Deleted

Fast Travel in GW2

In Guild Wars one could travel fast, between cities and expansions, with a couple clicks, he was teleported instantly to the place of his choosing.
    In Guild Wars 2, does the same method of traveling apply? Since exploring areas are not instanced like Guild Wars, does that mean that this convenient method of traveling is in any way endangered? I would hate to have any other way of traveling around an insanely huge world, especially with the lack of mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    In Guild Wars one could travel fast, between cities and expansions, with a couple clicks, he was teleported instantly to the place of his choosing.
    In Guild Wars 2, does the same method of traveling apply? Since exploring areas are not instanced like Guild Wars, does that mean that this convenient method of traveling is in any way endangered? I would hate to have any other way of traveling around an insanely huge world, especially with the lack of mounts.
    If you read the mass info sticky on this forum, You'd know we have way points, instant ports with a small fee.

Deleted
    Yes I am aware of the "Way-Points" but those way-points in my mind are like portals, one linked to another, it doesn't say if there are connections between those points or they serve as multi-travel portals.

Those points could very well be limited traveling between a couple or regions.
    I will take a closer second read on the mass info sticky, though. ^^

And there's a fee. Why
    I hope at least it'll be cheap a-la wow, not like 1p or more for just a travel

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've played skyrim, they're slated to work like the fast travel system there.

Asura Gates are a little different and connect the cities. They also don't have to be discovered to be used.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I remember reading somwhere that it was cheap..and that if you didn't have money it would just transport you to the main zone waypoint. Between major cities you have asura gates.
    We don't know yet how extensive the way point system is...but I do remember seeing people discovering them om various videos. I think they'll be quite similar to Rift.

Deleted
    So there are two different types of traveling, Asura Gates between Cities, and Way-Points to travel inside a region?

(Haven't played Skyrim)

10+ Year Old Account
    So there are two different types of traveling, Asura Gates between Cities, and Way-Points to travel inside a region?

(Haven't played Skyrim)
    Yes.

You don't have to find the asura gates to use them to travel between cities.

You have to find waypoints to use them and they don't (seem to) have pathing restrictions like flight points.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    If you read the mass info sticky on this forum, You'd know we have way points, instant ports with a small fee.
    Reminds me of 'Lineage 2' which had these NPCs which could port you to several locations nearby for a small fee and the rest of traveling/exploring had to be done on foot, was perfect in my eyes. So I am pleased to see GW2 will use a similar sort of system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ormeia View Post
    Reminds me of 'Lineage 2' which had these NPCs which could port you to several locations nearby for a small fee and the rest of traveling/exploring had to be done on foot, was perfect in my eyes. So I am pleased to see GW2 will use a similar sort of system.
    Well, the difference is that you can port anytime as long as you are not in combat. The further you travel the more it will cost and naturally you will first need to discover the port point to use it. Also, it is possible that a nearby DE could capture the port point, thereby making it unusable until recaptured.

(Haven't played Skyrim)
    Oblivion? Fallout 3? New Vegas?
    Anyways, in those games it's basically hit M to open your map, click where you want to go regardless of where you are (unless you're underground or in a building, just so you can't insta-port out of dungeons), then you're there.
    To my understanding, the GW2 waypoints are meant to be like that, but with a fee every time you use them (just to discourage you from constantly porting everywhere and only using it when you actually want to quickly go from point A to point B, to encourage exploration)

I believe the travel system is more like Rift's and less like flight paths, OP.

Once you click a map location, you simply go.

Deleted
    I really hope there won't be as many checkpoints for flight paths (or whatever they decide to make the main way of travelling) as in WoW. Nowadays you can't even see the map in WoW after you open the flight master window because it's littered with checkpoints.

While travelling on the other hand might be very boring it also helps to create the feeling of a huge world that's just waiting to get explored. Atleast travelling on land mounts does. I really am not a big fan of flying from one place to another in MMOs. Seeing the world from bird's eye view makes it feel smaller and it really breaks the immersion when you can see the borders of two zones from above; one zone might be completely orange and the one next to it completely blue without any fade out between them.

It would be really cool to get caravans or something like that as the main traveling system in GW2. Say every 7 minutes or so a caravan leaves from town to another and they're willing to give you a ride for a small fee. This would remove the birds-eye-view-problem and would also be pretty realistic in a fantasy setting. You could easily paint them differently as well to get some sort of variety (some sort of shipments need delivering, traders moving to town for some sales etc.)

Deleted
    You fast travel by using waypoints on your map, from what I know these also double up as graveyards.

Here's a picture with some waypoint locations (I circled a couple but there are many more if you look) to give you the general idea of distances, the city is of course Divinity's Reach:

I think you can travel to them from any location so you don't have to be at one waypoint to travel to another, just open your map and click.
    Last edited by mmocad4cdebfc1; 2012-02-08 at 09:24 PM.

Deleted
    Some waypoint action here:

Hope the link works, otherwise go to 3:42 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83_Ei...ailpage#t=222s
    Note: you must use a waypoint after you die in the downed state, but you can do this any other time too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    If you've played skyrim, they're slated to work like the fast travel system there.

Asura Gates are a little different and connect the cities. They also don't have to be discovered to be used.
    well you have to walk through them so you kinda have to :|
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    well you have to walk through them so you kinda have to :|
    You walk through Asura Gate A to get to Asura Gate B, C, and D.
    Asura Gate A is in your main city. Sure you have to 'discover' the first one, but I'm pretty sure you know what he meant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You walk through Asura Gate A to get to Asura Gate B, C, and D.
    Asura Gate A is in your main city. Sure you have to 'discover' the first one, but I'm pretty sure you know what he meant.
    *twirls mustache*
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass