Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Tried it for a while and pretty much wish I could get my money back.

It's massivly overhyped, the graphics are "meh" at max, the UI is a abomination.
    Loading screens take forever (even with a SSD) and it's really laggy (most likely due to a shit engine).
    The profession stuff is nothing new (hell - it's DULL to not have to work for it), the worlds are small and boring.

Only good thing about it is the voice-overs, even tho they are pretty low quality.
    Story is pretty dull if you actually read any books.

inb4 "omg u hater" - I stopped playing WoW also, it's just my fair opinion on this game that would have been "good" if it was released 4 years ago.
    They had a HUGE budget and years of creating a game - they screwed up, big time.

Happy some people like it but make a char on a friends account first to see if you like it.

[edit]
    Worst part is whenever someone is "negative" about the game, fanboys start flaming, calling it lies, etc.
    In regards to your load screen time, I have an SSD and it takes less time than WoW Load screens (also on my SSD). Maybe its your setup? I have never seen this 'laggy' complaint. I agree the UI is crap, but they are working on it and addons are coming (I expect to see macros by May's 1.3 and addons by July's 1.4). Professions are professions and there is not a lot of ways to do them differently. The fact you CAN send your crew out to gather for you you while you do other things is pretty damn awesome in my opinion.

As far as the voice acting, the only complaint I have is they skimped on the alien languages (cant really blame them, though). Other than that, I like the voices (IA male is the most awesome voice/class match up ever). As far as the story being dull, so far I found the class stories to be sweeping and epic. I haven't played them all yet, but I will eventually. And I HAVE read most of the books. Heck, I probably read more in a week than you do in a month... (I know that last line is trolling but so is the posters implied insult about reading)

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post

Surely you are not expecting a newly released MMO to compete in endgame content with MMOs that have been running for more than a year. Besides SW:TOR was released with more endgame content than vanilla WoW. Apparantly if that is not enough, then okay I understand that. Furthermore BioWare is releasing content patches almost bi-monthly. Don't think WoW can compete with that.

As to the whole SW:TOR endgame. You either like it or you don't. I like it. Fights are amusing. Flashpoints are awesome. Yes it uses a model somewhat similar to WoW.
    oh but apparently people are, lol. even though wow is based off warcraft, a game that was released in 1994 (meaning they spent 10 years just building the storyline for wow, and another 5 developing it for release), yet how could this brand new game not compete fully? i just dont get it, rofl /sarcasm

you cant expect a game thats had damn near 20 years to be developed and ripened, to not "have way more stuff in it!", its an asinine idea, of course it does and of course its polished. this is biowares first shot at an mmo, and its not as easy of a task as some of you may think. they are going in the right direction, just give them some time to further develop the game.

I find it humorous that so many people have claimed to 'quit the game and gone back to WoW' and yet they pop up and complain on every star wars thread... of course I shouldn't be surprised, the same kind of thing happens on WoW threads as well. You think that people would just learn to move on if they don't like something or quit doing something supposedly...

Am subbed for 3 months, will see how GW2 will run or not on my PC then probably upgrade it to play it >.<

It looks like the kind of mmo I've been wanting since I decided I hate raiding nowadays.

Swtor had some dodgy bugs at the start but most have been fixed now thankfully. Its just a shame the codex has been completely ignored since release however, to the point where I dont think I've seen one Developer comment on the status of it since release

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    .....it's just my fair opinion on this game that would have been "good" if it was released 4 years ago.
    They had a HUGE budget and years of creating a game - they screwed up, big time.
    aka i have no f***ing clue what im talking about, so ill just pull this assumption out of my rear and put it out there! lol

you dont know anything about game development, so please, dont make asinine statements like this, it completely invalidates your opinion of being taken seriously. blizzard's sole cash cow for the past near decade has been wow, they're in the business of mmo's, thats all they do, this is biowares first shot at an mmo, so yes, of course its not going to be as polished as a company thats sole maker of prolly 90-95% of their money is an mmo, you gotta take into consideration that bioware isnt an mmo company, and that for a first shot, this game is actually pretty amazing. and has tons of space to improve, much like wow did in its infancy.

Bioware have always focused more on RPG than anything else, this is their first MMO like rigoremortis said.

I'm excited about the future as I truly feel now like my jedi knight (sentinel) is a new chapter from me playing kotor. I actually understand why Revan isn't that emphasized now.

