Suggestions? Computer not posting

So... my gaming computer quit on me last night. I wasn't even gaming at the time. The screen suddenly just blacked out and the computer turned itself off. When I try to turn it on, the power light goes on, the fans start, and I hear the hard drives start to spin. No beeps (usually there's 1 single beep).

I'm assuming either: PSU isn't providing enough power to the CPU, or the CPU is shot, or the MoBo is shot, or something is causing a short.

I'm going to take it apart, clean out any accumulated dust, and reseat everything.

Any suggestions beyond that?

Edit: the computer in question is about 5 years old. I know it's time for an upgrade, but it's been enough to handle everything I feel like playing so far.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-02-06 at 06:30 PM.

I'd say suggest before taking *everything* out at once...take out one piece of hardware to see if you can pinpoint the problem---start with the GPU, HDD, maybe any other PCI/PCI-E cards you might have installed, RAM, etc.

From what it sounds like, if it was working fine and suddenly died...it's probably something in there that has taken a crap. Do you monitor your temperatures often? I want to say it sounds like something overheated and maybe burned itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydest View Post
    From what it sounds like, if it was working fine and suddenly died...it's probably something in there that has taken a crap. Do you monitor your temperatures often? I want to say it sounds like something overheated and maybe burned itself out.
    I wasn't monitoring the temps at the time it blew up, no. I wasn't even gaming at the time, like I mentioned. I do sometimes monitor and I've never seen anything unreasonable though.

Thanks for the suggestion about narrowing down the cause, that sounds wise.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 08:27 PM ----------

Ok, after removing all plugs, the RAM, the GPU, and unplugging the HDs, it started going into a series of continuous long beeps when I powered it on. According to my mobo manual, that means the vid card is not installed properly.

I reseated everything, then I tried the vid card in both pcie slots with two different power connectors from the psu (fan works on the vid card, btw). Then I tried a second card in both slots with both connectors. Same result... continuous long beeps.

Any ideas? I don't have a second computer to check the vid cards in, so I can't be sure if they're dead or not.

The long beeps are actually RAM errors since you removed the RAM.

Try with one video card at a time. One of them might still be good.

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 09:37 PM ----------

Wait, I am confused, were you trying to boot with no RAM and the video card plugged in?

---------- Post added 2012-02-06 at 09:37 PM ----------

A motherboard will not POST without RAM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I believe beep codes are specific to individual BIOS manufacturer's and not global.
    yeah, but having no ram in the board won't let any of them post.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I believe beep codes are specific to individual BIOS manufacturer's and not global.
    It does continuous long beeps with or without RAM, with or without any other things attached. My mobo manual says that means a video card problem.

I'm going to see if a neighbor can let me tinker with his computer when he gets home later, to see if either of my vid cards or my RAM work or not. If they work in his... probably my mobo is broken?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It does continuous long beeps with or without RAM, with or without any other things attached. My mobo manual says that means a video card problem.

I'm going to see if a neighbor can let me tinker with his computer when he gets home later, to see if either of my vid cards or my RAM work or not. If they work in his... probably my mobo is broken?

Yes, if your video cards work in your neighbors computer, chances are very high your motherboard is a brick.

For the record, every motherboard I have ever diagnosed in any PC(which is a LOT) beeps when you pull the ram. That is how you check to see if the mobo is a brick in the first place. If you can pull the ram and the motherboard DOESN'T beep, you have a dead motherboard. They don't all have the same length of tone, or the same sound, but they all make a sound. That was not to say that they ONLY beep because of RAM.

Back on topic: Yes your video cards should give a good indication in your neighbors computer as to whether your motherboard is throwing false positives for RAM/VGA errors.