping zone changes (sometimes) the filter

as for the loading in org thing, that fog is a bit over the top, as part of the graphics and texture loading i think

I just checked it, and it works like it should imo.

The higher you fly higher above the city, the 'foggier' it all gets, the more you close in on a certain point, the clearer it gets.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just checked it, and it works like it should imo.

The higher you fly higher above the city, the 'foggier' it all gets, the more you close in on a certain point, the clearer it gets.
    Of course... because your further away....

I'm not moving further away though... I'm moving closer and getting a worse picture...