Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Actually it's not, they believe essentially in the same god, just everything else around that belief is different, but it's still the same guy compared to say Buddha or Ra.
    Problem is they aren't fighting over "God", they are fighting over history, "his disciples" and personal accusations and interpretations over what some piece of paper says with ink on it, dismissing it as factual and everything other than what they are raised to believe is wrong (especially those 'other' books).

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    Nuke the middle east. Done.

Though there is an obvious and blatant benefit to this method, it is a bit beyond that moral line. Secondly, they are just one group of "radicals" there are many amidst our country of many religions, many (likely every) ethnicities, many social behaviors and goals. Lastly, the problems of the middle east are caused in part by the late Jewish disruption of being there and expanding but largely due to the funding of America and war profiteers living under our flag is what arms them, gives them power and the initial momentum to be so violent.

China is an issue, but it's got its own issues and may be surprisingly a lot like America is/was in the future just with more people and of course being Chinese. NK is a problem, but again, something that has been alleviating and quite for a while now.

The biggest issue in the world right now, the #1 problem is corporatism, the whole mindset is so anti-humanity and 100% pro excessive greed. Its very nature is both sociopath and psychopath inspiring, yet we treat corporations is if they are humans and have rights as one. It causes more problems with resources and ruins any chance of more philanthropic means of capitalism (by actual accountable humans). Capitalism doesn't work for the good of the people, when its comprised of >99% corporate environment and influence.

#2 reason would be why Mid-east is so virulent: Radicalism, particularly in religion(any belief to an extent).

Simple, take away the oil of course.
    And possibly wipe out mankind, that would be a good start.

save the world from what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    Outlaw religion.

Do that and humanity is saved.
    Did you ever read Brave New World? Not exactly the planet I'd like to live on. It also nicely ties in the drug thing the OP was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jayremy
    The biggest issue in the world right now, the #1 problem is corporatism, the whole mindset is so anti-humanity and 100% pro excessive greed. Its very nature is both sociopath and psychopath inspiring, yet we treat corporations is if they are humans and have rights as one. It causes more problems with resources and ruins any chance of more philanthropic means of capitalism (by actual accountable humans). Capitalism doesn't work for the good of the people, when its comprised of >99% corporate environment and influence.
    I'm inclined to agree with this... though that's not entirely solvable with one step.

get competent people to become politicians....

wanna save the world in 1 fel swoop?....make my sig come true.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jayremy View Post
    Change people's minds.
    it is not possible

OT: Mandatory pot as per Bill Hicks recipe.

Get rid of everyone who doesn't share the exact same views as me on every conceivable subject. That extreme is the only way I see of having world peace. Humans are a contentious creature by our very nature and as long as there is any chance of disagreement, there is source for fighting. (That sounds nicely bookish)

Of course, I likely wouldn't want to live in such a world, without dissent and someone to challenge an idea, I don't think there could be much progress in that world; which leads to an interesting result. If everyone left thought the exact same as me, none of us would want to live in that world, so we'd try to do something to break the "agreement".

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do druggies always think drugs will solve all the worlds problems? Yeesh.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carstanan View Post
    Save the world in 1 step? Easy, get rid of all the people on it.
    Why? The world is doing fine, and also did fine before humans. If we were to be wiped from the earth tomorrow, earth would still be there doing just fine, and if we were to be here untill the planet dies from a supernova or something, it will last untill then. Our ability to live on the planet is a different story.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    save the world from what?
    Damn good question.

Deleted
    Learning philosophy/critical thinking mandatory for all kids.

and generally improve education, make it up to date, rather than some outdated factory model we have today!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickybuds View Post
    Learning philosophy/critical thinking mandatory for all kids.

and generally improve education, make it up to date, rather than some outdated factory model we have today!
    Teaching kids how to genuinely think critically, that would just about change everything. I can't believe I didn't really learn how to until I was like 18 through stuff like YOUTUBE (ok college did help) of all places. Before that it's not like I didn't think well, it was just much rougher.
    Last edited by Aristeia; 2012-02-08 at 09:11 AM.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Earlier in the thread there was a good idea. Making people trade places with each other in life(for long enough for it to have an effect). It would probably go a long way to increasing tolerance and compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Get rid of religion.
    That's not going far enough, but it's a start. Religions represent almost everything that is horrible about human beings: greed, egocentricity, self-righteousness, ignorance, intolerance, ideology, stubbornness, corruption, rationalization, insecurity, piousness, intrusiveness, subjectivity, bigotry, an inability to be introspective, a need for answers (regardless of accuracy or truth), and fear. Religions do, on occasion, provide some positive benefits: hope, wisdom (although this is exceptionally rare), forgiveness (of those that are "deserving") and tolerance (although this is usually only for specific "acceptable" cases - intolerance is much more common); as well it promotes community (bringing together like-minded people), and it very often guilt-trips people into doing the "right" thing (such as donating to charity, helping the poor, not causing harm to others, etc).

Getting rid of religion would not get rid of human malice, ignorance, egoism, or any of the other vices that religions tend to promote. These existed before religion and would exist without it. The fact is that religions were born from these. However, human vices can change or diminish with time and rationality, but religions keep those vices locked in place and even make them acceptable. That is what is so dangerous about religions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old fashioneds all around.

Deleted
    Dendrek,

Your post strikes me as rather bias :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Ban every single religion. Solve 99,9% of all problems in this world. Tadaaa!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I know it's only half the problems, but anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    Outlaw religion.

Do that and humanity is saved.
    What the hell kind of influence does religion have nowadays? I doubt getting rid of a few extremists would make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Envisionist View Post
    And then inform them that this is just your opinion.
    Theologically speaking, all Gods are one and the same, each religion just views it in a different way.

I was going to give this some real thought but after reading this thread I'm going to join the "kill everyone" crowd despite originally being part of the "save it from what?" crowd.
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2012-02-08 at 12:41 PM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    What the hell kind of influence does religion have nowadays? I doubt getting rid of a few extremists would make a difference.
    Spend a couple weeks in America, particularly in the South or watching FOX news and/or Republican speeches.