Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Just a small update on the profiles thing - I did try it out slightly during my lunch break, just five minutes or so, and I couldn't really tell a difference (again, I run dual 6950's). That said, it was in a zone I hadn't really checked my FPS in before. Tomorrow I'll report back with performance in instanced and non-instanced areas.

Deleted
    So I've been eyeing Alienware for a while and I've got university coming up soon so I decided now is a good time to look into a laptop. Yes, it needs to be a laptop because I need to get it around the uni with me and I don't want to bring my desktop with me. (Also my desktop PC isn't powerful enough to run GW2 without serious FPS drops and horrid graphics.)

The laptop needs to be powerful enough to run GW2 on, preferably, the best settings possible.

I was aiming to spend around £2,000 and this is what I've got so far:

Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.6GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
    2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M
    6144MB (1x2GB + 1x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    18.4" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 with Bluetooth 4.0
    Primary 12-cell 96W/HR LI-ION

Total price for this build: £1,954

Can someone who knows what they're doing give me some advice? Is this PC good enough? Could I afford to upgrade/downgrade anything and save some money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Should be more than good enough lol, that GPU is one of the best attainable in notebooks period. CPU is obviously pretty solid too.

You'll just have to have it plugged in when you're playing, because with gaming stress the battery won't even last 40 mins (that's how long my friend's Asus G53 lasts for gaming). They're high-end components and it's a miracle they even work on a battery IMO :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shinzakuma View Post
    Thanks for reply Veysa. Honeltly was NOT expecting such responce heh. So even with oc Q9550 you get around 10 more fps then my C2D. wow .
    Im starting to blame both Anet and AMD for this ( from my experiance with radeons the drivers were near always poor/ bad ). I just cant belive that every player is running on i5/i7. I mean thous cpu's and NOT cheap lol . So in a nutshell changing to C2Q is just a waste of money atm.
    Thanks and cya in game ^^ ( slideshow style but still ... ).
    I think we just need to wait for them to fix it. At least we don't have to pay a subscription so we aren't really losing anything. Many people say that the game is running great for them but the truth is that they are getting only 30-40 fps and they think it's awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Should be more than good enough lol, that GPU is one of the best attainable in notebooks period. CPU is obviously pretty solid too.

You'll just have to have it plugged in when you're playing, because with gaming stress the battery won't even last 40 mins (that's how long my friend's Asus G53 lasts for gaming). They're high-end components and it's a miracle they even work on a battery IMO :P
    Thank you! I figured it would be good enough what with the price and all. :P

As for battery stress, in the past whenever I've had a laptop I've never played games with it unplugged. That's kinda normal though.

A little update.
    After overclocking cpu from 1.8 to 2.8 ghz the game got a boost of avg.10 fps on all boards. Still choppy but at least berable.
    Temp seems normal , but idk if such a boost will be safe for a long run.
    Veysa: Yea just petiance i guess . Im also waiting for AMD to fart another drivers :P .

GW2 can run on some shitty hardware, I'll tell ya. I've got an i7, 6Gbs of RAM, and a 330m.
    Laptop. Has trouble running SWTOR on anything other than low(Although this is because the optimization done by Bioware is absolute shit.).
    But is running GW2 fine and dandy.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

Deleted
    Ok, on one hand my PC is quite old, on the other I heard GW2 can run on some really shitty hardware, sooo

W7 64 bit, GF GTX 260, Dual-Core E6300, 4GB RAM - how does this look?

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Ok, on one hand my PC is quite old, on the other I heard GW2 can run on some really shitty hardware, sooo

W7 64 bit, GF GTX 260, Dual-Core E6300, 4GB RAM - how does this look?
    mostly low settings maybe some mid but u should be ok i would say around 25-30fps in place's without a lot of people and around 15-20fps with tons of people...could be a bit better as well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    So yeah, about them Catalyst Application Profiles...

I'm running the same as I've been for nine months now, dual 6950's in Crossfire and a FX-8120 OC'd to 4.1GHz.

Since installing the newest CAP, my FPS in outdoor areas has decreased from 45-50 to 38-42. In instanced areas, it's decreased from ~90 to 38-42.

Thoughts?

Le edit: After looking around a bit, seems I'm not the only one who noticed a performance loss after installing those CAPs. Results seem to be a mixed bag - some people see no difference, some say they've gained ~10 FPS, some rare cases report framerate being halved. So if you haven't yet installed the CAPs, keep this in mind.
    Last edited by mmoc10ec13b383; 2012-09-06 at 06:38 AM.

Deleted
    Anybody else has a problem with Vsync ? I'm running a radeon 7970, with FPS limiter to 60, it's smooth but a lot of tearing, without FPS limiter but Vsync On I'm at 30-50 fps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oglok View Post
    Anybody else has a problem with Vsync ? I'm running a radeon 7970, with FPS limiter to 60, it's smooth but a lot of tearing, without FPS limiter but Vsync On I'm at 30-50 fps.
    That's weird - especially considering setting the FPS limiter to 60 (assuming you have a 60Hz screen) has the exact same effect as turning Vsync on. No more, no less.

Deleted
    Not really the same effect. With FPS limiter to 60, Fraps is showing 63 + Tearing. With Vsync I'm at 60 and no tearing.

So far Shadows, Reflexions and Shaders are the only setting that decrease my FPS.
    Large battles you really need a big CPU, my I7 920 @ 3.2ghz is running at 20 FPS, low and max settings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oglok View Post
    Not really the same effect. With FPS limiter to 60, Fraps is showing 63 + Tearing. With Vsync I'm at 60 and no tearing.
    Really, it is the exact same effect. Vertical synchronization (feel free to google that if you'd like) only synchronizes your graphics card's frame output per second (FPS) with the amount of frames your screen is able to render per second (measured in Hz), ensuring that your graphic's card never produces more frames each second than the screen is able to utilize.

FPS limitation is the exact same technology, only instead of setting the FPS limitation to be equal to your screen's refresh rate, you're able to set it to whatever number you'd like - so for example if your graphics card is running really hot and you find that a solid 40 FPS is quite fine for what you expect out of gaming, you can set that there and thus reduce the load on your graphics card.

That the result differs for you genuinely baffles me. I'll give a call to a couple of friends I have this eve, they know far more than I about these sort of things.

can i play it on more than 30 fps? ( doesn't matter if it's on low i wanna know)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Basic 32-bit Service Pack 1
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2934MB RAM
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    DirectX 11
    Graphic card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 1274 MB
    sunshine avatar is so awesome *w*!.... <3
    http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7494/chopperoo.jpg
    (Sig too large)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diox990 View Post
    can i play it on more than 30 fps? ( doesn't matter if it's on low i wanna know)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Basic 32-bit Service Pack 1
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2934MB RAM
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    DirectX 11
    Graphic card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 1274 MB
    Absolute lowest. With lowered resolution as well.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Absolute lowest. With lowered resolution as well.
    Yup, it's the GFX card that isn't really the best

Hi everyone. Been enjoying GW2 for about a week now but I'm getting jealous of everyone drooling over the look of the game on higher settings. Right now I'm running low-mid settings with about 35fps and was wondering if its worth upgrading my video card or if the gains wouldnt really be worth the money spent because I'm bottle necking else ware in my system. Here's what I've got now:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    4gb DDR2 800 ram
    GeForce 250 GTS 1gb
    Core 2 Quad 2.67ghz

Looking at getting a GeForce 560 SE 1gb as an upgrade. Do you think I'll see enough gain to get into the mid-high graphics settings with just this upgrade?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardist View Post
    Yup, it's the GFX card that isn't really the best
    More of the fact that there is no GFX card :<

You're running onboard graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    More of the fact that there is no GFX card :<

You're running onboard graphics.
    it's a laptop i can't really buy another pc
    is there any way i can improve it's performance? :<
    sunshine avatar is so awesome *w*!.... <3
    http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7494/chopperoo.jpg