Quote Originally Posted by vault View Post
    Ok, so it's a standard EQ clone then, if that makes you feel better...

No need to get so defensive. I never said I expected anything from TOR. I only said what the game is and what it isn't.
    Not getting defensive and you absolutely stated that it did not bring the innovation you were looking for. That means you were expecting innovation outside of voice acting and story, none of which was promised. If you were not looking for innovation then why bring it up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    In regards to your load screen time, I have an SSD and it takes less time than WoW Load screens (also on my SSD). Maybe its your setup? I have never seen this 'laggy' complaint. I agree the UI is crap, but they are working on it and addons are coming (I expect to see macros by May's 1.3 and addons by July's 1.4). Professions are professions and there is not a lot of ways to do them differently. The fact you CAN send your crew out to gather for you you while you do other things is pretty damn awesome in my opinion.

As far as the voice acting, the only complaint I have is they skimped on the alien languages (cant really blame them, though). Other than that, I like the voices (IA male is the most awesome voice/class match up ever). As far as the story being dull, so far I found the class stories to be sweeping and epic. I haven't played them all yet, but I will eventually. And I HAVE read most of the books. Heck, I probably read more in a week than you do in a month... (I know that last line is trolling but so is the posters implied insult about reading)
    Actually even with my SSD, WoW loads a lot faster. SWTOR planets do have pretty attrocious loading times. Compare getting off your ship at any planet (Hoth, for example) - I timed it to 42 seconds.

If you pop down to the portal to Outlands, it took 5 seconds. literally. Portal in Orgrimmar to Hyjal? 7 seconds.

It doesn't bother me though. I've quit WoW for SWTOR simply for a change of scenery. I loved WoW, still do, but after 7 years playing the same game (And not having had time to truely enjoy Cata), I've been enjoying SWTOR simply for the RPG focus and voice acting.

Not only this but a lot of people complaining seem to forget the content WoW did and didn't have on release. UBRS, LBRS, MC at release, AQ at 1.9, BWL 1.6, Naxx 1.11? I checked this on wowwiki btw to confirm.

I didn't check this as I've closed the tab but if memory serves, even Mara and DM were patched in?

Wow had its own range of bugs too. Couldn't you spellsteal a flying mount from someone with mages?
    Last edited by mmoc620343bcaf; 2012-02-10 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    WoW would be a lot better if anti-social scumbags, botters and bug abusers got banned for life. It shows Bioware puts the quality of the community/game above briefly maximizing profits and that is a good thing.
    Right...that's why Bioware is perfectly fine with people botting in warzones to get to Battlemaster not doing a single attack in the games. It's a great system, where if you leave a warzone there's no penalty. So, you get scumbags who leave games if they're not winning in the first 2 minutes of the game. Not saying Blizzard doesn't have similar problems but at least they had some penalty to people who people who left battlegrounds and banned botters if it was excessive. We have some guys on our servers that leveled up from 10 to 50 in warzones, got battlemaster with 10k hp. It's awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    It's really sad and pathetic that there are SSSSOOOOO many people who are spreading lies to try to bring this game down.
    It's like they're afraid that if people enjoy a MMO that's not WoW, the world might end.
    Same exact thing happened to Rift. It really doesn't matter what it is, people are going to hate for no logical reason no matter what the topic is.

My guild is server first in pve content and were the top pvp guild as well. It's nearly impossible to get more than 10 of our 50 members on in a day unless we're raiding. Raiding is pretty much a joke, you can clear it all in 4 hours unless they broke something new or Soa finds new ways to screw our group week after week with poorly made encounters in Eternity Vault.

Bioware also made it if you do two to three operations/raids you'll have 0 reason to go back to heroic flashpoints since the gear will be worthless. Pvp system is bad, Ilum has new bugs every week it seems and was clearly meant for 100+ people with the zone being so massive but the server can't even handle that many so all you can get is 50/50 if you're lucky.

Granted this is their first MMORPG but since they copied so much from previous ones they might have tried to learn a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilan View Post
    Actually even with my SSD, WoW loads a lot faster. SWTOR planets do have pretty attrocious loading times. Compare getting off your ship at any planet (Hoth, for example) - I timed it to 42 seconds.

If you pop down to the portal to Outlands, it took 5 seconds. literally. Portal in Orgrimmar to Hyjal? 7 seconds.

It doesn't bother me though. I've quit WoW for SWTOR simply for a change of scenery. I loved WoW, still do, but after 7 years playing the same game (And not having had time to truely enjoy Cata), I've been enjoying SWTOR simply for the RPG focus and voice acting.

