Just hit 50 - looking for suggestions (tank)

Hi all, let me give you guys some context, I started playing SWTOR a little after release and after playing semi casually I've finally hit level 50 on my Sith Jugg. Prior to playing SWTOR I've played WoW for 6 years, and raided all of BC/WOTLK/CATA content excluding sunwell and anything released after firelands because that's when I quit. The above is just to let you guys know that I know the fundamentals of a tank seeing as I raided as a prot pally.

Anyway, now for my questions, etc.

I haven't actually done a flashpoint yet, I've mainly been questing / pvping my way to 50. I've noticed some things that may make it difficult to tank and would like your suggestions on how you get around it. When I tanked in boss fights I always had my focus frame on a player, or the boss, and I always used target of target. Seeing as these aren't implemented in the game, as gameframes, how do you get around it?

Also, I haven't been able to find ANY information regarding this, Is the way defense works like, old wow or new wow? By that I mean, you need to get 560+ defense or you're just automatically uncrittable.

Thanks!

P.S if anyone has any suggestions to which FP's i should run to get my skill up, I'd be appreciative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apaz View Post
    Also, I haven't been able to find ANY information regarding this, Is the way defense works like, old wow or new wow? By that I mean, you need to get 560+ defense or you're just automatically uncrittable.
    http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...-To-The-Galaxy

Anything and everything you need to know about tanking mechanics.

You're crittable as much as anything from what I've seen as a healer, it just doesn't matter as much. Part of dealing with stuff. As for target of target, its in the game. Its hiding, but its there. Just not a "viewable" target of target, instead you hit a couple buttons and it changes your target to your targets target. Outside of that, focus is in the game to. Its also hidden.

Although, really, as a tank you shouldn't be focusing on your party anyway. Might wanna keep an eye on your targets to make sure they're still attacking you and not the healer. Yeah, as a healer, I pick up aggro on anything you don't have aggro on. It sucks.

Pick up the biggest target in a group, hold aggro on it/them. Dps burns the small stuff, healer keeps people alive. Simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    Pick up the biggest target in a group, hold aggro on it/them. Dps burns the small stuff, healer keeps people alive. Simple.
    To add on this, cc as many targets as possible before the fight, it's often needed. If not possible, los pulling has made it easier to deal with otherwise tough groups a lot of the times.

Also, never forget about knockbacks if you have "holes" nearby, in the false emperor for example me and my friends always make sure to knock as many of them as possible down whenever possible.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-02-08 at 10:53 AM.

Deleted
    As Chaozu wrote above, if you've played Wow in vanilla and BC, the tanking in SWTOR is very similar to that period:
    - use CC's
    - use line of sight
    - communicate with your team what the target is and where the pull will happen

That's what I like about SWTOR.

Black Talon is by far the simplest hardmode flashpoint. The only pull with a dangerous number of strong/elite mobs is the very first one, especially since it starts immediately after a dialogue so the healer might be slow to get in the game and no one will cc.

If you stop often before packs to discuss cc, expect to be yelled at and expect the DPS to go ahead and pull. At least on my server most groups are very aggressive and the tank is not needed for most pulls even on hardmode so you have to rush ahead and chain pull or someone else does it for you. Most dungeons have only a few pulls where it makes sense to bother with cc. Be careful with packs that have multiple "Strong" labeled mobs as most non-tanks assume that only the "Elite" mobs are a threat worth ccing but strong mobs hurt hard and with average DPS they do not die very fast when there are several up.

A *lot* of trash is skippable. If you haven't done it before, ask at the start of the run if someone can show you the tricks to skip trash. Though, killing most of the trash is usually required for access to an optional boss so you may want to ask what the group wants to do... but usually everyone is after the drops off the last boss only.

Continue your levling until you hit level 85 ofc...

I got nines in the bedroom, glocks in the kitchen.
    A shotty by the shower if you wanna shoot me while I'm shittin.

Quote Originally Posted by Omarii View Post
    Continue your levling until you hit level 85 ofc...

That was hilarious. You are really funny.