how can blacksmiths still not fix their own armor?

they can create legendary weapons and armor but they cant patch normal armor up like all the normal NPC blacksmiths? doesn't make sense. engineers can with jeeves but we should have a button like prospecting that takes an elementium bar for 1 item or something
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

because repair fees ar eone of the only goldsinks in this game

You're an crafter of legendary weapons and armor. You're above doing menial repair work.

I'm not a blacksmith, but I think that this makes sense. Use one of whatever kind of bar is current, fix armor *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Crafting armor is a plus at the beggining of an xpac, but in later patchs sucks really bad.
    You have to pray to the rng gods so you get epic patterns with extremele low drop rate so that you can be useful again.

So crafting armor imo is not a perk that last the whole expansion.
    You can still craft bad pvp sets to sell, and buckles, but thats for gold.

Wishlist:

> Portable Anvil with a 24hr cd or something
    > Being able to repair your own gear, or at least get a discount.
    Last edited by Antherios; 2012-02-10 at 10:49 PM.

The problem with being able to repair your armor for free is that then blacksmithing basically becomes the best raiding profession in the game. If all professions give the same amount of gold, why not take the one that will save you thousands and thousands of gold? Sure, there's professions that make money, but A) Not everyone want to make money. Some people prefer just to have enough to get by and saving money is much more important and B) You get two professions, so your second one can be one that earns you money.

Professions gets thing that save you little bits of money every once in awhile, alchemists get double duration flasks (though with cauldrons, that's more or less irrelevant), tailors and leatherworkers get cheaper leg enchants, inscription gets cheaper shoulder enchants, JC gets to make you lots and lots of money, and I forget what BS gets.
    ಠ_ಠ

It doesn't have to be for free. I wouldn't mind farming some ore to repair my gear though. That seems like a even trade to me. Maybe make it to where only plate and mail can be repaired. Maybe LW can repair leather/mail and tailors cloth. Even if the cost of the mats would be around the same as going through a vendor it still wouldn't really matter. It's just something that makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a very nice idea, but there are other inconsistencies in other professions too: as someone has mentioned, tailors can't repair cloth, bandages don't stop bleeding. I'm sure there are probably more.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoticehunter View Post
    Professions gets thing that save you little bits of money every once in awhile, alchemists get double duration flasks (though with cauldrons, that's more or less irrelevant), tailors and leatherworkers get cheaper leg enchants, inscription gets cheaper shoulder enchants, JC gets to make you lots and lots of money, and I forget what BS gets.
    Belt buckle.

OT: As other has pointed out, imagine if everyone repaired for free, everyone would swim in gold.

Go to your Achievement Tab -> Statistics -> Gold spent on repairs.

Then you will see why it's a bad thing to have one profession able to repair for free. (For free != guild bank repair, as that's still gold being spent on repairs.)
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

10+ Year Old Account
    I would take a portable reforger over a repairing blacksmith any day. Reforging inside the dungeon so that you can equip your new gear immediately or so that a secondary spec is more viable would be very handy.

Honestly though the guild page/herald should be able to repair your gear using guild bank resources.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhybridx View Post
    It doesn't have to be for free. I wouldn't mind farming some ore to repair my gear though. That seems like a even trade to me. Maybe make it to where only plate and mail can be repaired. Maybe LW can repair leather/mail and tailors cloth. Even if the cost of the mats would be around the same as going through a vendor it still wouldn't really matter. It's just something that makes sense.
    I like this...have it actually be MORE expensive to repair your own gear. It's a convenience, and would still come in handy, but wouldn't replace repairing from a smith NPC entirely.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2012-02-14 at 05:11 PM.