Not only this but a lot of people complaining seem to forget the content WoW did and didn't have on release. UBRS, LBRS, MC at release, AQ at 1.9, BWL 1.6, Naxx 1.11? I checked this on wowwiki btw to confirm.

I didn't check this as I've closed the tab but if memory serves, even Mara and DM were patched in?

Wow had its own range of bugs too. Couldn't you spellsteal a flying mount from someone with mages?
    In all honesty, it is probably my addons slowing down my WoW load times... I have a fully custom UI on WoW... not a single thing is stock.

This game is just awful. If you've ever played WoW you'll notice right away the lack of detail and effort put into the game. Bioware outsourced so many different parts of the project (art went to China, code to Russia and India, customer service to India) and it's very visible.

Just take a look at these videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Rrk6lgi24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_hqGsnpp8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdZn5v5sEU

Look at this one where they copy/paste the same exact NPC over 20 times in like a 40 foot radius.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIsdl4BL2Q

All the environments are completely linear, every 'planet' is a hallway. Mobs just stand or sit there lifelessly waiting for you to kill them. There are barely any critters and the few there are don't even move but just sit there painted into the landscape. There's no swimming, no sitting in chairs, no chat bubbles, barely any emotes, no combat log, raids are completely bugged and some bosses don't even drop loot, PvP is broken and wins in some warzones don't even count, the UI has ability delay where you can continuously press to use a spell and it doesn't respond at all, every race uses the same exact body and most of the same facial features, I mean the problems just go on and on...

Check the join dates of anyone praising this game, chances are they joined within the past 2 months, or they haven't spent much time in WoW. And their main excuse for SWTOR being that way is that it didn't have 7 years like WoW did, regardless of the fact that WoW had everything I listed above working on release. I regret falling for the hype and pre-ordering this garbage, definitely gonna wait on future titles from now on. I really wanted this game to be great as I was so sick of what Blizzard is doing to WoW, but SWTOR made me run back to Cataclysm with open arms, it is that bad.
    Last edited by Dreary; 2012-02-11 at 09:01 AM.

Deleted
    It all depends of your standards.

If you have low Standards and pretty meek, never complain, always get pushed about, Eat out of trash cans, and live in a skip then this game is for you..

If on the other hand you have high standards and expect something for your money, complain when the needed and don't except inferior product then this game isn't for you...

It was more enjoyable commuting to London for 1hr and 30 mins everyday then playing this game..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XaevnETL9U Travelling about
    This is Travelling between Zones/Planets, and you have to do this often, Sometime go away the back to one point get a quests then go back to where you started, its very dull and the world is just dead...NPC do nothing

But the game still could be saved IMO

Speeders feel like Milk floats they go so slow, make them 100% 200% and 300% speed

Make the worlds connect better, Remove the silly ports between them and refine the loading screens make its more seamless when you travel through zones

A pingable mini Map

Give life to the Worlds, add weather and day and night cycles, Give NPC things to say when you click on them, and add Critters loads of aliens Critter just roaming about, Alien Birds in the sky.

Add some water areas, rivers/lakes etc are as deep as you knees I haven't found anything deeper, add some swimming.

Make everything Clickable in chat EG click someone name will give their Class, level and area, have all Items, Quests. Crafting and Ability's everything Chat active so it can be linked in chat.

Remove the God-damn Chase cam, The Camera Will always spin back Behind you, which IMO is very consoley

And this is just for starters there's hundred more Basic MMO features missing from this Game..

You can post constructive criticism without starting off with an insult to other forum members. - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-02-11 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreary View Post
    And their main excuse for SWTOR being that way is that it didn't have 7 years like WoW did, regardless of the fact that WoW had everything I listed above working on release.
    There's just so much wrongness with pretty much a lot of your post, but this one stands out. WoW had so many problems when it was released, if people were so quick to flame it like they are swtor it would of never survived. Yeah, I joined MMO-champ late. Not because I didn't play WoW, not because I didn't read forums here, but because I would of had to pimp slap a lot of people in the majority of forums here. All I can say is, I finally caved and opened an account just to talk to people here about swtor, which is something I enjoy, much like I used to enjoy WoW. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but to flame and say that WoW had everything working at release is just counterproductive to your cause. If you don't like it, just don't recommend it to people.

