Help playing a mage in LFG

Hello, seasoned Magi. I'm a Warrior by trade who recently picked up a mage that I haven't played since the second month of TBC and need to know what I'm supposed to spec/do in a dungeon. I'm lvl 66 and I have no idea what my rotation is and often find myself just spamming ice lance and hoping I kill things. Some guidance is needed. Most of the PvE guides I find are related to lvl 85 stuff with spells and abilities I don't yet have. I leveled this guy WAAAY back in vanilla and got 4 levels TBC when it launched and now have no clue what I'm doing, particularly in dungeons. I -think- I've figured out my priority list for playing as a frost mage while I level, but, what do I do in LFG?

Any tips, links, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Vallius; 2012-02-09 at 09:00 AM.
    "No better burden can a man carry on the road than a store of common sense." - Hávamál, st. 10

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    If you're doing LFG a lot go fire. It will destroy the other specs and make your dungeons go much faster, though youll pull aggro from bad tanks and be annoyed.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oZcf0bo

These talents are all you need to do sick damage in dungeons. Open with a pyroblast (hope it crits) then use blast wave to try and get impact to proc, then use impact to spread your dots to all the adds. Once you get improved flamestrike at around lvl 50 it becomes much easier to fish for impact procs. You don't get many more tools after lower levels to make guides for max level stuff unhelpful. Outside of that you'll be spamming fireball most of the time. Maybe use scorch to finish off enemies that will die before a fireball could be cast. I was doing 6k dps some pulls in early bc dungeons as fire, i just dont see anything else beating it for LFG leveling. Also, its fun.
    Last edited by Honkeymagoo; 2012-02-09 at 02:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflicerbob View Post
    If you're doing LFG a lot go fire. It will destroy the other specs and make your dungeons go much faster, though youll pull aggro from bad tanks and be annoyed.
    Frost is great for DPS until 80-85 and even up until you start LFR it's still competetive in dungeons/heroics. Not only do you do competetive DPS but you have some good survivability meaning if you do end up making a mistake, you're generaly covered if you keep your Frost Barrier up.

Don't go Arcane though, you'll be bored as f***. It does some nice DPS, but you'll probably get bored easily. Fire is quite fun, as said above. Fire can be good if you're planning on BGs too, but Frost even better. You can pretty much follow the compendium/guides in the stickies on how to gear/forge/enchant and rotation at that point is pretty much the same, just exclude the abilities you don't yet have.

Awesome, thank you much for the responses guys. I'll experiment with Fire and see how that works in LFG and also check out those guides for a Frost rotation.
    "No better burden can a man carry on the road than a store of common sense." - Hávamál, st. 10