Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was referring to the article you posted, which was poorly conducted. It proved nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all in how you say it. Saying more water = weightloss is bogus. Saying replacing shitty drinks with water = weightloss is much different.

God damn some people are critical of ANGTHING.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fat wont break down without adequate reserves of water in the body..as easily anyway.
    Infact, the body will turn to breaking down muscle instead of fat to gain water, aswell as the energy that it needs.
    [Citation needed] but i CBF

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    God damn some people are critical of ANGTHING.
    Unfortunately it's in the details where things make a difference.

You can tell someone to go on a high protein diet, but if they don't eat at a caloric deficit, or just increase their protein but still eat fast food all the time, you won't lose weight.

Not to mention, there's a ton of broscience out there that's just bullshit and trying to get people rich by buying their product.

Again, details and proper sources matter. Anyone can say something incorrectly or write a weight loss article. Doesn't mean it's always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xib View Post
    It's not a myth, farmacy companies buy media to give people misleading information, meanwhile to get more healthy or to lose weight was always in front of us.. you don't need to pay for water..
    Hold on, let me get my tinfoil hat.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    What about living life eating and drinking whatever you feel like? As long as you're eating/drinking in portions, rathering than chugging it all down at once ... I really hate the whole "diet" thing. I'm not fat, and the genes in my family makes me have a rather high ... food digestion (?), so eating a lot isn't really a problem for me. As long as you're keeping it under control, it's not a problem. Water diet? Pff! You're SUPPOSED to drink a lot of water throughout a day. If you really think getting down in weight through drinking water is the solution, then something you have to reconcider you options.

Quote Originally Posted by Xib View Post
    This article brings some reasonable arguments:
    I saw nothing empirical in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by teh blog
    sweet drinks go directly to the fat tissue
    Unscientific statements like that raise the alarm bells for me.

Fat is tissue that your body is capable of creating. Sweet drinks will make you fat, but because your body turns the excess sugar into fat. Fat isn't some separate entity that you can feed or starve with some magical diet.

PORTION CONTROL is the ONLY way to control weight. Atoine Lavoisier summed it up with the law of conservation of mass. Matter can't be created or destroyed, it can only change form.

Combine this with the fact that anything our body can't metabolize it will reject. Water is important because it is a component in that rejection process.

To make a car analogy, what you eat is what you put in the gas tank. The water you put in the body is like your cars motor oil. Your body doesn't consume the water, it uses it in its essential systems and it requires constant changing. (The body on average wants to REPLACE 2 litres of water a day).

Except unlike your car, any excess fuel you put into your body gets turned into fat.

When your body receives less than the required amount of food it will either: A. atrophy under-used muscles and use them for energy, or B. metabolize fat cells and use them for energy.

So the only healthy way to lose weight is to eat less, and stay active. THE ONLY. There is no magic pill, no magic technique, etc. No secret of water or organic food or whatever. It is 100% a matter of having a balanced caloric intake and remaining active so that your body doesn't digest its own muscles instead of the fat.

EDIT: Here is what you really have to do: Set a goal weight, figure out the ideal caloric intake for that goal weight, and stick to it. It could take you as many years to healthily lose 50 lbs as it took to gain them.

Edit2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Its a myth, dont you guys remeber we posted the thread a while back about that woman who was on the water diet, of just doing 8 pints a day, and she had them all in one go and killed herself, lemme see if I can dig out the thread
    It's called water toxicity. If you take in more water than your body can eliminate it your tissues will start to retain some of that water until it can be eliminated. So your brain will swell, causing you to die.

EDITMOAR:

The best thing to die is expose yourself to a broad variety of foods, etc. When your body needs something it craves,so if you have a broader palette then you can make a logical decision of which food you are craving is healthier (i.e. big mac, vs roast beef sandwich) when you are thirsty; drink. The only problem is though certain recreational drugs tamper with these cravings which in the case of thirst, because of water toxicity can be fatal.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-02-07 at 11:04 PM.

Its a myth, dont you guys remeber we posted the thread a while back about that woman who was on the water diet, of just doing 8 pints a day, and she had them all in one go and killed herself, lemme see if I can dig out the thread
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    hmm show me that article

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    The OP never said it "significantly" helps you and niether did I. The thread was discussing how it can help you lose weight (OP even said "how water helps" in title), which it has been proven to do.
    The phrase "significantly" means something completely different when it comes to science and statistics. Anything that doesn't meet a rigid methodology of testing and fall within a certain confidence interval (5% in most cases), doesn't support a hypothesis. What Shikomei is saying is that from the article posted, there appears to be no real study controls going on where important variables are accounted for.

A few years back, there was a radio station that was doing a contest. Person who drank the most water would win a Wii. Well, some woman won, then died from water poisoning.

The contest was like.. hold your water for a wii. Well, she did, and died. Water is bad.. mmmk? (jk)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865.../#.TzLHFeRtB8E

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Well duh water has zero calories...
    I think this is probably it right here.

It's not that water is helping you loose weight so much as your substituting Sodas for it. That's a massive calorie discrepancy.

I did Atkins along time ago (to great success!) and one of the things I had to do was cut out sodas. I've been drinking nothing but water for 10 years (occasionally a soda if I'm at a party). But after a few troubling events in my life, I stress-ate tons of carbs and my weight has shot back up - but I never broke the water kick. :P

So, I can attest that water itself will not loose your weight. It will, however, clean your system out well and not give you any Carb/cafene/sugar headaches. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    sometimes when you feel hungry, you're actually thirsty, drinking more water could help by "accidentally" reducing your food intake

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a friend who told me that you shouldn't drink water with meals because it diluted your stomach acid, inhibiting digestion.

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    I had a friend who told me that you shouldn't drink water with meals because it diluted your stomach acid, inhibiting digestion.

Yeah...
    You should recommend to your friend a biology class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loose and lose are not the same word

You want the one big secret to losing weight?

Move more, Eat less.

If you count calories and burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

You could lose weight eating nothing but candy so long as your calories consumed is still less than the amount you burn.

It ain't rocket science. I lost 200 lbs by simply putting the fork down.

Deleted
    You see over-eating is a habbit, it's not easy to quit it or fix it, so I think it's reasonable to use something that would eventually bring you back on track, healthy of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometime you feel hungry, but your body actually needs water, not food. Our brain makes that mistake more often than we think. It's not like water destroys fat, but drinking water during the day makes you eat less.