Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Battle 2.0, Diablo 3's fatal Flaw. No chat will kill community

As many are aware b.net 2.0 will not have chat channels Private or Public at release. It took blizzard almost 1 year to impliment a bare bones private chat system for SC2.

Blizzard has been leading the community on to expect chat channels for release ( a feature that shouldnt even require a community to express the need for regardless)

Observe the follow Q&A with Jay Wilson Answering a question on chat channels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pQkdn0eVw

Fast forward to 05:00 min in for the question/answer.

Fan site summit and misleading info, observe the following pic from the fansite summet for d3

http://www.gamingsur...-battle-net.jpg

Notice something? Yah, chat lobby. What do we have now? wow style chat that allows you to communicate only with 3 others in game. No private OR public chat.

Community will suffer in the long run

This needs to be the focus of debate for the community imo. What is the point of obtaining awesome gear or earning incredable achieves if no one can see your accomplishments without effort. Are we going to be limited to a "search" functionality to see someones hard earned gear? NO, right now we are limited to seeing the accomplishments of others on your friends lists or people you join a game with. Not very epic.

I have never felt so alone in an online game like I do in D3, thats not the entire truth, SC2 gave me the same feeling before fan outcry brought in chat channels. Right now there is no community in the beta , users join a game, barely say anything and rush to the next boss. I feel like I have been turned into a farmer for blizzards RMAH since blizzard sees communication as evil and is forcing me to do the following,

Log in ---> Join game ---> item find ---> leave game ---> post item ---> rinse repeat.

I dont see any communication or any point to the whole magic find grind without a community. Why use that epic Windforce bow you found if no one is even going to know you have it? Diablo 2 chat interface was superior for showing off epic characters.

Censorship is wrong, let the community decide how they want to play the game

All I ever hear from blizzard is Chat channels encourage bots and spammers, well the game is rated mature. People can decide if they want to be isolated from ad's, or you can maybe, I dont know... moderate?

No one is forcing people to join public channels and no one is forcing you to use a private channel, but people are social by nature and without a way to communicate to mass groups of people, this game will become nothing like the game it should/could have been, and the community will not grow without the use of OUTSIDE websites. This going against Blizzard's so called "positive gaming experience."

You can be happy with Battle.net 2.0 the way it is, or you can voice your opinions/concerns BEFORE the game is shipped. Do you want an online single player game or an online MULTIPLAYER game?

The ball is in your court, express your concerns and make them known.

/wave
    Last edited by ManOluck; 2012-02-08 at 02:41 PM.

Deleted
    Do you want an online single player game or an online MULTIPLAYER game?
    Online single player game, i'll do some co-op but that will be only with friends and i have chat for that or most probably ventrilo to communicate.
    Diablo isn't really an MMO you know...

Pretty much what Krafmon said. I'll play this by myself, maybe with my wife, definitely with my brothers, and probably with a few friends. I'll probably have 1 toon for each "group" I play with, but that's about all I expect to do with it.

Public chat would be annoying for me, most of the time. I'd probably like it when playing solo, but not when I'm playing with my brothers or friends.

That being said, I have no idea why they don't just stick it in there and have some toggles and options so that people have the choice. I'm sort of a "libertarian" gamer in that I think, for the most part, more choice is better.

On one hand, I do want more public chat channels. When they work, it is a great way to communicate with people.

On the other hand, the chat channels in D2 quickly devolved to rotating spam bots flinging through each channel like zombies. I got by without them.

Deleted
    I want to be able to communicate with other people on the battle.net network - I want to be able to see who's online on my Realid list and send them a message whether they're on WoW or Starcraft etc, so I don't have to be in the same game to communicate with my friends and can send someone a message "hey I'm on D3, wanna play a game?" without having to log to WoW.

Then, I want to communicate once i'm in a game, with the people I'm playing with.

That's it for me, I do not want any other communication features personally.

An in-game voice communication service would be a BIG plus for me, but knowing how badly the wow voice chat failed, I doubt that's even something they're considering.

face it... the new blizzard devs aka WoW devs are ruining the diablo franchise. it's going to be terrible and we all know it, diablo 2 was good and diablo 3 will not even compare to it.

