Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Russian lawmakers don't give a crap about opinion of their own people, much less of some "international community".
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Here's the thing, for me. What information the people of a nation can access directly influences their ability to form objective opinions. If I wanted to study a particular religion, or a particular lifestyle, there's nothing stopping me... so I have the ability to form impartial opinions. That doesn't mean I'm always successful, but at least such failings are on me, or the sources I choose.

If the government were to ban any book/article/etc speaking on homosexuality, it's not hard to imagine they'll start censoring websites with such content. Once that happens, it becomes much more difficult for people in the country to form objective opinions... and casts homosexuals in a more negative light, because any information explaining what they are has been suppressed. Ignorance too often leads to fear and hate.... so completely censoring any topic is a poor idea.

And this can't be just about keeping the information away from children. There are plenty of regulations that could be put in place to make sure that doesn't happen, particularly since the law in question is referring to physical media and physical/oral presentations. In fact, it's hard to see this as anything other than attempt by the Russian government to promote violence and intolerance, since it is well known that such things are the natural outgrowth of ignorance and they are actively attempting to create ignorance.

Silly Russians... Next thing we know they will start tracing typewrighters...

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    In fact, it's hard to see this as anything other than attempt by the Russian government to promote violence and intolerance, since it is well known that such things are the natural outgrowth of ignorance and they are actively attempting to create ignorance.
    Attempt? They were doing it successfully for the past 10 years. This is just another step in growing Russian hate-mongering and xenophobia. Their government is ready to go all the way to divert people's attention from itself. Everyone is a scapegoat - Americans subvert their youth, people from Caucasus rape their women and steal their jobs, Jews control banks, gays control art... Everyone is a villain, except the great Tzar Vladimir.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

I know different countries have different rules/cultural norms/etc., but people just need to stop. I truly don't understand what the obsession over a persons sexual orientation is. They're probably doing more harm to those that they want to "protect" by making such a big damn deal about it. Just accept one another and move on with your lives. Turn it around, you're heterosexual, people tell you that what you are doing is a sin, it's unnatural, you don't deserve the right to be married, you have no right to love your wife/husband because it's wrong and disgusting, you can't share your life experiences with others. Seems a little wrong doesn't it?

This proposal will ultimately say that homosexuals are the bottom rung of society. When it's ok for a serial killer to write books detailing their escapades, but a homosexual can't there is something severely wrong (ex. Ian Brady - The Gates of Janus, murder and sometimes sexual assault of 5 children)

As for the "Gays can't raise kids, they'll break em!"

Averett, P., Nalavany, B., & Ryan, S. (2009). An evaluation of gay/lesbian and heterosexual adoption. Adoption Quarterly, 12(3-4), 129-151. doi: 10.1080/10926750903313278

Patterson, C. (2009). Children of lesbian and gay parents: Psychology, law, and policy. American Psychologist, 64(8), 727-736. doi: 10.1037/0003-066X.64.8.727

More than 25 years of research on the offspring of nonheterosexual parents has yielded results of remarkable clarity. Regardless of whether researchers have studied the offspring of divorced lesbian and gay parents or those born to lesbian or gay parents, their findings have been similar. Regardless of whether researchers have studied children or adolescents, they have reported similar results. Regardless of whether investigators have examined sexual identity, self-esteem, adjustment, or qualities of social relationships, the results have been remarkably consistent. In study after study, the offspring of lesbian and gay parents have been found to be at least as well adjusted overall as those of other parents.
    Those were two that I found quick because I don't want to spend all day finding sources for people that ultimately won't look at them and don't care about reality and hold on to their personal opinions like a life raft be them right or wrong.
    Last edited by evoco; 2012-02-08 at 07:38 PM. Reason: forgot page numbers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palidan View Post
    Brb, moving to St. Peterburg
    Petersburg*

Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Studies, source, anything, please?
    Probably the compendium of unsustainable reactionary opinion? It's the platform upon which Putin is trying to seek re-election. Thankfully around 12 million voters have abandoned him.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    So not agreeing with you means trolling? Well, maybe I was a bit vague. A child needs a mom and a dad is what I meant by having two parents. With gay couples, they only get 2 dads or 2 moms and while they can be very nice people and love the child, they child will still lack either a male or female role model. I'm not saying this will absolutely ruin the child or mess them up psychologically but it is still bad and a disadvantage and the child has an increased chance of having psychological or identity issues later.

So if it is a biological child, they should remain with the parents, even if the real mom or dad is gone and they live with a same gender partner. It's still better than having no parents at all but adopting is completely optional and shouldn't be allowed in these cases.
    I've known some boys who don't know their dad that believed their mothers have more balls than other kids dads and turn out fine. I've also known girls who don't have mothers still turn out to be damn good women today without their mom around.

I've also known kids who had both a mom and dad, and they turned out to be little shits. Your point?