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 01:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XaevnETL9U Travelling about
    This is Travelling between Zones/Planets, and you have to do this often, Sometime go away the back to one point get a quests then go back to where you started, its very dull and the world is just dead...NPC do nothing
    I do agree with some of your post, but honestly, how unboring do you expect traveling to be? You're traveling. Its not a thrill in other games either. Thats why there a flight points. So you can click and have the game travel for you. You ever play EVE? THERE'S some boring travel. And that game was awsome. You literally picked a quest or mission, traveled 30-45 minutes to get there (set auto pilot, get sandwich), spent 3 minutes doing what you need to, than had to travel 30-45 minutes back (set auto pilot, watch friends).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post

I do agree with some of your post, but honestly, how unboring do you expect traveling to be? You're traveling. Its not a thrill in other games either. Thats why there a flight points. So you can click and have the game travel for you. You ever play EVE? THERE'S some boring travel. And that game was awsome. You literally picked a quest or mission, traveled 30-45 minutes to get there (set auto pilot, get sandwich), spent 3 minutes doing what you need to, than had to travel 30-45 minutes back (set auto pilot, watch friends).
    I Agree also, But- say other MMO the travelling was auto to a point, so you start up the top in Eastern Kingdom and need to get to the bottom - it might take like 11 minutes via Flight path but it does it for you, Time to make a cuppa, roll of fag, browse some internet or take a shite,

But the travelling in this from zone to zone you have to take control each aspect of it. Click lift/door, Enter space port, enter docking bay, run to ship, click ship, hit space bar to skip cut scene, run to space map, click space map, find destination, click destination, exit ship, skip cut scene, run through hanger bay, click lift/door, run through drop ship bay, click drop ship. And this gets taxing after the 70th time- ~Needs removing- or optimizing some how

Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post
    But the travelling in this from zone to zone you have to take control each aspect of it. Click lift/door, Enter space port, enter docking bay, run to ship, click ship, hit space bar to skip cut scene, run to space map, click space map, find destination, click destination, exit ship, skip cut scene, run through hanger bay, click lift/door, run through drop ship bay, click drop ship. And this gets taxing after the 70th time- ~Needs removing- or optimizing some how
    Only for planet to planet, which takes all of 2 minutes, and you don't do that often. This is more akin to going from Kalimdor to Eastern Kindoms or Northrend than it is just traveling. Once your on the planet you have mounts, foot, a default walking speed increase out of combat, speeder points, instant travel to any "city" you have discovered on that planet and not just one place in the entire game, and over all, some of the planets are big, but never that big. You can cross pretty much any planet in about 5 minutes with a 110% mount. Overall, its not that bad. And, for an emergency, everyone has a instant travel to their fleet, like a built in mage portal to SW/Org for you. Granted, its an 18 cd, but I've never even needed it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    There's just so much wrongness with pretty much a lot of your post, but this one stands out. WoW had so many problems when it was released, if people were so quick to flame it like they are swtor it would of never survived. Yeah, I joined MMO-champ late. Not because I didn't play WoW, not because I didn't read forums here, but because I would of had to pimp slap a lot of people in the majority of forums here. All I can say is, I finally caved and opened an account just to talk to people here about swtor, which is something I enjoy, much like I used to enjoy WoW. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but to flame and say that WoW had everything working at release is just counterproductive to your cause. If you don't like it, just don't recommend it to people.[COLOR="red"]
    What is this "wrongness"? I never said WoW didn't have problems on release, because it's not relevant. And the fact that WoW did have problems, is that what you're using to excuse this game having even more problems 7 years later???

You didn't address a SINGLE issue I mentioned. Maybe you didn't see them:

All the environments are completely linear, every 'planet' is a hallway. Mobs just stand or sit there lifelessly waiting for you to kill them. There are barely any critters and the few there are don't even move but just sit there painted into the landscape. There's no swimming, no sitting in chairs, no chat bubbles, barely any emotes, no combat log, raids are completely bugged and some bosses don't even drop loot, PvP is broken and wins in some warzones don't even count, the UI has ability delay where you can continuously press to use a spell and it doesn't respond at all, every race uses the same exact body and most of the same facial features, I mean the problems just go on and on...
    WoW did not have these problems on release. WoW's worlds are infinitely more lively and overall superior to the videos I linked. And lastly you tell me to "just don't recommend it to people"... um... what do you think I'm doing in a thread where the guy is asking for recommendations... Seriously you had ZERO point in your post.