Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Microsoft has said that it won't be.

Even if they do/don't I'll use it anyway just for the performance boost.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

10+ Year Old Account
    This consumer preview basically sounds like a video i watched months and months ago... where a guy was crapping on about the new desktop, interface, touch screen abilities etc and so on... whats the diff?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very very sceptical about it if it's meant for PC's and not at all sure that I like what Windows 8 seems to be. They call it simple and user-friendly, I call it the complete opposite with no overview.

I don't really see any reason to get exited over this one from a PC point of view. I am fairly sure that 90% of people are just going to immediately turn the metro UI off, and apart from that it is pretty much functionally and graphically the same as 7.

I mean, nothing wrong with making it lighter and faster, but I don't think that justifies a day 1 purchase like getting 7 over vista did.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there's some great advances in the technology i'll be sticking with 7. Windows has had this up/down pattern with OS's for a bit now.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

eh.

The only reason I switched to 7 to begin was to take advantage of 64 bit / larger physical mem usage. I'll stay put until something absolutely demands a change.

PC's are all about the apps that run on it to me, not the OS itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Can't bring myself to be interested in Windows 8... looks like they're trying to put a tablet OS onto my PC. I'll stick with 7 unless I'm swayed otherwise.

PS: I know there's a 'traditional desktop mode' in it, but that means there'd be a TON of features that I really could not give a damn about in my OS, and that kind of fluff doesn't much hold my interest.
    Agreed. From what I've seen so far, the "one size fits all" approach to making an OS for mobile and desktop just seems to be a bad strategy. I don't want a hybrid OS. I want an OS that is specifically designed for the platform it's running on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    Honestly I have Vista, and I would gladly keep it over the weird look of that metro shit...my computers aren't fucking touchscreens, hell most monitors I'd wager aren't. If anything, it's tempting to go buy a copy of Windows 7 before they stop selling it or something so when I do eventually build or buy a computer, I have it ready...
    It's "just" a theme. I suspect we'll be telling a lot of people this over the next few months and beyond. Granted there might be other things you don't care for or things that get bundled with the tablet style UI, you can change it just like you can change themes in windows 7...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet Can't Wait for it.

Deleted
    For some reason I'm a bit sceptical about Win 8. Don't know why though. :/

Not really interested in the new Windows OS, not really sure why.

I'm quite happy with Windows 7 and unless this new OS is a real step up from Windows 7 which from what I've heard it's not then I don't think I will be purchasing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    /snip
    So are you saying we can't change to a theme with "regular" icons?

I tried the developer preview on a PC.. it sucks big time.. i think its made more for tablet users..

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried it 2day. Horrible for normal pc use.
    “We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.”
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz | CM Hyper 212 | Asus P8P67 M-Pro
    MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr 975

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by isowAkdeniz View Post
    I tried the developer preview on a PC.. it sucks big time.. i think its made more for tablet users..
    Did you read the topic at all?

---------- Post added 2012-02-09 at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lockmybllz View Post
    Tried it 2day. Horrible for normal pc use.
    Because? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd like to know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Did you read the topic at all?
    I chuckled.

Also, I like the people that praise Windows 7 over Vista. The changes for 8 from 7 are basically the same thing. The metro UI aside, which you won't be using anyhow, the changes made aren't all that much. 7 didn't do a lot that Vista didn't, aside from change the start menu.

Perception is everything I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    7 didn't do a lot that Vista didn't, aside from change the start menu.
    Yeah, 7 did nothing, except fix a lot of the problems with Vista.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Yep. 7 without service packs did what vista with 2 service packs did. 7 was shiny, but it was efficient shiny. Personally, i still prefer the classic theme. I've found Aero to be a hog on game FPS (since i run multiple screens, i like to be able to tab out to firefox on another screen without having to wait and so i run windowed mode in games). 7 also had native support for the Ribbon UI, and while it's marmite, it's really effective at cramming information into a sleek UI.
    Strangely the only problem I've experienced with Aero is that if I disable it for SWTOR it clears up my microstuttering. Other than that it works well. Haven't had any games really need any 'extra' boost from disabling it on anything else though, well maybe BF3, but I get a pretty steady 30-45fps at full settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one rumor that I have heard about W8 that would really make me interrested, is that ability to play 360 games on your PC. If they added this kind of support I would be on board, as I miss some of my favorite titles on the 360. Also, if they trim some more of the fat from the OS and make it use less rescources, then that would make it worth it for me. I still probably won't get the OS until I build my next desktop anyway.

Also, with the metro UI, I think we will see more laptops lose the touch pad and instead use touch screens. I think this will definitly improve laptops usability overall.

Improved kernel + framework, faster boot times, suspended applications, Windows Live unification, skydrive integration, multiple disk + large disk work, and some other things I must be missing. This isn't just a service pack, it's a new experience.

And whether we like it or not, the world is going increasingly mobile and this is Windows responding to that, and I think this is the perfect medium right now.
    I remember it all too well