It doesn't matter if there is a mom and a dad, or 2 moms or 2 dads, if they are capable of raising kids, they should be given the right to.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, according to the poster named "ita" I must be a total fucked up mess;
    1. My Dad wasn't present in my life growing up, thus not having "2 parents to properly raise me, a man & a woman", btw, hmm, I wonder just how many gays were conceived by, born to & raised by a heterosexual couple equaling a man & a woman? I'll let you figure that out all by yourself.

2. I am unable to "get pregnant by having sex" no matter how many times I do it, so therefore I shouldn't be able to raise a child, even by adoption, etc etc.

You claim to "not be bothered or upset by gays", but just "disgusted by their showing off & parades & shouting about being gay in the ears of everyone in the street".

Are you equally as "bothered" by other minorities that have paraded & asked for their fair shake at life?

Black people in America, who were treated as lesser human beings for far too long who spoke out, even sometimes with *ahem* parades, posters & chants for equality, The Suffragettes or Women's Suffrage Movement to fight & parade to be accepted as equals who could even *gasp* vote, You seem to forget so quickly, the Egypt riots as little as a few months ago for their freedoms & rights & many many others who have in the past & will in the future protest, parade, make posters & chant for their equally deserved rights as well.

It's a sad shame how many people forget or chose to ignore all the history of the people who are mistreated, misunderstood & marginalized even in 2012.
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2012-02-08 at 08:28 PM. Reason: happy loving info for You <3 ALSO, HI DACIEN! thnx for"such a topic deserves discussion,not censorship" *waves happily*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Anyway, I agree with another poster that it's up to a country to decide their stance on gays. If they're not a democracy and want a gay-free society, that's up to them.
    It goes against human rights according to the parameters agreed upon by the Russians themselves.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Why would I be trolling?

They shouldn't be able get married. They should be able to register it as a partnership or under some other name though, with same rights as married couple with the exception of being able to adopt children.

And no, what you say is completely different. Being gay is a disorder and while the people who have it have no choice in the matter and shouldn't be treated differently, this parading has to stop. Besides, when was the last time you saw a straight parade?
    So you're saying being gay is the same as necrophillia essentially since that's classified as a disorder, you honestly think this law won't lead to bigger darker laws?

Sad, but not surprising, really - homosexuality is a rather negative topic in Russia. One of the insults for homosexual people, the equivalent of fa**ot, is actually a shortened slang form of 'paederast' - a fairly clear display of the general ranking of homosexuality on the 'social acceptance' totem pole.

Next up: you can't write negative books about The Great Leader.

Do some of you not understand what a democracy actually is? Just because you're in the majority doesn't mean you get to sweep a minority under the rug and not allow it to be discussed. That's not democracy and don't fool yourself into thinking it is.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post
    I laughed at your ignorance
    If you want to be technical, it's either a disorder (or at the very least an abnormality) or a choice. Most people disagree that it's a choice.

"Disorder" is not a bad thing, it's just something you're born with the isn't "normal."

If being gay were normal, then our species would die out.

That said, I think the law they're trying to pass is awful. Attacks on free speech are terrible.
    Last edited by Jasyn; 2012-02-08 at 09:22 PM.

For all the anti-gay crowd out there. Substitute the homosexual community for literally any other community.

"Black couples shouldn't get married because they can't raise kids like a proper family." "Atheism is a choice, a sin, and therefore atheist should not be able to be married or express their opinion in public." "White people are an abomination." "Catholics want to shove their views down my throats and will negatively influence my children because they are bad people." "Men can't raise children properly."

Do these statements alarm you? Do they make you uncomfortable? Because they should and this is the EXACT same thing when you spout your bigoted anti-homosexual views. How DARE you think yourself superior to somebody else because of their sexuality. Sexuality has nothing to do with anything other than who you find attractive. ANd how dare you decide what is right and wrong, doesn't your precious bible tell you that he who is without sin shall cast the first stone? Doesn't it also say that a marriage is void is the woman is not a virgin? How about where it says a rapist must marry the woman he raped because she has lost all value? How about where it says to LOVE neighbor. Your hateful statements sure don't seem like love to me. Why is it that homosexuality is still considered an abomination by you, but countless other things the bible condemns are not important?

Face it, you anti-gay marriage people are homophobes and the modern day equivalent to the people that opposed black people and women having the same rights as everybody else. History will look back on you with great shame.

Also, why should gay marriage be allowed? Oh I dunno, maybe the constitution has something to say about this. Specifically the 14th amendment:

"Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I find it absolutely hysterical that conservatives are the only people in America that think gay marriage should be banned, and at the exact same time go on and on and on and on about how "liberals are constantly stepping all over the constitution".

If you think marriage isn't a right in the United States then I guess you would agree with a law prohibiting Christians from getting married. After all it's only a privilege, not a right and a state should have the right to revoke people's privileges.

15+ Year Old Account
    We've had enough borderline sexuality threads on this forum recently. Remember, sexuality and gender are forbidden topics here.