Poll: Do you believe you were put on this earth for a reason to fulfill?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you believe you were put on this earth for a reason?

Do you believe there is something you need to fulfill in your short life time on earth? Perhaps, that you're an important figure? Is this a common human delusion, or am I really that special?

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, we're nothing more than another animal on this tiny planet.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 religious debate and then flame war.

I believe that we were put here for a reason, too many encounters that I should not have survived that I did somehow. Makes you wonder about things.

No, we are completely insignificant in every way possible.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything in life has a purpose, whether you see it or not doesn't matter though, so most people will tell you no.

And inb4 someone asks me then why do tragedies happen? Its because in order for good people to exist, examples need to be made to test their will.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

We are born of beings made of matter, living their puny lifetimes, scrambling about to get some sort of happiness out of life before they die.

We are the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Procreation. It's what keeps species going. Everything else is illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    Procreation. It's what keeps species going. Everything else is illusion.
    You are here to continue the species, everything else is a bonus, a perk. Everything you do should have importance to the only person that matters, yourself. Why bother inventing reasons or meaning to things that dont need any.

Short answer NO

im here cause my parents wanted some fun one night and didnt use protection

The world could end tommorrow and we would just be a blink in time in the scope of things

I've always seen that 'put on Earth for a reason' as a thing used by those wanting to make themselves feel better about a bad situation/time they're having or by those wanting to make themselves feel more important than they really are. It's akin to the whole 'I survived cancer/other bad disease thanks to *insert religion or deity here* instead of all the medical science'.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2012-02-09 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    You are here to continue the species, everything else is a bonus, a perk. Everything you do should have importance to the only person that matters, yourself. Why bother inventing reasons or meaning to things that dont need any.
    Well that is a quite selfish attitude.

We are all here for a reason.

Hehehehehe
    Nope.

No. People who do great things did those things because they chose to, not because they were programmed.

Put here for a reason? No. Reason is something you create.

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Short answer NO

im here cause my parents wanted some fun one night and didnt use protection

The world could end tommorrow and we would just be a blink in time in the scope of things
    That would be horrible if your parents think you are a "mistake." I am sure you are glad you can enjoy life, that you were
    created.

While I guess in the strict sense, if you stop me and force me to think about it, I am a fatalist, I don't believe in any form of intelligent design. The sad reality is that we wake up in a narrative that's 4.5 billion years old on a cooling, irradiated rock, spinning out of control in an empty void with no strings and no guiding lights. It takes us 20-50 years to get our bearings (some of us never do) and we scratch our heads, look around a little and die. But, with enough iteration (we're close to 7 billion concurrently now, right?), you get one or two people who do something interesting, or at least loud enough, that it polarizes and galvanizes the narrative, and the next generation wakes up in it, and slowly gets its bearings. And looking back on it all, on all the generations of silent voices who never got recorded, or who were drowned out by something else, I'd say if there was a reason for any of it, it's slim chance that it was heard or that we'd remember what it was, if it was ever stated.

Best to just make sense of yourself, while you can. It's the only way to truly know happiness. My two cents.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, another insignificant cog of the British work machine.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    And inb4 someone asks me then why do tragedies happen? Its because in order for good people to exist, examples need to be made to test their will.
    Sooooo, the only way to test the will of good people is by having their children die in a preventable house fire, or by having their mothers drown them in a bath tub?

I really really really really hope you are wrong.

OT: Whenever I get the this feeling, I go outside on a really dark night, stare up at the sky, and facepalm.

All evidence shows that we are a product of natural phenomenon driving evolution over billions of years. But i have been disturbed by the things people have seen in near death experiences, it's enough to make you wonder if there is something else out there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    Nope, another insignificant cog of the British work machine.
    So Churchill losing the Battle at Gallipoli was part of the Imperial plan eh? Wonder how that worked out

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Sooooo, the only way to test the will of good people is by having their children die in a preventable house fire, or by having their mothers drown them in a bath tub?

I really really really really hope you are wrong.
    If you really need to have the answer elaborated, then nothing I will say will change your perception, so I am not going to bother responding to your remark. The meaning of my words are there, if you don't like it or cant understand it tough shit.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol