Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost Mage beaten by a BOOMKIN!..

I am very well geared FROST mage but the boomkin I was up against was better geared then I was with about 1500 extra SP. This boomkin did nothing but SUNFIRE spam me til I was dead. Going through my Ice Barrier like it was nothing.

Usually I don't bitch, but damn am I surprised by this. A boomkin! REALL!? LOL

Can the extra 1500 SP really make that much a difference?

Usually I don't have ANY problems with any class. I can be I would say 7 out of 10 people I face but a boomkin! Shocking my mind. How do you counter a boomkin just SPAMMING Sunfire?

Gear shouldn't be decisive in any match, stop being lazy and farm honor before taking pvp seriously. That's like an ilevel 346 dungeoner complaining heroic morchok hit him too hard.

Lectures aside, frost mages take some skill to beat other casters usually, and sometimes you're just gonna lose. I lost to a booming once because he never castes and I tunnel visioned trying to counter spell him until i was in too bad of a position.

The only reason they aren't played is because of lack of survivability. Other than that they will kill you before you realize it.

Fuck my iPhone. I forgot to add unless they use a PVE trinket then it's unfair. Otherwise it's fair (weapons included).

Edit I'm partially wrong, legendaries don't count. Neither does anything ANYTHING with a proc. I was generalizing to LFR 390 and normal mode 403 weapons being okay (in my opinion).
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2012-02-09 at 09:37 PM.

Deleted
    Maybe I am wrong because of my obvious lack of moonkin knowledge, but wouldn't sunfire spamming require him to start in that 'nature' eclipse? If so it's clearly not a fair duel, and can be compared to warriors starting with 100 rage, shadow priests with 3 shadow orbs/full evangelism, unholy DKs starting with 5 stacks on their pet and full runic power etc.

Other than that, you obviously didn't utilize ice block, ring of frost, counterspell, blink, ice block, fight resetting etc enough.

Deleted
    Anything that beats frost mages these days goes into my liking. I want this to be the case, i don't want you to beat him so i'm not gonna come up with any hints or such. But it was nice to hear some mage qq.

I believe whoever said starting in nature-stance whatever is right. You shouldn't start a duel/whatevs like that, or with extra buffs and such.

they're called boomkins for a reason. in bg's i put them as high on the kill priority list as arcane mages. let them do thier thing and you'll regret it
    somebody call for d doctor?

Deleted
    Their is a reason why boomkins are being chased down so hard by melee in battlegrounds, they do shit loads of dmg, but they have a hard time surviving, thats why you dont see them much, because no one would ever play something where you actualy had to think about what you do, rather reroll frost mage and just frost nova when someone atks you :/. (talking about random BG here, there is some better reasons they aint around more in "real" pvp :P)

Quote Originally Posted by domie1595 View Post
    (talking about random BG here, there is some better reasons they aint around more in "real" pvp :P)
    If you dont have a boomkin in your RBG group, you're asking to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    If you dont have a boomkin in your RBG group, you're asking to lose.
    Couldnt be more agree. We use 2 boomkins in our 2.5 main team. Both got dragonderp and HC cunning. Combine that with fire mage, affliction warlock and SP we just dot everything and watch everyone die while them cunnings proc (got 4 in total, all on HC)

Whats ur rbg rating, mudor?

I'm not expert in pvp so its just my humble opinion which I concluded after dueling relatively competent boomkin quite alot of times.

Boomkins do incredible dmg ... technically with just dmg trading you won't get anywhere against him as a mage in particular, he'll tear you apart with just, yeah, sunfire spam + starsurge procs (for those who think that eclipse is what matters - you are wrong - that lunar shower talent is pro for eclispe switching). You can't even freecast vs him easily coz he can just beam you so you gotta cs him all the time befroe you can properly shatter(which means 24sec downtime in proper shatters), unless you are planning to win a duel with just an icelance spam.
    To the fight: 1st deep is either barkskinned or trinketed, either of these 2 abilities go for 2nd deep so its 1 minute where only thing u can do is shatter him while he can morph into other form and break the roots (I think he can, right?), so, technically only way is to play really really defensively and try run away after he pops all his shit(starfall, trees etc) and just wait for that 1 minute (where u can land ur 3rd df and start doing some dmg there). In practice its all different. Sometimes u can actually not need that 3rd df coz ur shatters with lances will simply crit enuff to drop him or make him go defensive aka healing himself which is usually a win coz healing urself as a non-healer class vs a mage is a dead end imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boomkins will fuck you up if your a caster class and don't have experience.

Boomkins always seem to take people off guard. Their damage is extremely high but its offset by probably having some of the worst survivability of most classes in pvp.

That being said, you shouldn't have lost, so it was something YOU did wrong. Either by not fully using all your abilities, or being massively under geared, and if that's the case, you can't really expect to win.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

Quote Originally Posted by Makarena View Post
    Whats ur rbg rating, mudor?

I'm not expert in pvp so its just my humble opinion which I concluded after dueling relatively competent boomkin quite alot of times.

Boomkins do incredible dmg ... technically with just dmg trading you won't get anywhere against him as a mage in particular, he'll tear you apart with just, yeah, sunfire spam + starsurge procs (for those who think that eclipse is what matters - you are wrong - that lunar shower talent is pro for eclispe switching). You can't even freecast vs him easily coz he can just beam you so you gotta cs him all the time befroe you can properly shatter(which means 24sec downtime in proper shatters), unless you are planning to win a duel with just an icelance spam.
    To the fight: 1st deep is either barkskinned or trinketed, either of these 2 abilities go for 2nd deep so its 1 minute where only thing u can do is shatter him while he can morph into other form and break the roots (I think he can, right?), so, technically only way is to play really really defensively and try run away after he pops all his shit(starfall, trees etc) and just wait for that 1 minute (where u can land ur 3rd df and start doing some dmg there). In practice its all different. Sometimes u can actually not need that 3rd df coz ur shatters with lances will simply crit enuff to drop him or make him go defensive aka healing himself which is usually a win coz healing urself as a non-healer class vs a mage is a dead end imo.
    Our mmr is 2.5k, personal rating is 2.4k

Counterspell and Deep Freeze should of stunned him enough for you to kill him/be ahead in damage. Frost Mages have a hard time keeping up with damage in a caster battle. I find SPriests hard to kill alot of the time.

Unlike other specs, Moonkins do not CC you while they kill you. Which is the primary reason why they suck in 1v1.

Deleted
    Every time a frost mage gets slaughtered God smiles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    Unlike other specs, Moonkins do not CC you while they kill you. Which is the primary reason why they suck in 1v1.

This ^.

Boomkin have a shitload of burst once the appropriate buffs are up, but their survivability & kiting potential suck donkey balls due to how easy it is to spam offensive & defensive dispels.

That means if you see one kill it fast or that critchicken will fry your ass.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    When I dueled the Boomkin I mentioned above, he threw that silence beam on me and by the time I realized to move out of it he cycloned me (he switched forms).

You guys are right, I was caught off the fuck guard too. If I had redueled him I'd have won but that first time was crazy.

Boomkins can be deadly in pvp, especially since we can switch eclipses by spamming our fire spells. I always feel like a wrecking ball in bgs. If you can CC us for an extended amount of time though, we're fucked.