Deleted
    I feel you guys, I want chat channels too. But there are some serious issues with them aswell. They will eventually turn out to be *trade chat* which is useless becasuse of AH/RMAH. This will be just bad design. I'm pretty sure if they could solve the problem they would. Not a real gamebreaker for me, from my PoV they improved a alot on the features from the previous game and thats good.

Quote Originally Posted by StixRam View Post
    face it... the new blizzard devs aka WoW devs are ruining the diablo franchise. it's going to be terrible and we all know it, diablo 2 was good and diablo 3 will not even compare to it.
    Please, just stop it. They are two separate teams, completely separate! WoW is the most successful video game of all time. Even if it was the same developers, it wouldn't ruin the game.

Diablo 3 will be great. Quit living in a world of nostalgia.

What community?
    Diablo 2 was all spammers and trade bots in the public channels.
    I am personally gonna play D3 with friends/family or alone, without the need for public channels for anything. I'm totally behind their decisions so far.
    D3 is looking better than D2 ever was to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I want to be able to communicate with other people on the battle.net network - I want to be able to see who's online on my Realid list and send them a message whether they're on WoW or Starcraft etc, so I don't have to be in the same game to communicate with my friends and can send someone a message "hey I'm on D3, wanna play a game?" without having to log to WoW.

Then, I want to communicate once i'm in a game, with the people I'm playing with.

An in-game voice communication service would be a BIG plus for me, but knowing how badly the wow voice chat failed, I doubt that's even something they're considering.
    This is about all I can equally express. And in today's postings from Bashiok (link to them on front page), they stated there will not be a built-in voice chat, so you can scratch that off the list.

The only reason D3 is tied to bnet is so you can't pirate it. The actual online gameplay is merely an after thought.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    This is about all I can equally express. And in today's postings from Bashiok (link to them on front page), they stated there will not be a built-in voice chat, so you can scratch that off the list.
    I'm sad, but not suprised. Ventrilo it is!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoogH View Post
    Please, just stop it. They are two separate teams, completely separate! WoW is the most successful video game of all time. Even if it was the same developers, it wouldn't ruin the game.

Diablo 3 will be great. Quit living in a world of nostalgia.
    Actually, depends what you mean by "successful." Technically Modern Warfare franchise beats out WoW expacs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Actually, depends what you mean by "successful." Technically Modern Warfare franchise beats out WoW expacs.
    If the original modern warfare graphics and game engine were used each time then I highly doubt it would be successful. One of the reasons it is successful is because they can upgrade the graphics and the engine of the game a lot easier then updating the graphics/game engine of WoW.

How do you even figure that MW is more successful than WoW? Last time time I checked the MW series hasn't sold 12m+ copies of the base game and 3 expansions. (And obviously, the sales are much higher because the number of subscribers flucuates, new players start, etc.)
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post

This is well said.

Community in a dungeon crawler? Diablo is not an MMO or knitting circle.

Did anybody actually sit in the Diablo 2 chatrooms? They were a mess. I didn't call them "community" thats for sure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRayken View Post
    Did anybody actually sit in the Diablo 2 chatrooms? They were a mess. I didn't call them "community" thats for sure.
    I did. I just feel like they need to redo battle.net 2.0 so its like a improved battle.net not something different altogether. How hard can it be to add chat rooms? On battle.net you could chat with people from all 3 games, on 2.0 its all separated with no sense of community. If im on diablo 3 i should be able to go to my clans chat channel and talk with people playing starcraft 2 etc.

Not every chatroom is a spamfest

If i wanted to log into d2 today, I would join chat, immediately change to a private channel where I would expect my friends to be, then immediately get sniped by10 item sellers from that 2 seconds I was in public chat. That obviously needs to be fixed, but maybe 10 years ago when the game came out, the chat channels were pretty entertaining and a good way to find public games.

All it takes is a bit of moderation and rules. There were private channels that did just that and were great places to hang out. I can't imagine playing this game without chat rooms. That was part of the experience. When I first opened starcraft 2 beta, the first thing I wanted was to join a chat room. I still cant believe how much they fucked that up.

Please give us chat rooms blz.

Deleted
    Well, a bit of a turnaround, it's now confirmed that public chat channels WILL be in, and are going to be in the next beta patch.

I won't be using them myself, but good news for the people who wanted them, as long as they're entirely optional and I'm not forced to listen to some trade spam